cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to buy a used RV

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a used Class C and am wondering what part of the country would be best to look for one given climate conditions and the affect on an older unit.
13 REPLIES 13

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We kept an eye on our local newspaper's ads and found our 32' Georgetown Class A. The advertisers were the original purchaser of the rig when new. They'd had to give up the lifestyle because of medical issues.

We had 4 good years with it, but found the cost of gasoline and CG overnights were so much higher than our earlier Class C experience, we had to bag it.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I personally am keeping an eye on rvtrader.com, as well as what hits PPL.

Texas generally doesn't seem to have issues with rust... but water damaged rigs are fairly common, so look closely for stains, discolorations, or soft spots...

I do say "generally". I came across one rig that had a lot of rust damage... found it lived its life in another coastal state, then brought to Texas.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hpymils wrote:
Thanks for the many replies. Looks like the North West is damp, the upper Mid West lots of snow and cold, the South East not too bad, Florida-wet, Arizona too hot, Southern Cal just right.

:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the many replies. Looks like the North West is damp, the upper Mid West lots of snow and cold, the South East not too bad, Florida-wet, Arizona too hot, Southern Cal just right.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ride a few hours south and check out Porter's RVs in Anderson SC. They have a large number of all sorts from truck campers to pushers. Never bought one from them but have toured their lot and they are very cordial in their contact. Have warranties available also

Right on I-85
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Calif has a lot of RVs for sale. I would not recommend AZ as the heat does a lot of damage inside and out. I know from experience as we have spent the last 18 winters there and I have RVs, 5th ws, Park Models, that I rent out .
samsontdog:o:W

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZ was recommended to me when I was looking but a quick trip to Craigslist showed that there were more RV's listed in Seattle than in all of AZ. Also RVs from hot places like AZ tend to have a lot more sun damage on them. I was told the stories of sunbirds who gave up RVing but those folks are few and far between, even in AZ.

We looked for 2 years for our current RV and finally found it from a private owner a short ferry ride from our home. We traveled several times to look at promising RVs that were a disappointment when viewed in person. My recommendation would be to limit your search to where you can drive and see potential RVs. It is a huge waste of time and money driving or flying long distances to see used RVs especially older used RVs. Pictures never tell the full story and sellers often have rose colored glasses on that don't allow them to see the flaws of their unit. After a prospective RV passes your thorough exam, then hire a professional to do a complete house and chassis inspection. It is money well spent.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess central or northern states actually. Especially if you can find a private seller that wasn't a snowbird and just used their RV during a 5 month camping season.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I also second looking in the dryer states in the southwest and definitely not on the coast. You will find a lot of RVs for sale in Arizona.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
www.searchtempest.com

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
AZ

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
stay away from the coastal sites. unless of course you like rust.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Southwest would be my choice,a lot drier, not prone to freezing weather, snow, and a lot of things that put a strain on the Exterior of the RV that will lead to leaks and delamination, a major problem.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C