cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing 2004 Chevy Tracker questions

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at purchasing a 2004 Chevy Tracker 4x4 for use as a dinghy. A couple questions--

The online towing guide says to cycle the transfer case fluid every 200 miles. Does this just mean to start the vehicle and shift the transfer case and transmission through all gears, or does it require driving the Tracker?

What is the height of the baseplate from the ground? The ones I've looked at come out right under the bumper.

Our Motorhome has the hitch at about 22" off the ground, so wondering approximate amount of a dropped receiver that will be needed.

Thanks-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
11 REPLIES 11

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, All the Trackers we could find around here turned to be used up rusted things that wouldn't work for us. We were really hoping to find one due to its weight, towability, and reliability expressed by other RVers. We ended up spending a lot more money for a Jeep Wrangler. It seems to be in very good condition. We hope it turns out to be a good toad for us.

Thanks again for all the replies-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I did some research and found a good writeup about Tracker hubs, 1999 and later only. From this description it's apparent that the front-end parts that rotate while towing are the same parts that rotate when driving in 2WD. Also although manual hubs could be installed you couldn't actually get 4WD without modifying the front diff.

I had a Jeep Cherokee for 18 years that had the same sort of vacuum-locked front end and it failed occasionally, once a bad vacuum tank but usually a bad hose or hose connection.

"This is a great system to avoid lockout hubs, if it was not prone to so many issues. Here is how it works: When you shift into 4WD-Lo or 4WD-Hi, a switch is closed which starts a low pressure air pump (about 5 to 8PSI) located behind the front bumper. This pump has an integral pressure switch, which lights the 4WD dash light when pressure limit of about 5PSI is reached (and held). The pump is connected to an actuator in the front axle housing, and it is this actuator ring that expands under air pressure to engage some teeth in the differential, which locks the differential to the axles, performing the same function as external lock out hubs. The pump should be able to expand the spring loaded actuator ring to engage 4WD within about 2 seconds, and will time out after about 10 seconds, if the pressure switch senses that a pressure of about 5PSI has not been reached in that time. When the tranfer case lever is taken out of 4WD, the switch is opened, which stops the pump and drops the pressure to the actuator and turns off the 4WD light because the pressure switch opens. The spring loaded actuator returns to the default 2WD position, and the differential becomes isolated from the axles."
-jbh-

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
That doc says the same as my 2001 Tracker manual, no mention of hubs. The 2001 Tracker does have CV joints.

My installer brought the hub issue to my attention.

Replacement kit is easy and inexpensive.

You can not tow with the auto hubs you have to have or switch them out to manual hubs to tow four down.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 2004 Tracker 4x4 for over 50,000 miles and it was a wonderful toad. Never caused us any problems. We did as others, and as our manual told us to. We stopped at least every 200 miles and let it idle at 2000 rpm for 60 seconds, as I recall.

Ed Headington

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
That doc says the same as my 2001 Tracker manual, no mention of hubs. The 2001 Tracker does have CV joints.
-jbh-

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the towing bible from GM: For 1995 to 2005 cars.

I don't know how to post a pdf but this will get your there.

Has ALL the info you will need. It will come up as a downloaded PDF file.

It is 5 pages and explicitly step by step tells you how to do everything to tow it four down, and starting it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi8pcK5gpTL...

I copied it and had it taped to the visor. In case someone else had to get my toad home for me. :C

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Just a heads up: check to see what type of lock out hubs you have.
You MUST have "manual" lock out hubs to tow four down. If you have the 'automatic" lock out hubs they can be changed to manual. This is for all makes and models of the Tracker.
do.

I "think" later years could have auto hubs but be sure to check it out. I know JCWhitney sold replacement manual hubs at one time.
bumpy

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Each one may be different but my older tracker stated start every 250 miles. Just started it still hooked up to the MH.

Check your manual info for your year tracker as to where the gear shifts for both the 4x4 and car need to be in when running it. It does have to be moved during the running period.

My base plate came out 'under' the bumper also. No problem.

Just a heads up: check to see what type of lock out hubs you have.
You MUST have "manual" lock out hubs to tow four down. If you have the 'automatic" lock out hubs they can be changed to manual. This is for all makes and models of the Tracker.

Each year is different, and sometimes different within the year of manufacturing. Do a search to find the towing info on your make, year and model. Don't rely on others telling you what to do.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
From my 2001 Tracker manual:
); leave a manual transmission in
SECOND (2) with the clutch engaged. Run the engine at
medium speed for one minute to circulate oil in the
transfer case. Turn the ignition key to ACC. Now, you
can continue towing your vehicle.

yep, that is what I did with mine.
bumpy

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
From my 2001 Tracker manual:

Stop towing every 200 miles (300 km) and start the
engine. Leave the transfer case shift lever in
NEUTRAL. Shift your automatic transmission to
DRIVE (D); leave a manual transmission in
SECOND (2) with the clutch engaged. Run the engine at
medium speed for one minute to circulate oil in the
transfer case. Turn the ignition key to ACC. Now, you
can continue towing your vehicle.
-jbh-

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a bit older model and had to start it every 200 miles and IIRC didn't need to shift gears as I never disconnected it to do so. might have gone thru some gears while clutch was in???? at that time if it had automatic hubs it wasn't towable 4 down.
bumpy