cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Jayco Jayflight 27bh

SpartanMan
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure I'm overweight for my vehicle. I am towing a 2004 Jayco Jayflight 27bh with a dry weight of 4912 and a gvwr of 7500. I just towed it with my 1999 GMC Yukon SLT which has a gvwr of 6800. Engine is 4.8L/V8. Hitch with WD is 10000 and tongue weight WD is 1000. I use a Reese dual cam system. Tow vehicle has four of us in it, two of which are two young kids. Thoughts everyone???

I'm thinking of getting a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD with a 4.6L/V8 or a 1999 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD with a 5.4L/V8. How would either of these vehicles do? What other vehicles would work well?
5 REPLIES 5

SpartanMan
Explorer
Explorer
My mistake, it is a 5.7. The max payload is 1,468. Axle ratio is 3.73. I'm trying to decipher the codes.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
SpartanMan wrote:
Max tow in specs for Yukon says 6500 pounds.

Which assumes that all the options, towing package, cooling, gearing, etc, are installed to get this max towing ability. Your real capacity might be lower. It's all laid out in the towing section of your manual. The RPO code list in your glove box will show you what option packages you have, including gears. Here's a link to help dechpher the codes.

A '99 4.8l? Are you sure? I thought those only came with 5.7s?

Yes, we need to more about your available payload.

However, my opinion is that you are either overloaded or very close to capacity. I've towed close to capacity twice. You'll be looking at a bigger tow vehicle in a year.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

SpartanMan
Explorer
Explorer
Max tow in specs for Yukon says 6500 pounds.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
You gave us the gross weight ratings for the trailer and the truck, but not what your trucks tow rating or payload nor any actual weights. Useless!!!

Get the trailer weighed, provide the truck specs, then ask for opinions.

As far as switching trucks...I don't see either of the options listed as a significant upgrade. You could gain towing capacity, but if your in specs today and your Yukon tows well, why change at all. In addition, you haven't given any price point for which you are shopping.

The lack of info will result in a lack of good responses.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the same vehicle...differences will be in the IRS and badge...

Both in the same GVWR class, same RGAWR class, same tire class ('P'
or passenger tire), etc, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...