cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing two trailer at one time

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been amazed by the people who tow a RV and their boat at the same time, but I'm curious if it changes how you drive? Can you back-up both trailers at the same time in a normal fashion or is there a trick? How do they handle taking turns?
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP
36 REPLIES 36

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I believe that to tow 2 trailers, one of them has to be a 5th wheel. At least that's the law in AZ. The guy with the camper towing two trailers needed to be stopped in his tracks.

In some states, that is true, the first trailer has to have a fifth wheel hitch.
In other states, a truck/ball hitch/ball hitch is perfectly legal.
As with so many laws, it is VERY state specific.
In many states, towing RV doubles (truck/trailer/trailer) is simply not legal under any circumstances.
Some states require a special license, some don't. At least one state apparently requires a Class A CDL with Doubles Endorsement. It seems that is the only license that can carry a Doubles Endorsement in that state!
Reciprocity Agreements do not usually apply. Just because it is legal in your state does not necessarily mean you can cross the state line!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I can back up the 2nd trailer, just have takes a lot more concentration. Other than that... I just have to be aware I'm another 20' longer, and I leave more stopping room because the combination is more likely to become unsettled during emergency maneuvers (it hasn't been a problem for me, but physics). The 2nd trailer tires track almost exactly with the first trailer.

If the 2nd trailer isn't as wide as the first, definitely consider a camera, or you would never know if something is wrong, and not being able see it until it turns would make backing almost impossible.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that to tow 2 trailers, one of them has to be a 5th wheel. At least that's the law in AZ. The guy with the camper towing two trailers needed to be stopped in his tracks.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Big issue is that they are not legal in all states. I say a guy with a TC, horse trailer (2 horse) and boat. A state cop had him pulled over, he was not allowed to continue.

Just because it's legal where you licensed them, doesn't mean you're legal in other states.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My trailer behind FW, tracks very true to the FW. As you may know, a FW does track to the inside, so you still have to allow for wider turn.

You can back two trailers, but not too far.

Jerry

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
You can back them up, pretty easily in fact.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0VHFK7Njps

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You can't really back them up. Going down the highway isn't much different, though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB