cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toyota pickup

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
Can the newer Toyota pickup 4x4 automatic be towed 4 down? I have not really looked but they only have one shifter in the floor and not one for the transfer case.
12 REPLIES 12

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Trd is not a model it is a submodel. Neither any 2018 Tacoma for Tundra is listed by either motrhomemagazine it Fmcaas towable. Actually no 2018 Toyota truck is tiwable. I even checked the owners manuals and both trucks require all 4 wheels off the ground for any towing. There Are no optional transfer cases for ANY Toyota truck. All are electronic with no neutral. I think you are confusing today,scomplicated electronic vehicles with Toyotas from years ago. I had a 2005 Tacoma and had to install a diveshaft disconnect. For some reason theJapanese mfrs. Don't want to approve vehicles for towing.
Moisheh

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
OK didn't see the Tacoma part. The talk was about 16?-17-18 models like the TRD and some sport model has the trans needed.

LEN

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Olylen. The discussion is about newre Tacoma's. I went and looked at the 2018 Taco brochure. I do not see any model with that trasfer case. They are all part time and electronic and no neutral position. I think at one time some of the Foreunners were as you described. If you can provide a link to information that proves me wrong I will eat crow.

Moisheh

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but there ARE two models that can be towed 4 down and they are part time with a neutral position in the transfer. That makes them part time, 2 high 4 high, neutral and 4 low. Think its the same transfer as my 2000 4-runner I tow 4 down.

LEN

ELeland
Explorer
Explorer
There is a way! I tow my 2016 Tacoma 4x4 automatic with push button start 4 down.

Basically driveshaft disconnect and battery disconnect to keep the steering unlocked. I did notice that Blue Ox only offers the base plates for 2016 and 2017 models. I do not know what the difference may be with the 2018 as they look identical from the outside.

PM me if you need the details.

Ed
Ed & Karen
2003 365 Airstream Land Yacht XC
CAT 300 3126E
2016 Tacoma 4X4 Toad

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Towability has nothing to do with part time 4wd. The transfer case has to have a neutral position. Domestic trucks have available transfer cases with a neutral. Toyota trucks have not had a neutral position since around 2005. The tf is electronic with no neutral. They are part time 4wd. A driveshaft disconnect can solve that problem. You can download owners manuals and see what Toyota says about dinghy towing.

Moisheh

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
There are two models that can be towed four down, but they are the costly part time 4x4 models. Do a search and you can find them.

LEN

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think Toyota wants you to use a dolly. A Tacoma can be towed 4 down with a Driveshaft disconnect. There are some users on IRV2 with info as to how it is done. A little tricky if it has push button start.

Moisheh

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
If the Toyota 4X4 product in question does not have a manually shifted transfer case with a neutral position it CANNOT be towed 4down as is. You would need to install a rear driveshaft disconnect device.

Whammon1
Explorer
Explorer
It cannot be towed 4 down. Has to be on a dolly with differential in neutral.

I work for Toyota.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The best source of information is the owners manual for the truck.
Does the truck have a switch on the dashboard to control the transfer case?

If you have the info on a particular truck you can also check with REMCO TOWING.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
What does the book say?