cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tragedy involving RV, probably caused by RV.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
The newspaper article is not yet online, but according to the Livingston, Montana Enterprise's Thursday edition, the driver of a Class C RV was killed on highway 89 several miles north of Yellowstone National Park. The driver was struck by a piece of an equalizer hitch, likely from another RV, that penetrated the windshield and striking and killing the driver. The highway patrol went on to say it was doubtful the piece was laying on the highway, since that would have made it highly unlikely that it would be able to enter the windshield. This would mean it fell off of an RV traveling that section of highway (likely southbound towards Yellowstone, around 9 AM on 7/15/2014. The highway patrol is investigating the incident and an autopsy is pending.
****personal comment***** There is a reason for the safety pins on those hitch components. It is likely that someone either didn't want to take the 30 seconds to install them, didn't think it was that big a deal so it slipped their mind, or didn't want to pay the $5.00 to replace a lost one and now someone is dead. Pay attention to what you are doing. And if you know someone who lost a part of their hitch in that location, please do the right thing and contact the authorities.
22 REPLIES 22

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of why or how this accident happened, this is a good reminder for us to check and double check everything that might vibrate loose from our rigs.

I had two bicycles fall off the rack and onto the interstate. Luckily no one hit them and no injuries or damage resulted. It sure woke me up to the hazards though.
Tom & Carol

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I met a pickup pulling a trailer with a Bobcat type loader on it two days ago. Just before I met him, I saw something fly out. It came over into my lane.

It was the front door, frame with two panes of glass in it. I dodged to the shoulder, managing to miss the frame, but hit broken glass from it.

If the wind had been stronger, and I had been two seconds ahead of where I was, that sucker could have come thru my windshield! I imagine he had pulled that hundreds of times without a problem.

He kept going. I do not believe he even knew what happened. Crud happens. Be prepared.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Terrible thing to happen but the Op sure is assuming a lot as to why.

X2 The world is an imperfect place. Things just happen for no reason and it's no one's fault.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
When I read this last night, I felt the OP had some sort of pet peeve about clips and made a giant and likely flawed leap to a conclusion that someone left out a locking clip and killed someone...

Upon further thought, perhaps the message needs to be that we have a whole bunch of heavy metal hardware in our equalizer hitches and that it's probably worthwhile to pause and double check that everything is secure and sound.

Back to the incident- maybe the part owner did nothing wrong, maybe he negligently skipped a step, or maybe he followed the rules, but missed something insidious- a rusted bracket or bolt?...that seemed ok but in hindsight, maybe should have been addressed and might have prevented this tragedy?

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Although this is a bit different, it is still the same.

2X4 through windshield! It happens that fast!!!

Don`t follow too close! and lets not start on how the guy shouldn`t have been recording while driving!

Holy*%&# That made me jump out of my chair
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although this is a bit different, it is still the same.

2X4 through windshield! It happens that fast!!!

Don`t follow too close! and lets not start on how the guy shouldn`t have been recording while driving!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
That is sad for the driver.
Sometimes parts just fail, sometimes it is neglect or even ignorance.

On my last trip back from Mexico one of my TT leaf springs failed and both 6" ends of the second leaf snapped off.

Had it replaced in a small town on the way home. FF to a week later when all 4 new springs came to my house, I installed them. I noticed that one or both broken off pieces hit the ground and were then flung up into the bottom of the trailer hitting metal and making a big dent and scrape. Had someone been following too close they could have gotten some flying metal.
It will make me keep a little more distance from now on.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
"Equalizing" is not necessarily "Equilizer" either... Could have been a part from another type of WD hitch. Really can't tell much of anything from the information given thus far. Very tragic bad luck though.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to say if the mystery part was kicked up off the road or thrown from an overpass (which happens from time to time). Tragedy for sure.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Re safety pins.. I have lost a safety pin while towing, and had another one almost vanish on me.. NOT the result of vandals in either case as the pins were installed just before starting moving and vandals would have been flattened had they messed with those pins.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Here are some quotes from the newspaper article.

"The object that went through the windshield has been identified as some type of a bracket for an equalizing hitch on a trailer, he said."

"No one knows which vehicle the component fell from, and no one saw it actually fall, but itโ€™s unlikely the object would have reached the windshield if it had just been sitting on the road, Nilan said."

IF this is correct, "bracket", then most likely a failure. Most "brackets" are attached, more or less permanently, to the trailer hitch.

But, still so vague as to not know for sure.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
removed
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some quotes from the newspaper article.

"The object that went through the windshield has been identified as some type of a bracket for an equalizing hitch on a trailer, he said."

"No one knows which vehicle the component fell from, and no one saw it actually fall, but itโ€™s unlikely the object would have reached the windshield if it had just been sitting on the road, Nilan said."

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to an article no mention of what "the object" was.

Anything can get kicked up off the road surface and become a deadly missile. Sad.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure