cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer stair bounce

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use outside to stop the trailer stair bounce ? Small bottle jacks ?
28 REPLIES 28

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

I make 2 of these and give them away each winter.

chevman

Very cool!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

I make 2 of these and give them away each winter.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Agree with you. Our 5th wheel is pretty stable when inside. Using the steps without the load lock causes the trailer to move."

Exactly my point, it's the suspension moving, not the steps flexing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
LOFAT36 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
A quick "google" search "RV step support" will bring up several different types available. Two are needed, one will be "OK" but two will be much better!

Over time the bounce will cause wear in the pivot points and you will find that the steps will need replacing or repairing.
I don't see how the movement of his 5th wheel is going to cause wear in the pivot points. It's not the steps that are bouncing, it's the movement of someone going up and down the stairs that is causing the 5th wheel to move on it's suspension. Keep the steps from flexing from weight on them and you should solve most of the issue.

A simple prop under the bottom most step that doesn't pivot should help. A prop under the bottom step will stop it from moving, but you'll still have movement when you step from the bottom step to the next one if your bottom step pivots because your steps are hinged at various places, and not solid.

The OP said that the stairs were bouncing,not the trailer.
Seems pretty obvious that if it was just the stairs bouncing you wouldn't even feel it, so the trailer is bouncing because of the weight on the stairs. Ergo, it's the trailer bouncing. If the trailer were solid the stairs wouldn't be an issue. Stopping the stairs moving stops the trailer rocking.
I disagree. When I put any weight on the bottom step the stair flexes.

Agree with you. Our 5th wheel is pretty stable when inside. Using the steps without the load lock causes the trailer to move.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
A quick "google" search "RV step support" will bring up several different types available. Two are needed, one will be "OK" but two will be much better!

Over time the bounce will cause wear in the pivot points and you will find that the steps will need replacing or repairing.
I don't see how the movement of his 5th wheel is going to cause wear in the pivot points. It's not the steps that are bouncing, it's the movement of someone going up and down the stairs that is causing the 5th wheel to move on it's suspension. Keep the steps from flexing from weight on them and you should solve most of the issue.

A simple prop under the bottom most step that doesn't pivot should help. A prop under the bottom step will stop it from moving, but you'll still have movement when you step from the bottom step to the next one if your bottom step pivots because your steps are hinged at various places, and not solid.

Seems pretty obvious that if it was just the stairs bouncing you wouldn't even feel it, so the trailer is bouncing because of the weight on the stairs. Ergo, it's the trailer bouncing. If the trailer were solid the stairs wouldn't be an issue. Stopping the stairs moving stops the trailer rocking.
I disagree. When I put any weight on the bottom step the stair flexes.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
restlesswind wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
I've used an adjustable load lock under the top step. Solved the problem and much lighter than the bottle jack.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
restlesswind wrote:

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
Got the pair of Camco supports today. They work slick & with coarse thread they spin up fast. My lady & I are quite pleased.
Thanks for posting this update. Glad it worked out for you. I think you'll love them.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Got the pair of Camco supports today. They work slick & with coarse thread they spin up fast. My lady & I are quite pleased.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
restlesswind wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered two Camco supports through Amazon

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06