cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer Tire Pressure

hayesdt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a 28' travel trailer that weighs in loaded around 6,400 lbs. It has Load Range C tires that are rated at 50 max psi.

Just wondering what recommendations folks have for the travel trailer tire pressure I should be using when towing? 40 psi? 35 psi?

Thanks.
DTH
2014 Ford F-150 STX, 4X4, 5.0 engine, 3.73 gearing paired with 2018 Keystone Hideout 202LHSTravel Trailer
6 REPLIES 6

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
Someone will come on and post that they air them down some to improve ride quality.....:S.. (I hope no one is traveling IN the trailer so that they need improved "ride quality")

And those are probably the guys that don't pay an extra $2/tire to balance them... but are worried about "ride quality" and air down...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
there are some exeptions to using "maximum pressure"of tires for trailers.
One is if the tires are oversised for the trailer, then you can use savely a lower pressure.

But if the tires are ST tires , they are calculated in their maximum load for a lower speed of 65m/h, and then its sometimes better to use even a higher pressure then what most think is the maximum pressure.
Up to 10 psi most tire makers alow it higher then maxloadpressure ( AT yyy PSI called reference-pressure in the official formula I once got hold of. This is not the maximum pressure of a tire as they only give on P-tires and XL/reinforced/Extraload tires.
So your 50 psi is allowed even 60 psi .

So give maximum load, reference pressure ( that 50 psi) and the speedcode or if they are ST tires.
The load of your trailer you already gave.
then I will put it in my calculator and give and advice.

hayesdt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good information. Will indeed use 50 psi.
DTH
2014 Ford F-150 STX, 4X4, 5.0 engine, 3.73 gearing paired with 2018 Keystone Hideout 202LHSTravel Trailer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
ALWAYS air trailer tires to the max as stamped on the side wall.

Someone will come on and post that they air them down some to improve ride quality.....:S.. (I hope no one is traveling IN the trailer so that they need improved "ride quality")
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
ditto on what rexlion said, keep them tires inflated. Just like MH tires, they will dry rot in 4 to 6 years, long before they wear out if kept properly inflated.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Set for 50 PSI. The lower your pressure, the lower the load capacity (beneath the tire's sidewall rating). People already complain about the lousy quality of trailer tires and about all the blowouts. Don't gamble with low tire pressures!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point