cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

truck/trailer sway

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
This spring we purchased our first trailer. It is a 28 foot Grey Wolf toy hauler. It weighs about 5000 lbs and we usually carry about another 1000 lbs.

I've towed boats but never anything with a higher profile like a camper trailer. When we puruchased the trailer we also purchased a blue ox sway bar.

When there is wind and I'm towing on the interstate I feel like there is some slight sway. Not terrible but bad enough I have to slow down and keep both hands on the steering wheel. Also, bad enough that my wife won't help with the driving. When a semi passes I definitely feel sway...or like I momentarily lose total control.

Based on conversations with blue ox, and watching their videos, I've made adjustments and it is better but still doesn't seem right.

My tow vehicle is a 2020 Chevrolet half ton with the max tow package...rated to tow 11,300 lbs.

Is there something better, or in addition, to my blue ox sway bar? We plan on taking several long trips and I'm not sure that I feel comfortable the way it currently tows.

Any help is appreciated!
56 REPLIES 56

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
So glad you found a solution. The hitch you picked is pricey, but compared to the camper and truck, not such a big deal with all the benefit you get from it. Camping is no fun if you hate driving to get there. Plus the safety is hard to put a price on. In your case you were not correcting for an overloaded truck, just a combo that didn't want to work well.

In my opinion, the Blue Ox doesn't really have much in its design that will radically improve sway. I have not experience with it but I am an engineer with a lot of experience with a lot of things and a lot of experience towing. I've used no sway control, a simple friction bar, and the Reese Dual Cam. I've been using the Dual Cam for 11+ years now and I love it. I think the brackets that connect to the trailer and not designed well and often need additional help in staying in place. But the sway control they provide is considerable. The simple friction bar to me helped a lot if tightened enough, but it also tended to hold the trailer and TV in a non-straight line. Where ever it stopped in its movement, it just wanted to stay there. It was hard to drive straight. The Dual Cam is always happy to drive straight ahead and provide even greater sway control than a friction bar. The cams want to stay in the straight ahead position on the Dual Cam. Mine is quite although on my current trailer (1200-1300 lbs TW) I do need to use a little Vaseline on the cams. I never had to on my prior trailer with 850 lbs of TW. Both of my trailers have tended to run 15% + TW. No issues. The other thing that makes a huge difference is tire construction. Depending on the vehicle tire size/type that may mean a switch to a higher performance tire that also has a higher speed rating. Or typically on a truck that means switching to a load range E LT tire.

The Hensley or Propride are a hitch category of their own and seem to be well worth it if you have the money to spare. Glad you are happy with your solution! Happy camping!!
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news allkidd. Happy for you and glad that you found a solution.I was one of those who thought your weight numbers were good and thought that your hitch might be the problem. Enjoy all of your future trips but be careful about the speed. I aim for 65, will hit 70 now and then but reel it back when going over 70. Too many things can go wrong in a very short time. All it takes is an exciting blow out on a hot day at high speed to make you a believer.

Also glad that the "get a bigger truck" crowd didn't jump into this thread. You have a very workable combo.

Best wishes.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, make sure you are getting the correct link in the slot. Count the individual links from the FREE END of the chain to the ninth one, slide this one in the slot and rotate the latch till it locks.

Some said you are transferring too much weight back to the front wheels, this leads me to think you have the wrong link of chain. Only go to the tenth or eleventh link if you need to put more weight on the front.

Do you have the right bars? They should have three dimples machined in them near the fat end of the bar that would be 1000 lb bars.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to follow up with my new pro pride hitch system. We just got back from our first pro pride trip and it was fantastic! No sway at all. What a difference from what I was experiencing.

On the way down we had a 30 mph cross wind. Of course, my rig felt the wind but there was no sway and the wind movement was totally predictable.

With the propride I was able to drive the 70 mph speed limit or even faster. On the way home my wife drove for a bit and felt totally comfortable.

Very expensive but based on my previous experience, very worth the money.

Again, thanks to everybody for the help as it was greatly appreciated!

pullin2
Explorer
Explorer
allkidd wrote:

I hate to put out this much money but I ordered a Propride hitch. They appear to be the best.

I have one (a Hensley, but same folks). It doesn't reduce sway. It removes it -- the word disappears from your vocabulary and the problem will become a distant memory.

Trust me. When you install the Pro-Pride it will fix the problem entirely.

Let us know how it works!
RB, JC (& a few dogs)
2017 Ram CC LB Cummins,
35' Windjammer
30' Sea Ray
I used to tandem-tow (hence my username), but my trailers grew too big.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sway like trailer would just take off on it's own with no/minimal input that would make it sway? Like have to use the trailer brakes to pull it back in line?
IMO, that heavy of tongue weight and light in the @ss end since you aren't hauling heavy toys in it, "should" add to the stability.
Sorry to hear this, but before spending big bucks on a new hitch, maybe analyze what kind of "sway" you were getting and what your past experience and expectations are for comparison to the current experience toeing this trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a Colorado trip and the trailer definitely sways. I've tried everything including many adjustments suggested by Blue Ox but nothing seems to work. Not much fun driving on highway knowing sway can occur at any time.

I hate to put out this much money but I ordered a Propride hitch. They appear to be the best.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Your weights look good.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
OK I haven't been on here in a while and I skimmed the replies. I had that squirrely feeling with my Blue Ox and just couldn't get it tuned in. I talked with Blue Ox several times and finally a tech at Blue Ox said in some rare tuck/trailer combos the trucks built in traction control/anti sway fought the Blue Ox set up. He suggested shutting off the traction control. I did it and now it's the best towing trailer that I've ever towed.

I never thought of the traction control being a problem. I will give it a try...thanks!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
OK I haven't been on here in a while and I skimmed the replies. I had that squirrely feeling with my Blue Ox and just couldn't get it tuned in. I talked with Blue Ox several times and finally a tech at Blue Ox said in some rare tuck/trailer combos the trucks built in traction control/anti sway fought the Blue Ox set up. He suggested shutting off the traction control. I did it and now it's the best towing trailer that I've ever towed.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
I hate to say it, hes pretty good on weight. And i still say lt tires will help some. But in the end its a bigger TT and there will be some assosiations that come with that. You could get lt tires, bigger suspention in the back but it will still be work. Just the way it is. ( i still think the tires will help a lot). The guys that say they have a half ton pick up and tow 6000lbs TT and dont feel it are not atually telling the whole story.

Sounds like my trailer with my 1/2 ton. Do I feel it? yes the truck accelerates and slows longer than no trailer. Can I drive with one hand ? yes! Does it sway? NO! Does it suck push with semis passing? depends on their passing speed. Do I need a bigger truck? Nope!! It's a pleasure to tow. Could be because my 1/2 ton runs about 7000lbs (it's gross is 7050) and the camper is only 6500.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Question to the OP. What have you towed before?
Itโ€™s a trailer. Heavy tongue weight (expected. Load 1000lbs in the back and report back to us.
Or get over the fact that pulling a trailer doesnโ€™t feel like driving a buick.
Sheesh
Youโ€™re good
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
allkidd wrote:
According to a calculator I found online, my tongue weight is 18%. I think everybody agrees this is too high.

How do I bring this down?

As suggested, I increased my truck tire pressure to 50. For the short highway drive to the weight station, it seemed to help some but don't think it is the total solution.

Several have mentioned the equalizer as the best system. I might be interested in switching. My Blue Ox uses chains for connection and it is very difficult to get it as tight as the manufacturer recommends. I have to raise the hitch way high to get it latched on and off. Even at that it requires a lot of strength of which I'm not sure I will have enough of everyday.

I ran the Reese Dual Cam system on mine and was very happy with it. No sway and easy to hook up.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to say it, hes pretty good on weight. And i still say lt tires will help some. But in the end its a bigger TT and there will be some assosiations that come with that. You could get lt tires, bigger suspention in the back but it will still be work. Just the way it is. ( i still think the tires will help a lot). The guys that say they have a half ton pick up and tow 6000lbs TT and dont feel it are not atually telling the whole story.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.