cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U/P Michigan or Minnesota?

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, my lovely bride and I want to take a two week trip up north in August to get away from the mid-west heat. We're thinking about the U/P of Michigan or someplace in Minnesota but have been to neither one so we're looking for suggestions on where to stay. We don't require lots of activities, we just enjoy visiting our camping neighbors and going out to eat and generally unwinding. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Paul & Margie
32 REPLIES 32

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
Both northern Mn and the UP can be hot, humid, cold, dry, wet, rainy, or sunny. The bugs can be bad in both places. Not much of a difference. If the wind is from the north, drier and cooler. Wind from the south means warmer and more humid.

Both places are beautiful and peaceful, if you find the right campground.

In MN, the state parks fill up fast for August. All state parks with camping have some non-reservable sites. Get there on a Monday morning or Tuesday morning and you can nab one of these and stay up to 2 weeks... There are a few electric and non-electric sites in this category.

There are plenty of city, county, and private parks in the upper half of MN. Finding a place to camp shouldn't be a problem...

Good luck
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both places are great to visit.We like the upper U.P. the best. When it gets hot we go over and camp by lake Michigan to beat the summer heat. Have a great vacation.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot of Minnesota can be just as hot as Missouri in August, plus you have to put up with the mosquitoes too, and the humidity can be equally fearsome. We spent several summers there when I was a child. Lots of lakes though if you like to fish, boat, or canoe.

I was in the UP in August after leaving the Oshkosh fly-in and the weather was pretty pleasant. However you'll have to get more information from someone who had been there more than the one time I passed through.

My choice would be the UP.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"