cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

use of sway bars

citiznmikem
Explorer
Explorer
I am relatively new at rving and am preparing my first long trip. Have a Tundra 5.7 with towing pkg. TT is a 27' Wilderness @ 7200 lbs gvwr. Using a wd Kurt hitch. It seems to tow fine, but I've read that use of sway bars would enhance safety. Could someone explain the use of sway bars and recommend a compatible brand?
3 REPLIES 3

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Most manufacturers recommend using two friction sway controls on trailers larger than 25 feet. The sway bar simply fastens on between the hitch head and the trailer A frame via two small balls and a clip. This stiffens up the connection between the two vehicles and helps to keep them in line. I would strongly advise getting them as, even though you say it tows well, there can be many situations develop that would require one and if you don't have it, it is too late to get one. They are all about the same so don't worry about the brand.
Here is what I am talking about.
Barney

What he says, two not one makes a huge difference.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than an separate sway control, I'd use something like the Reese Dual Cam Straight Line which has sway control integral with the hitch. It is a well proven older design.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most manufacturers recommend using two friction sway controls on trailers larger than 25 feet. The sway bar simply fastens on between the hitch head and the trailer A frame via two small balls and a clip. This stiffens up the connection between the two vehicles and helps to keep them in line. I would strongly advise getting them as, even though you say it tows well, there can be many situations develop that would require one and if you don't have it, it is too late to get one. They are all about the same so don't worry about the brand.
Here is what I am talking about.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine