cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using my Travato 59G in below freezing temps

Ralphie76
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer tells me my Winnebago Travato 59G has all the plumbing lines within the heated space. And it has tank heaters for the grey and black water tanks. Does anyone have experience camping in a 59G in temps well below freezing (less than 25 degrees)? If so, did you have any problems with frozen plumbing? Any damage to the shower pump or the waste water pump?

Ralphie76
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
3 REPLIES 3

Ralphie76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments and advice. We'll keep it well heated.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My Class b, 1997 Xplorer 230XL, has all the plumbing inside the heated space, but nothing on the grey water tank underneath. My freshwater tank & pump are under the bed which is an enclosed area without heat input though, so it depends on heat warming the areas walls. I was turkey hunting in WY in April and 1 morning it was 8. The lines to the water pump froze. No permanent damage after I thawed that out. I also use it deer hunting and one year even the fresh water tank froze solid. I was using my electic heater while at home and the power got disconnected. It took 2 days to thaw it and I was lucky no damage again. We're going to 20 the next 2 nights & I'll be using electric heat, popping up the water tank area cover to help heat get in and running extension cords in there with 40 watt light bulbs to give some extra heat.

I hope your new Travato works as well in the cold as my 20 year old B.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget to use your furnace so that the heated space gets heat. We have an older Monaco and have used it during the winter when it got below freezing 19 nights out of a month with daytime temps just above freezing. The only area of concern was the outside water connection. We ran heat tape on the water faucet, up the water hose and around the valve then put the foam insulation sleeve over that. ( do not let any wires on heat tape cross each other) We used electric heat during the day, and set furnace at 60 at night so that it would run. Not our preferred temps to camp at though.