cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
After 10 days in 109* temps we drained the fresh water tank and headed home (with fresh water tank drain open) Did not know water pump was accidentally turned on and it ran for 7 hours before we discovered it. It still runs but haven't tried to pump water thru it.
Do I need to do anything before I try and pump water thru it and if it does pump have I shortened it's life and made it unreliable?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
13 REPLIES 13

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just to follow up on my water pump issue, after a long break, one day I tried it and it just started to work again. Been working fine ever since. No idea what was wrong with it but I'm happy that the dang thing came back around. It's new, after all. Replaced last summer.

All's well that ends well. And when it started working again, it's worthy to note that the pressure it was putting out was better than it had been putting out before! ๐Ÿ™‚
1985 Class C Chevy Rockwood, 27'
Fulltiming since June, 2016. Flying solo but I'm never alone.
Fear not the unknown, but the fear itself.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to hear the pump running from a few feet away when it is exposed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a plan. I believe the fuse is located on the water pump and I currently have my arm in a splint, post-op wrist surgery with hardware placement. It sucks, I know. But I have 2 ways to get to the water pump. One is to cram myself into this accordion door under my bed and try to reach and maneuver around blindly or the other is to lift up the mattress and plywood decking, prop up all that and then step into the area and poke around.

That's why I asked the question.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Cheryl B wrote:
May I jump in? I had a similar thing happen, not realizing I was running out of water. All of a sudden, the pump stopped working. Do you think I could have just blown a fuse?

Possibly. Best way to find out is to check the fuses.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
It is a new one. Replaced this summer. Since someone said before that they are built to withstand running if the water runs out without damage, wouldn't the fuse make sense? It does not turn on with the switch and turning the water faucet on.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
try it out, i bet it still works fine.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced ours with a sureflow revolution 3.0 gpm. Yours is not trustworthy anymore. Replace it. You'd be surprised at how much better the new one works.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about RV water pumps. I would think that if it was ran dry for a long period of time, the rubber in the diaphragm would dry out and get cracks in it.
Moose

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
May I jump in? I had a similar thing happen, not realizing I was running out of water. All of a sudden, the pump stopped working. Do you think I could have just blown a fuse?

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Guess it's beer time! :B
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
They are designed to run dry.

The pump internals do not require water flow to cool them..they are diaphragm pumps that only move 1/8" back/forth and do not generate heat
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
Should not have hurt it at all. Pop the top of a tall one and relax.
While you're pumping the water. :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should not have hurt it at all. Pop the top of a tall one and relax.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB