cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH Round Bar chain hardware??

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I recently removed the u-bolts and chain that is attached to the round bars so I could preserve and repaint them. After repainting the bars, I realized that I had accidentally thrown away the nuts that u-bolts used the chain to the bar. Is there a certain type of hardened or stronger nut (or self locking) nut that I should purchase to reconnect the u-bolt / chain to the bar? Asking as I realize how much pressure is on this u-bolt / chain.
5 REPLIES 5

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Woodtroll wrote:
4aSong,

Not sure, but I think that drilling those holes may be a real bear. Those bars are hardened and tempered after shaping and drilling, and I think they are going to have to be really hard out at the chain end in order to hold their shape, like any other spring steel. Might be worth a "test drill" on one before you invest a lot of planning or effort.

Good luck!
Regan

You bring up a good point, I will need to do some additional research before proceeding.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong,

Not sure, but I think that drilling those holes may be a real bear. Those bars are hardened and tempered after shaping and drilling, and I think they are going to have to be really hard out at the chain end in order to hold their shape, like any other spring steel. Might be worth a "test drill" on one before you invest a lot of planning or effort.

Good luck!
Regan
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
I would also recommend the lock-nuts and/or grade 8 nuts with loctite.
I have a question, I have a spare set of round bars rated at 800lbs which I would like to alter by adding chains to use with my E-Z Lift hitch system, I plan on drilling two holes in each bar for U-Bolts and adding chain, is there a certain type of hardened chain and u-bolts that I should be shopping for, as DD716TED stated above there is a considerable amount of pressure on the u-bolt / chain.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Me? I'd use Grade 5 or Grade 8 nuts and blue Loctite.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Go over to Home Depot and pick up some "locking nuts.".....LINK HERE

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro