cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH

dugwms
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a Fastway E2 hitch. We typically travel with a small amount of water in the fresh water tank but when we are boondocking, we fill the tank full. The tank is forward of the axles so tongue weight is greatly increased with a full tank of water. What hitch would allow us to have more weight distribution when the tank is full and less when it's almost empty? We're pulling a 30' travel trailer with a 2500HD.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

chinook507
Explorer
Explorer
Load some stuff to the rear of the trailer to counter the water weight rather than making adjustments.
2001 Excursion V10
2013 Keystone Cougar
1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski
1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4X4
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220 2X4

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I notice a tiny bit of difference with no WD between full and empty tanks.

With WD attached, it makes zero difference to the truck.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be my suggestion. You say "a little more nose down", does that mean when empty your trailer is nose down? I would see if I could get it level.

Lets go with the 40 gallon tank. Full it would weight 320 pounds but you say you usually travel with it half full. So, the difference you are adding is 160 pounds. Unless these 160 lbs are sitting directly on the tongue, they shouldn't make that much of a difference.

I say adjust the hitch. If you can't do that then move some of your existing weight to behind the axle.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

dugwms
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard to explain. I can tell a difference but it's not huge. The camper sits a little more nose down. No sway or any negative handling issues. Maybe I'll adjust the hitch a bit and see how it goes.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living and camping in the great Southwest, I never travel without a full fresh water tank and empty waste tanks if possible. I've camped in parks with failed fresh water systems.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Any WD hitch with chain links would be easy to adjust accordingly by changing the number of links used. I doubt the full tanks would increase the tongue weight that much that you would have any noticeable problem with your truck though.

A full 40 gallon tank would weigh approximately 320lbs and likely less than 1/2 of that would be applied to the tongue. Are you experiencing sway or bouncing or control issues? If not I'd stick with what you have. Adjust the hitch for the full tank weight and it will be fine if it's lighter.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley