cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the oldest thing you take with you camping or rving?

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Besides living things that is.

We still take my parents old Coleman gas lantern. They acquired it in 1972 when the bought a Minnie Winnebago. They gave it to us in 1992 when we started tent camping. Still works great and have only had to change mantels.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed
65 REPLIES 65

zekegb
Explorer
Explorer
We take lots of old stuff on various camping trips. Uncle's Coleman lantern that we inherited from early 1950s. Mess kit that provides some of pans for motorhome dates from first years of marriage in early 1970s. Ice chest, coffee pot, hatchet, knives, and more came from my father from the 1950s also. Our Coleman stove (real Coleman with gas) we purchased about 1976. Don't forget the cast iron skillets. I actually have 4 Coleman stoves and 2 Coleman backpacking stoves - great for cooking for groups.

Of course, we date from the late 1940s so we are about the same age as our camping gear.

If you are a real camper, the equipment will last for generations. Our children are married and now use some of the equipment we gave them. Happy camping!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our "emergency" coffee percolator is a stainless steel one that my parents first used when we went tent camping in the mid-40's. The percolator basket and pump are tucked away in case of drip machine failure, but we use the pot frequently for general purpose water heating for tea, etc.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
My motor home 25 years old
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

dhust
Explorer
Explorer
Myself... Even to older stuff we take is younger than me.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We take a Pyrex top of the stove percolator, probably circa 1970, if I remember correctly. Last year we had to replace the pot part, but the original insides and lid are still there. We have used it in two truck campers and five different travel trailers. Nothing makes better coffee.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
And I thought we had discussed every topic possible. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB