cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is used to measure temp of tires?

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to be doing some traveling this summer and I have been reading here that some of you keep track of your tire temperature as well as pressure to hopefully avoid blow outs.

I would prefer to avoid a blowout. So what kind of tool do you use to monitor the tire temp?
21 REPLIES 21

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Many of us carry a thermometer like this one from Harbor Freight.

This little gizmo is accurate enough and easy to use. Some variation from the sunny side to the shady side is normal, but a big variation (hot wheel) is a warning of something you need to fix ASAP.
Although high temps could cause a tire failure, the most likely cause of a hot wheel would be a bad bearing or a stuck brake.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

Mountainman42
Explorer
Explorer
tworootless wrote:
If you're really worried about having a blow out; Pressure PRO will not be of any help!

Nonsense!!! A TPMS is worth its weight in gold in avoiding blowouts.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on getting a TPMS.

I have a Pressure Pro but there are others that are good.

I check my pressures first thing in the morning before the sun hits the tires.

The TPMS is non evasive. Checking pressures with a tire gauge has risks as a schrader valve may fail to seat and cause a slow leak. That may result in a tire failure later in the day.

I also check pressures with my TPMS as I travel. Helps the Borden of driving. My trailer tires are always within 2lbs of each other. That is what is most important. If a tire is more than a couple lbs off there may be something wrong.

I caught a tire that had a 3/8 bolt in it once before the pressure dropped to the alarm point. Gave me enough time to find a safe shady place to pull over and put the spare on. I was in south Arizona 95 degrees at the time.

tworootless
Explorer
Explorer
If you're really worried about having a blow out; Pressure PRO will not be of any help!

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
I use Doran Pressure Pro.........
Made in U.S.A...........it has a monitor, that is mounted to my dash....and Transmitters on each tire.

If the Pressure Drops,it alerts me,if the Pressure RISES over a set rise,it alerts me.

Some units tell you the Temp,......but, if the Temp Rises a lot,By Default,Pressure will also rise.

I check my tires each time I turn the monitor on.....and tire pressure is Constantly Automaticaly being checked...as I Drive.

Get some type of TPMS....system,it could save you Thousands of dollars,in damages to your rig.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

tworootless
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight sells a relatively inexpensive temp. tester. You aim it at whatever, and it will give you an LED readout. I've no idea how accurate it is. Although, in 40 years of towing, I never thought about tire temps getting out of hand. Remember; the faster you go, the hotter the tires. Just make sure you have the correct amount if air in them.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I do check tire pressure in the AM.

I don't check tire temp...except sometimes with my hand at \ stops along the way. I do this only to impress the 'real' long haul truck drivers at rest stops.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro