cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will the mileage go up when you tow all 4 down?

fixyourdns
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a used HHR and it has very low miles, it has a tow hookup on the frount. How can the miles be so low after being towed for 3 or more years.
Rich and Sharon
Sweet Home OR
1984 Southwind [1st RV]
12 REPLIES 12

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
Ask to see the odometer certification. If it says the odometer miles are the actual miles on the vehicle, I would pass on it. If they don't choose to tell the truth about that, what else are they covering up?
IMO, a vehicle that has been towed any distance should NOT state that the odometer mileage is accurate!

..Have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, mowermech.

Using your logic here, any vehicle that has been towed in to a dealer or mechanic for repairs, when sold, would have to have a statement saying the odometer is not accurate. If that was the case, there'd be an AWFUL lot of used cars on the market with an invalid odometer statement on it, haha. Sorry, that is not realistic, nor going to happen.

The odometer is meant to indicate how many miles that the vehicle has been DRIVEN, under power by the engine. It does NOT necessarily indicate how many miles the vehicle has been towed. Two very different things there.

Any time you buy a vehicle with base plates on the front, you know that its been towed some, and that this adds some additional wear to it. No arguing that, and you just have to factor that in when buying such a vehicle. However, I don't think its realistic to expect anyone selling a vehicle like that to have an odometer statement saying the odometer is inaccurate, because the odometer (most likely) IS still accurate - It shows how many miles the vehicle has been driven.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
I never try to justify my wants and needs with fancy math. I just do what ever floats my own boat. My DW of 42 years just puts up with me and my crazy choices. :B

You know, this is one of the best answers to ANY RV RELATED QUESTION I'VE SEEN. So many get on here and WORRY about gas mileage on AN RV!!
Are you kidding me, it's a KLEENEX BOX for gods sake. They worry about toad weight! If you need to worry about it, DON'T DO IT. RVing in general, is costly, no doubt about that. They're big, heavy, have lots of moving and non-moving parts, many of which are just about guaranteed to break or wear out, in a given amount of time and mileage.

RVing is supposed to be fun and exciting. They're a house on wheels, running along some of the most un-maintained, pot-holed roads there are out there in RV land.

So, buy what you want, tow what you want, have fun, enjoy life and see what this great country has to offer! You've only got a short time left.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

fixyourdns
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all, for your imput it was very helpful.
Rich and Sharon
Sweet Home OR
1984 Southwind [1st RV]

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
You might ask how many miles the tow vehicle has on it (divide the mileage by the years for an average if more than 3 years old - you get the idea). Most RVs get very little mileage. In all likelihood the mileage isn't an issue.
Currently Between RVs

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
fixyourdns wrote:
Looking at a used HHR and it has very low miles, it has a tow hookup on the frount. How can the miles be so low after being towed for 3 or more years.

Ask to see the odometer certification. If it says the odometer miles are the actual miles on the vehicle, I would pass on it. If they don't choose to tell the truth about that, what else are they covering up?
IMO, a vehicle that has been towed any distance should NOT state that the odometer mileage is accurate!
Most modern vehicles today (and for many years in the past) have an electronic speedometer/odometer. When the ignition switch is OFF, the gauge does not register speed or accumulated miles.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A properly maintain vehicle whether it is the rig or the toad will have some wear and tear. If fluids are changed regularly the amount will be diminished.
A used vehicle should have all it's fluids changed as soon as possible. Many times the transmission and differentials are neglected.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I traded in a White 08 HHR 2.4L last Oct. that only had around 44,000 miles on it.
I towed it for 6 years. Less then 4K each year. Towing it did make the OEM tires ware out faster. Tires on it were 1 1/2 year old when traded.

I had a switch under the steering wheel to cut off the 2 AMP fuse when towing.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I never try to justify my wants and needs with fancy math. I just do what ever floats my own boat. My DW of 42 years just puts up with me and my crazy choices. :B

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
The odometer drive varies with the manufacturer and the model. In my case, ROCKY odometer counts up when towed 4-down, and transmission in Neutral. I use that info when calculating my MH MPG.

Driving sans dingy @65 MPH I get 15 MPH. With dingy @55 MPH i get 15 MPG.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
fixyourdns wrote:
Thank you, how about ware and tear on the rig?

You still have a lot of stuff turning and spinning, all need lubrication.

My 07 Wrangler is one of the best toweds, yet I still have 1 transfer case 2 differentials and 4 wheel bearings spinning. When I go long distance, I place it on a trailer, simply because I worry about less, can back up, and yes cope with the trailer in the camp spaces. But I seldom go long distances to camp. But on a long cross country, I will only have 4 wheels and self lubricating bearings plus electric brakes to worry about.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

fixyourdns
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, how about ware and tear on the rig?

And thank yiu for your service.
Rich and Sharon
Sweet Home OR
1984 Southwind [1st RV]

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mileage does not register while being towed.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker