cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window Tint

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone experienced any problems with window tinting as it relates to seeing tow mirrors safely and rear view mirror visibility? What about night driving with side, rear, and front windows tinted?

Our brutal Texas summers towing in July and August are about to convince me and my wife that our AC needs help on our beloved old truck on long trips. I have a 2002 Ford SuperCrew diesel which has a lot of cab area to have to cool.

Any input from those who have completely tinted their truck and tow will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW. A good tint job will last the life of the truck. As far as cop magnets......not if you get them in a lighter shade of tint. On the windshield. There is a mark in the corner itโ€™s know as ASI tint cannot extend beyond the line of that marking.
Iโ€™ve had tinted windows on all my cars and only once got pulled over, for a missing front plate. Never said a word about my tinted windows.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
most windshields can have a tint strip of 4-6 inches across top. It does help some particularly van windshields which are fairly large. the cab windows can be tinted just not limo dark. The problem I have with limo dark 9is I cant see at night thru them (son has it). We have tinted all vehicles and it does last but as noted above if the job is not done well they may start to bubble and the tint will fade if its cheap stuff. Look around and get recommendations from some who have had them done and go there, just watch out for low prices as that is the biggest problem.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Tint shops here seem to do a good job --mine seem to survive Arizona summers.
Just stick to what's legal, and leave the windshield alone.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Our local tint shop uses a ceramic clear tint that stops the heat dead without darkening the windows.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have neve seen an aftermarket tint hold up. Within several years of heat cold moisture it will begin to bubble.
As mention above dark windows are cop magnets,even a tint legal in your state may have you sitting on the side of the road in another.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the windows tinted on my 02 Excursion. Never had a problem seeing even at night. The Excursion has front and rear heat and air to help cool all of its interior space. The rear windows on the X are factory tinted. Are your rear windows factory tinted on your SD?
Also, when was the last time you had the AC Evan and recharged. It may just need that. I had to do mine when it was 7 years old. Sometimes they just get low, even with no signs of a leak. It's just how they are.
I say to have it evac and recharged and see how it does. Then if you want you can have the windows tinted. I know I loved not having the sun beatin in through he side windows when driving.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Windshield tint too far down on the glass is illegal in most states without a medical exemption. You will get pulled over repeatedly for verification.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wouldnโ€™t live in a sunny climate without tint. 35% min.
20% is just right imo. Gives decent privacy but not so dark to hinder night driving.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
20% on the old Dodge.
Can use the mirrors at night if thereโ€™s any artificial light outside.
If totally dark or backing a trailer, need to roll down windows.
I have 2020 vision and can see well at night.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A properly working 2002 Ford truck AC shouldnโ€™t need help IMO. Less cab area and glass than an Expedition.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad