cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wore out hitch

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
This is different. I have a class IV hitch. The holes in the receiver tube have “wallered out” where the pin inserts to hold the stinger in. Anyone heard of a fix other than total replacement? My first thought is welding on new holes.
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Once you fix the hole, don't use the angle hitch pin if that's what you have been using. Use a straight hitch pin.

As I stated the wear isn't just from the angled pins but from the soft metal in the hitch and the way the drawbar rests in the tube. after a while it finds its relaxed position and wont wear anymore. my Curt hitch doesn't have any wear and I`m using the same pin I did with the factory receiver that had the worn out hitch pun hole. I replaced the receiver due to rust not the wear in the pin hole.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Once you fix the hole, don't use the angle hitch pin if that's what you have been using. Use a straight hitch pin.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Another option, if it’s a receiver on a relatively popular vehicle, is buy another OE hitch. Craigslist or junkyard. Been a while but I’ve had luck finding them that way and they’re almost worthless so will be cheap to purchase. I’ve actually tossed a couple new hitch receivers in the garbage because no one would buy them for $50. In the last 25 years, it is rare that a full size truck or suv doesn’t come with a receiver so the market is not there.
Takeoff hitch = cheap + time to swap, typically with hand tools. Some trucks you have to lift the bed up a bit though.
Weld reinforced plate is cheap if you have a welder and can weld but a 5/8 drill bit isn’t.
Drill larger hole = easy, if it lines up afterwards and you don’t break your wrist and you have a 1/2” drive drill. And that only works if you have. Tube hitch. Solid draw bar will not drill out easily.
5/8-3/4 “ bits are $50 or more

Typically this problem is more of just an annoyance. A lot of trucks with wallered out pins
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
On my Ford receiver, I welded 3/8” plate on each side of the receiver tube and drilled it for the pin. On my Torklift receivers, the hole is built up by design to reduce egging.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Are you just nervous about the appearance or is it clunking every time you hit the brakes?
- If it's just the appearance, don't worry about it.
- If it's bad enough that it's clunking around, you could weld a plate across it, ream out the hole for a bigger pin, or just do a new hole a couple inches away. But unless you are doing extreme miles with really heavy trailer, I might look to see what is the source of the issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Just weld a "hardened" washer to both sides. Done.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Drill it out for a larger pin then drill the end of the pin for a small padlock. It will keep someone from walking off with it vs just having a clip pin.

There are various devices that take up receiver slack.

Another

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can weld it up but for the price of a new hitch it isn’t worth it. People will say it’s from the bent end of the pin, but what it is from is the weight of the hitch pushing up/down on the pin. Both sides were worn on mine but the pin only goes in from the left. So much for that theory.

If it’s not that bad I wouldn’t worry about it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!