cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worse this year?

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We are volunteer hosts at a Corps. Of Engineers campground. This is a our fourth summer here. (9th year overall hosting)

The past three years it was usual to have a noise compliant, maybe, once a month. This year we are receiving them once a week or more!

We are asked to explain and educate campers about the rules. No enforcement. 99% of the time campers will comply when the rule is explained to them. No problem.

This year I have had more people want to argue the rule. One 20 something group of six argued with me for 20 minutes about the "no parking/tents on grass" rule. After all that they only stayed one night!! ( I know I should have not argued but their overall attitude just angered me, which is VERY unusual.) I say to you campers: I did not write the rule, and there are places you can express your concern to, but not me.

So what you say work campers? Is the general overall mood, and thus people's actions much worse this year than other years?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006
44 REPLIES 44

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Only read a couple of posts but it comes down that since the 1980's the educational system has been teaching tha children that no one other than school officials or parents can tell them what to do! Lack of discipline for misbehavior when young and lack of training in the Golden Rules has created the "rules don't aplly to me" attitude!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
Lol...no I became a moderator a couple of years into our stint. I just continue to live the life vicariously thru you folks ๐Ÿ™‚

No better place than here.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Lol...no I became a moderator a couple of years into our stint. I just continue to live the life vicariously thru you folks ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Naio PM Sent
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Naio: said::"It's like a sick joke, telling people they have to put their tent on a gravel pad."

Kinda agree BUT:

I did not design the park. I did not build it. I did not even write the rules.

I know that :). You may remember i made a big deal of it in my earlier post. My point in this one is that you have been put in the difficult position of enforcing a rule that makes little sense.

Most importantly, I did not ignore the pictures of each site and descriptions of the site before making a reservation and coming here. The camper has to take at least some responsibility for their action or lack of same.

I don't know which park you are at and I have not seen the website. Does it make clear that the gravel pads are NOT the parking places, and that campers aren't allowed to do the normal thing and put their tents on the ground?

I mean, if I just saw pictures of gravel pads I would assume those were the parking places.

Funny though, we had over 20 sites this past weekend with tents on the gravel pads with no other complaints or problems. We have tents camp here all the time. I wonder how they do it???

It's possible that they don't know any better. Or they do, but feel other amenities are worth it.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
DianneOK wrote:
After 9 years of volunteering and workcamping...we realized we wanted a campground with no campers. It was time to retire.

Might be a sign, as we are at the 9 years level also.

But then you became a moderator? :h

You certainty are a glutton for punishment. :S

Wow, I'm 8 years past my exit, we've been at it for 17 years. We are giving serious consideration to retiring from volunteering and the road next spring.

My biggest worry is that after all these years I'm not sure I can stay in one place.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you can take a ride over to St Lucie CoE to see Edna (if she's still workamping there). She certainly keeps us campers in line!

Kidding aside, I do hope that what you (DF) describe is a summer trend and that it won't hold over to snowbird season.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
After 9 years of volunteering and workcamping...we realized we wanted a campground with no campers. It was time to retire.

Might be a sign, as we are at the 9 years level also.

But then you became a moderator? :h

You certainty are a glutton for punishment. :S
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
aviator wrote:
My wife and I have been Park Attendant Contractors for the past three years, at a very busy boat launch park for the COE. I must also say the public has been much worse this year. Many more feel the rules do not apply in their particular case. When confronted they want to get in your face. After serving 29 years in the military they do not get far with that attitude. The park is for all to enjoy some have been forced to leave so the majority can have that enjoyment. I will explain the issue once, maybe twice and if they still want to argue or can't understand I tell I can call someone with more authority or they can leave. Most times they will comply but not be pleased they did not get their way.

Thanks much.

This is what exactly have experienced this year. Never was this way.

Used to be such a "happy" place.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Naio: said::"It's like a sick joke, telling people they have to put their tent on a gravel pad."

Kinda agree BUT:

I did not design the park. I did not build it. I did not even write the rules.

Most importantly, I did not ignore the pictures of each site and descriptions of the site before making a reservation and coming here. The camper has to take at least some responsibility for their action or lack of same.

Funny though, we had over 20 sites this past weekend with tents on the gravel pads with no other complaints or problems. We have tents camp here all the time. I wonder how they do it???
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

aviator
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been Park Attendant Contractors for the past three years, at a very busy boat launch park for the COE. I must also say the public has been much worse this year. Many more feel the rules do not apply in their particular case. When confronted they want to get in your face. After serving 29 years in the military they do not get far with that attitude. The park is for all to enjoy some have been forced to leave so the majority can have that enjoyment. I will explain the issue once, maybe twice and if they still want to argue or can't understand I tell I can call someone with more authority or they can leave. Most times they will comply but not be pleased they did not get their way.
aviator

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
rekoj71 wrote:
I'm not sure if it is in direct relation to, but I and some other publications have noticed an increase in RV activity this year, including camping. I am finding more and more campgrounds full this year and it may have to do with the economy supposedly getting better and more people buying RV's. Remember though that this will bring in a new set of campers to the campgrounds, and not just those of us who have been around for awhile. Several of those will obviously be in a younger generation, and also maybe not know the etiquette that we take for granted.

Well, said and maybe a factor. I do know that the park is much busier this year, more often 100% full.

Naio said: "Do you tell the campers that when they complain?"

Yes I do. I start with: "I'm sorry, but I have to ask you to move the tent into the campsite. I know it is not as comfortable......"
I have even loaned out some of my personal tarps to minimize the "sharpness" of the rock.

I am starting to think it is a combination of things; 1. I am getting old. NO denying that. 2. The campground is much much busier 3. The demographics are changing.

I appreciate all the ideas.

Are there other campgrounds in your area (forest service ones, for example) that are more oriented towards tent campers? It might help to suggest one. Of course you'd have to be careful with your phrasing so people would not think you were asking them to leave!

It's like a sick joke, telling people they have to put their tent on a gravel pad. Tent campgrounds don't have designated areas for the tents, but you can often tell the places that people most commonly set them up -- not only are they level, but every single rock has been removed.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I think it may have something to do with you have more familiarity with the park and it's operations after 4 years and you are just more in tune with what is going on. You probably have also improved the park, taken care of many other issues and what is left stands out. Kind of like if you are running from a hungry bear, that pebble in your shoe just isn't as annoying as it is when you are walking to the dessert bar at your local Golden Corral. When the little annoyances and aggravations are the only issues you have to deal with, you have achieved success.

Another valid point. Thank you.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS