cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone cell tower approved

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Park service allows Verizon to build a 100' tall cell tower near Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. Link

Good news, or bad news?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
31 REPLIES 31

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny how people who complain the loudest seem to have never actually been there.

Francesca Knowles wants to point her criticism of a microwave repeater tower claiming it to be a cell tower. In all likelihood, it will be no problem to make a dedicated cell tower inconspicuous to most all visitors. They do a pretty good job of hiding things like that and other infrastructure items in Yellowstone.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
A lot of eloquent stuff I totally agree with. Thanks for putting into words the way I feel also!

They dress up cell towers as palm trees around these parts!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not much different IMO than all the sat dishes strung all over CG's. I for one am glad. I have some family members that are not doing so well. And it's nice to be able to stay in contact. I'm not glued to my phone, but dang it's nice to see what the weather might be like where you headed. Or lookup CG's or gas prices near you. I don't sit there texting, emailing or surfing when out camping. But if you need to stay in contact it's pretty covenant.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in Yellowstone often and are used to no cell service. Not really a problem. We do know where to go to find it to stay in touch. Yes, it will be nice not to have to drive 10 miles to make a phone call but we could deal just fine as it was. I recall a few years ago, when the President was vacationing there, they brought in temporary cell towers for his visit. Wow, cell service everywhere. Then everyone complained when they were removed.

We will welcome the added service and move happily on our way.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Concern about a cell tower? Read up on the Hetch Hetchy Valley sometime if you really want something to get worked up about.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW! How did we ever get by without cellphones 30 years ago? I have no problem with tastefully located towers in NPs & SPs. Being connected is case of emergency is a real benefit.

It is the pitiful sorry souls who cannot be without their beloved phones, especially while driving, who scare me. PUT THE FOOL THING DOWN. You are not that important.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Campgrounds to General RV Issues
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

Community Alumni
Not applicable
"...the number of visitors that would/could not go to a NP because of the lack of cell service is somehow at least questionable."

I'm not so sure your assessment is accurate. I'm willing to bet many RVers will not go to places where cell/broadband/wifi services are not available nearby.

I know I won't.

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Being opposed to cell service in a NP being equivalent to hanging a sign at the entrance "NO ONE ALLOWED IN" is a stretch. Also, the number of visitors that would/could not go to a NP because of the lack of cell service is somehow at least questionable.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Considering they already have a cell tower at Old Faithful, and the one that has been approved is a replacement,

Wrong, this is a new tower to provide coverage in the north side of the lake. Fishing Bridge and Old Faithful are too far apart for the coverage of one tower to reach the other.

Is there no place Americans can go without their electronic leash self-attached?

I can travel every where without the electronic leash, I just turn the phone off.

The problem isn't that the service is available, but that folks don't know how to turn it off or ignore it. I'm always amazed how you look over at another table in a resturaunt to see a group of friends out enjoying an evening out - yet each one is on their phone texting someone else.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
I liken it more like desperation as the NPS tries to replace funds lost to the budget process as Congress continues to underfund it. The annual payment for the lease of the land for the cell tower is a much-needed chunk of change to the NPS coffers.

Expect to see more cell towers in the future.

And how do you know that - I appreciate the fact in an emergency I will have cell to make that 911 call
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I liken it more like desperation as the NPS tries to replace funds lost to the budget process as Congress continues to underfund it. The annual payment for the lease of the land for the cell tower is a much-needed chunk of change to the NPS coffers.

Expect to see more cell towers in the future.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very well said westernrvparkowner. Some people always seem to think everyone else should live/think/do only what they do or like. DUH!!! It doesn't work that way!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
I'm not surprised. The NPS has been on a quest to destroy all the Natl Parks. Golf course in Death Valley after they took over. Death Valley was awesome before it became a Natl Park. Huge hotels and cities within the parks. It is sad. Only time we go to Yellowstone anymore is for a short cut over the mountains to Idaho.
Considering they already have a cell tower at Old Faithful, and the one that has been approved is a replacement, I somehow doubt the park will be ruined. Apparently you are yet another one of those people who are special and know for a fact how everyone should use our national parks. If someone has other ideas, they are wrong. You must be one of those people who think the best thing to do is hang a sign on the entrances to our national parks that say "NO ONE ALLOWED IN" and then have in the fine print "except me". Maybe you think Yellowstone should go back to the way it was when it was made a national park in 1872, only way in was by horse. No electricity, no toilets, drink from the streams, no lodging, no phones, no anything. That would sure allow the 3,000,000 plus visitors every year to enjoy one of our national treasures. It is things like cell phones that allow many of the guests to visit our national parks. I know the good ole days sound great, but does anyone really want to go back to living like they did in the 1800s. About the only good thing about it would be you wouldn't have to do it for long, since the average person's lifespan was a little less than 50 years compared to over 80 years today. Take off the rose colored glasses and see things how they really are.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not surprised. The NPS has been on a quest to destroy all the Natl Parks. Golf course in Death Valley after they took over. Death Valley was awesome before it became a Natl Park. Huge hotels and cities within the parks. It is sad. Only time we go to Yellowstone anymore is for a short cut over the mountains to Idaho.