cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You can't fix stupid

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Had to take a road trip by car last week. A Prevost MH towing a 7 series BMW 4 down passed me like I was parked. I sped up just to see how fast He was going. Twenty seven MPH over the speed limit! That right,102 miles per hour! If the driver of the Prevost reads this post, I want to give you two thumbs down!!!
87 REPLIES 87

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
darsben wrote:
Ease up enjoy your trip do not let what others do affect you enjoyment.
Life is to short.

We should all take this to heart!

Agreed
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I rarely talk while I`m driving. but when I do the call comes second to driving and paying attention to the road. I`ve never cut anyone off, veered across the road or ran over a motorcycle! Those that say it can`t be done, obviously can`t do it! I`ve seen people in a car that can`t even drive and change the radio or heater/AC. I`m not worried about me, but the idiots around me, and there are a lot of them!

And comparing talking on a cell phone to DUI, is ridiculous and just another reason that supports my statement above!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
AprilWine - Just between you and me (get it?) I doubt he was trying to pull a fast one - pun intended.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
usmohls2@yahoo.com wrote:
Had to take a road trip by car last week. A Prevost MH towing a 7 series BMW 4 down passed me like I was parked. I sped up just to see how fast He was going. Twenty seven MPH over the speed limit! That right,102 miles per hour! If the driver of the Prevost reads this post, I want to give you two thumbs down!!!

Troll post and you guys are feeding him till he's nice and fat. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. There is no base plate made for a BMW 7 series, only the 3 series and the Mini Cooper can be flat towed.

2. As a Prevost owner and driver, I know they are geared to be over-the-road busses. I have a Detroit Series 60 engine, 475 hp and 1400 ft/lbs of torque. I have plenty of power but with the gearing, I'm at redline near 80 mph.

So basically, the OP started a Prevost envy thread and you guys all fell for it. LOL :B
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
concerning cell phones.....there are 2 groups. those that can do 2 things at once and those that can`t walk and chew gum. some people need the law and dome don`t! I have hands free in my X, but never have an issue holding the phone.

Studies have shown that using a cell phone while driving is equivalent to being intoxicated.
Can you text and drive at the same time as well? Why wait till you kill someone before we all realize that anything that takes our concentration off of driving is stupid.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
The hypocrisy of this thread is my only issue. You'll go chase down and post about the RV going nearly 30mph over the posted speed limit. Granted the speed limit is fast enough for an RV to start with at 70mph, I don't even try to do that speed when it is the limit. But why are you outraged with the driver of the RV and but I never see people screaming or going back and forth about reporting that 80k lb tractor trailer that is tailgating the RV to begin with?
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
YOu know how you can tell when someone answers the cell phone.......They automatically drop 10 MPH in speed as soon as they say hello.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
concerning cell phones.....there are 2 groups. those that can do 2 things at once and those that can`t walk and chew gum. some people need the law and dome don`t! I have hands free in my X, but never have an issue holding the phone.
I wonder if the Prevost driver has the same attitude about handling his rig at those speeds:
"there are two groups, those who can handle their rigs at these speeds and those who cannot. I have never had an issue running at these speeds; therefore I must be able to handle these speeds. The studies on the increased risks associated with excessive speed (or cell phone use) do not apply to me; I can handle it."
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I remember, when looking at the footage of my dash cam (before it gave up its magic smoke), how many people were either texting or had their phone up to their ear when they did very dangerous driving maneuvers.

I will say it is definitely under-reported because as of now, the police or insurance companies won't check with the telco to see if the phone had a voice connection active, or an outgoing SMS message recently sent at the time of impact.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with talking on a cell phone while driving is that you are concentrating on the call and not what is going on around you...

Talkers stare directly in front of their vehicle and do not look behind nor to the sides, they typically slow down and have no clue of what is going on around them.

I know many people that do this and have yet to find 1 that will admit it hinders their driving. They will all say that they drive fine, although some have admitted to missing turn offs... I tell them you merely think you drive good while talking, however if I videoed you from another car you would see the problems that you create...
How many vehicles does it take to make a traffic jam?... just 1...

In years past it was playing with the radio, conversation inside the vehicle, smoking, eating, site seeing, day dreaming... Now we add the cell phone... All are distractions... Most can only concentrate on 1 thing at a time, although they are incapable of admitting or understanding it...

It is like the driver that drives the speed limit and believes they are a safe driver by doing so, yet they are often the ones to pull out in front of you in a quick move...
Safe driving requires more than merely driving at or below the speed limit...
Inquiring minds want to know...

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of hoop a laa here.

What is the bottom line on driving over 100mph just to see how fast another speeder was driving??

Was that in the name of safety? :S

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
What you've said is exactly why they need to have the laws enforced. Too many people have said I don't have a problem using the phone, but they've never noticed that they've cut people off, veered across traffic, narrowly missed a motorcycle, etc. According to them it never happened because they didn't see it happen. It happened, they just didn't see it because they were on their stupid phone.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Fransesca Knowles X 2 and safety is everyones business.

X3 - when it's your family the butt head kills it might make some rethink there position.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
rickeoni wrote:

More dangerous to call on your phone while driving! Talking on the phone is far more stupid than speeding.

:S

Excessive speed killed 10,230 U.S. Americans in 2010. source

Phone distraction while driving killed 350 U.S. Americans in 2011.source

From the link you quoted on cell phone deaths, the very next sentence after the number of 350 that you quoted: "And most experts say these statistics are vastly underreported, meaning that thousands more lives a year are almost certainly being claimed by an epidemic whose causes are already well understood."

Just saying, it is much more than 350.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
Crowe wrote:
So, yeah- it IS our business!

Yes, indeed it is!

It may be your business Francesca & Ray but it's not mine. If you want to make it your business, go for it. As for me, I have enough on my plate already. I'm not going take on your "stuff" also.

A quick call to the SP to alert them is not taking on someone else's "stuff" - it's potentially saving someone's life, possibly even your own. If that driver had taken out one of your loved ones and it could have been taken care of by a 30 second phone call, you'd be carrying the burden and sadness of a whole lot of OTHER "stuff".

Speeding up to see how fast he was going DOES fall under the category of stupid is as stupid does. Makes you as dangerous as the original idiot because you are paying attention to HIM and not what you are doing.

I concur especially on your two points of the OP thinking it was O.K. to post what he did admitting to speeding up to determine that excessive speed and not bothering to call the police. It amazes me sometimes what people think might be wrong while failing to see how wrong they also are.

Larry

X2

OP speeding up is no better than the MH that passed him.
make the call. report it and don't be an idiot like the MH driver.