cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If You Have Yippy Nasty Dogs Please Leave Them Home

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
So we are on a rare, purely camping weekend for the 4th.

This means our elderly 13 1/2 year old German Shepard is along for the trip.

A short while ago, I took him out to do his business, and while walking past the site next to me, two dachshunds that have been barking at everything passing including leaves falling made a beeline towards our old hound, dragging the chair they were tied to along for the ride.

I should have just dropped the bag full of poop and scooped the 70lbs of him up and let them bite my ankles, but it happened way to quickly after I realized they were not on leads that were attached to anything other than they were dragging along. So my old dog got chewed on pretty good. No broken skin, but dragging one of his lame bad rear legs.

The worst part: the jack-knob couple these "fur-babies" belonged to were obnoxious. Like blocking my path while I was trying to get my dog back to my site and inside. Getting in my face, and not letting me by while mumbling "I'm sorry" while your wife is asking me "oh, is he hurt?" is not going to get me un-lit, especially while my dog is still dragging a leg.

While I understand accidents happen, these people are playing with fire having these dogs out in public as irresponsible as they are. They are lucky it was me as an adult and not a kid on a bike or scooter, or my 16 year old daughter who walks our dog when I don't.

So it was a crummy 4th of July afternoon. Thanks camping neighbors. Not.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars
61 REPLIES 61

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
And of course theres always the opposite:

Two small dogs, always on leashes - "set-on" by larger dog/s *not* on a leash

And the two small dogs on a leash have the brain size of a pea!! And you cannot train them to have any common sense..
Yet the big dog has enough brain power to be trained to act normal and afford the freedoms of his intelligence,,but Oh the yappers are so precious,,dumb as a stump,, but precious!!
And because the bigger dog earned his freedom,, its his fault??
Yep,, you sit inside and don't even pay attention to these noisy rats,,, then put them in a flimsy non anchored fence,,, they bust out because their pea brains cant process anything else,,, and the working,thinking dog gets punished??
Yeah,, about sums up the way society is today!!!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

And of course theres always the opposite:

Two small dogs, always on leashes - "set-on" by larger dog/s *not* on a leash.

Solution (no matter what size, age, etc. your dog is):

Walk with 3' long stick (gee...it's for "coyote protection")

in addition.....my "backup" - which you don't see....

I always have my *flat*, approx 18" long, 1x2 hardwood "smacker" which has a loop in the end for my hand/wrist.
It slips *under* my belt with the end tucked in my back pocket - loop at the exposed *top* end.

My shirt-tail (out) covers it, no problem walking or bending for a poop-scoop...and the loop makes it a "quick draw" that won't slip out of my hand..;)
(Think: a cop's "baton".....except flat)

I never walk the dogs -at home or away- without both.

YMMV

~

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
In an unfamiliar area, I will carry an axe handle as a cane and as a defense against stray dogs. I would rather use it on the owners than the dogs, but I will protect my dog from aggressive dogs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
sorry for your dog getting bit.

people are plain stupid. no way around that!

I would have taken my dog to an emergency vet for bite treatment and brought them the bill. maybe hitting their wallet would have more effect on them.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Another unrelated dog question.
When did this nation come up with so many paralyzed dogs? It is like an epidemic or something, I see literally hundreds of dogs that apparently can't walk, and their owners are kind and patient enough to carry them whenever they are out. Bless these kind souls for taking such good care of their disadvantaged pitiful little creatures.
Some one should start a foundation for these poor things.

They have dog carriers and heavy duty motors on the electric carts to carry the load.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
We often keep our two 12 year old doxies in a cage pen while we set up camp. Gives the girls a chance to stretch and pee after the trip. I am always amazed at the adults who come over and reach down in the cage to pet or pick them up. They haven't yet but one of these days as their eye sight or hearing begins to fail they are going to get startled and may nip at one of these intruders. Please don't reach down into the cage people. If you want to pet or hold them ask me and i'll get you the one that is in the mood to be handled.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Oregon Ms wrote:
I look at dogs' ownersโ€ฆ.most often dogs reflect their owners poor behavior.

Amen

Absolutely correct!!!!!!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dogs running at me......will get them kicked repeatedly.

Then when the owners show up they had best be humble, courteous, apologetic......

YES.....it is the owners fault. BUT I will deal with the dogs first then the owners.

Well said!

I like MOST dogs. I kind of have to like dogs because I work a dog every day. I am NOT into abusing dogs in any way, BUT I will protect my dog and my family from any and all uncontrolled aggressive dogs by any means necessary up to and including semi-lethal disabling force. I mind my own business and my dog is under my immediate control. Allowing your dogs to "run at large" is unacceptable. Having an aggressive dog that attacks others is unacceptable. Being an owner of an uncontrolled, aggressive dog just shows ones stupidity and could result with you being criminally charged for any damage your dog does. Smarten up bad dog owners who have aggressive dogs. You are giving all the other responsible dogs owners a real bad reputation.

OP, sorry you had to have your old friend injured by irresponsible dog owner's unacceptable actions. Hope all is well soon.

Lakeside

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:

The new bunch in front of us had several yapping dogs, and set up a pen out side their door. YEAH they DID! Those dogs yapped, and barked every time any one walked by. When they went to the beach they cooped them up in the camper. They NEVER stopped barking.

Open the fence an turn them loose. "They were begging and crying the whole time to be set free." :R

Kidding, of course.

Not sure it had a gate. Saw the dog's human climbing over it. And As I said, we were leaving anyway. However, they may be as well, IF they don't shut those dogs up. Pirateland don't stand for a bunch of useless noise, and are pretty strick with their rules,. One of which are no constantly barking dogs. and the security patrols come by often.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Another unrelated dog question.
When did this nation come up with so many paralyzed dogs? It is like an epidemic or something, I see literally hundreds of dogs that apparently can't walk, and their owners are kind and patient enough to carry them whenever they are out. Bless these kind souls for taking such good care of their disadvantaged pitiful little creatures.
Some one should start a foundation for these poor things.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon Ms wrote:
I look at dogs' ownersโ€ฆ.most often dogs reflect their owners poor behavior.

Amen

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Oregon_Ms
Explorer
Explorer
It seems (most of us) go camping to get away and enjoy some peace. Yippy, nippy and nasty kind of impose on the natural zen. Those yippy, nippy, nasty dogs are lucky they didn't get their heads bitten off, then the silly owners would have blamed the Shepherd for it all. I look at dogs' ownersโ€ฆ.most often dogs reflect their owners poor behavior.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
If they are not humble, courteous, apologetic what will you do?

Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dogs running at me......will get them kicked repeatedly.

Then when the owners show up they had best be humble, courteous, apologetic......

YES.....it is the owners fault. BUT I will deal with the dogs first then the owners.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Apology accepted.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)