cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Effect of W/D hitch in lbs transfered

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I understand how a W/D hitch works but is there a chart or formula that lists the actual pounds transferred off the hitch.
I'm researching to see if a Ram 1500 is going to be sufficient to tow my 21' TH. I will be within tow limits, but gvw will be the limiting factor.
With 1/2 tank of water (75g) my hitch weight on my 07 Ragen 21FB is right around 1050 lbs. That's weighed with a portable scale under the jack. This is pushing it for the 1500.
By using a W/D hitch, any idea how much of that 1050 would be transferred to the front axle of the truck and trailer axles?
I guess I could take it to a truck scale and weigh all 3 axles with and without the W/D hitch, but hope there may be an easier way.
If I could get a couple of hundred pounds off the hitch onto the trailer axles, that would help a lot. Also loading items in the rear of the TH will help as well.
I'm confident the 14 Ram 1500 Hemi with 8 speed trans and 3:92 gears would have the performance to pull the trailer if I can keep the weights within spec.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
8 REPLIES 8

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
So even if you get enough weight transferred to stay within GVWR, what about your receiver's limitations?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
By using a W/D hitch, any idea how much of that 1050 would be transferred to the front axle of the truck and trailer axles?
---
That depends entirely on how much upward force you apply to the rear ends of the WD bars.

If you apply enough force to cause a nearly equal increase in load on the TV's front and rear axles (as was commonly done many years ago), approximately 30% of TW would be carried on the TV's front axle, 30% on the rear axle, and 40% on the TT's axles.

If you apply enough force to cause the load on the TV's front axle to be returned to the unhitched load (as is commonly done now), approximately 75% of TW would be carried on the TV's rear axle and 25% on the TT's axles.

If you apply enough force to cause only 50% of the load removed from the TV's front axle to be restored to that axle (as some TV and WDH manufacturers now specify), a load equal to approximately 25% of TW would be removed from the TV's front axle, a load equal to approximately 112.5% of TW would be added to the rear axle, and a load
equal to approximately 12.5% of TW would be added to the TT's axles.

Ron

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
you stand on a scale (your the tongue weight) and it reads 175lbs. Now you push down on the counter next to the scale. (WD hitches attached) scale read 100lb.

I wish. I think i need a personal wdh!!:)
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
yup, WD hitch does NOT change tongue weight. It transfers weight from the TV rear axle to the TV front axle and trailer axle. Tongue weight doesn't change. No weight gets transferred off the tongue, just shifted between the TV and trailer axles. The sum of the weights on all the axles will remain the same, WD hitch or not. The amount on each axle will change.

Think of it this way. you stand on a scale (your the tongue weight) and it reads 175lbs. Now you push down on the counter next to the scale. (WD hitches attached) scale read 100lbs. Did you magically lose 75lbs? NOPE. you applied a downward force to the counter of 75lbs changing what the scale reads but you still weigh 175lbs. scale reads the sum of the forces, your 175lbs and the-75lbs you push down on the counter.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
Ok, I read the post and think I understand it.
To clarify, lets say that my tongue weight of 1050 lbs is the max that my hitch will carry and also put the truck at max gvw. (not the case but just an example)
So, by using the W/D hitch, some of the weight will come off the truck and be transferred to the trailer axles putting the truck under gvw by the amount transferred to the trailer?
Is sounds like the actual weight on the hitch remains the same?

Yes and no. Technically your "hitch" weight remains the same however the WD system does transfer weight to the TT and front TV axles which does reduce your TV GVW as measured on a scale. Personally I'd be comfortable using WDH transfer to stay within GVWR but would not use it to stay within axle ratings or hitch ratings.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the hitch weight rating, while it has two different ratings, one for with and one for without weight distribution, the tongue weight is always the dead weight of the tongue before the WD bars are active. So the amount of weight transfered by the wd system is irrelevant to the hitch weight rating. You could calculate the amount transfered to the trailer, it's probably between 15% and 20% but depends totally on the bars, their tension, the angle between the truck and the trailer (imagine driving over a hill vs through a dip in the road). It won't be much in the greater scheme of things - if that amount of weight transfer makes a big difference you're probably too close to being overloaded anyway.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I read the post and think I understand it.
To clarify, lets say that my tongue weight of 1050 lbs is the max that my hitch will carry and also put the truck at max gvw. (not the case but just an example)
So, by using the W/D hitch, some of the weight will come off the truck and be transferred to the trailer axles putting the truck under gvw by the amount transferred to the trailer?
Is sounds like the actual weight on the hitch remains the same?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I feel like a dope. As soon as I posted this, I saw the post above explaining it.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650