cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lubricating manual tongue jack - it binds

Got an issue with the tongue jack on the TT.

It is manual and has always been fairly easy to crank up and down, even with my 800 and something pound tongue weight.

Middle of a 3 week trip at several destinations in Saskatchewan, the past couple times I set up and hitched up the jack gets to a certain point then becomes really hard to crank, even when cranking down on to the hitch. Once I get a few turns into it, it becomes easy again. At the hardest point it feels close to breaking something when I reef on it to turn the thing.

It's the type with the crank vertical, as opposed to horizontal on top.

I pulled the little cover off the top to see if there was any way to get some lube down the shaft, but all I can do is grease the gears there. No effect on anything below.

Is there any way to lube the inside of this thing?

Maybe I need to get a new jack....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
7 REPLIES 7

Well, I guess I don't need to worry about lubing this thing now.

Getting ready to break camp and head home yesterday, the darn thing collapsed, sending the nose of the TT crashing to the ground. Ouch!

I posted about it here.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
At a Gun shop buy CLP. It penetrates cleans and lubes, and protects from rust.
About 10.00 for large spray can. Spray it in or on, let set for a few minutes and spray with more. after a good while wipe off excess that there might be.
We use it on firearm all the time and used it on our garage doors a month ago when freeing it up.
On our fifth wheel it wasn't the landing gear that gave us problems as it was inside the Fifth Wheel but the rear jacks. Road spray and the more dirt the worse. Every time I set up, just about I had to use water under pressure to clean it off then sprayed them with silicone.
Silicoen might be the better option you jack after it is cleaned up or out. Something dry won't hold as much dirt.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Use a penetrating light oil to start with and give it some time to work its magic.

Thanks guys.
Yeah I always crank with the thought if it falling or slipping off the block.
I keep my feet wide apart and clear.
I'll try the oil and see what happens.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
If oil doesn't help then replace the jack. The last thing you want is to crank hard and suddenly the jack fails and falls to the ground. In fact make sure your toes are free and clear before you try to crank it at all.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Use oil, it will run down to where it is needed.

Try to get some oil on the shaft under the gear via a spray oil product so it can run down the thread like ^ posted. Maybe you have some rustage from the jack standing in one spot?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Use oil, it will run down to where it is needed.