cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You tell me......believable LOL

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
This caught my eye while nosing around Indeed.com LOL.

Service Technician
Camping World of Pittsburgh - Apollo, PA 15613
$40,000 - $120,000 a year
Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians: Inspect, adjust, repair, or or replace components and systems in recreational vehicles. Installation of hitches and wiring of vehicles. Carpentry work and interior reconstruction on all types of RVโ€™s. Including, travel trailers, 5th wheels, truck campers, motorhomes and pop up campers. A plus but not a must is specializing in electrical, hydraulic, plumbing, chassis/towing systems as well as repairing generators, appliances, and interior components.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $40,000.00 to $120,000.00 /year

Required experience:

All around RV/Home repair skills.: 5 years
Required license or certification:

Driver's License

That's a fairly lucrative position @ $120K isn't it LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?
29 REPLIES 29

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
I've always heard it referred to as book time, as in the book time on that repair is X hours. Then again I've always dealt with smaller shops where I'm paying the hourly rate and they'll quote me the book rate and adjust as the work actually progresses.

Flat rate is a system. Book Time is the allocation of time for a particular job within that system.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always heard it referred to as book time, as in the book time on that repair is X hours. Then again I've always dealt with smaller shops where I'm paying the hourly rate and they'll quote me the book rate and adjust as the work actually progresses.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:
sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:
well i was an auto tech for 25 years
if they are being paid flat rate hours,and the tech is good and eficiant at what he does.then i would say its quit possible.

i got paid by the hour for every hour worked,any flat rate hours over 40 i got paid for also.
i could do 60-70 hours of flat rate work a week,and i rarely ever put in 40 hours on the clock to do it.i made a very good living.just got to hard on the body,especially with arthritis.so i switched careers.

Its called "flag rate" not "flat rate".

Automotive Labor Time Flat Rate Guides by Chilton & Motor

Now they're called "Labor Guides", but we've always called them "Flat Rate" manuals in the industry.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
if they are being paid flat rate hours,and the tech is good and eficiant at what he does.then i would say its quit possible.

i got paid by the hour for every hour worked,any flat rate hours over 40 i got paid for also.
i could do 60-70 hours of flat rate work a week,and i rarely ever put in 40 hours on the clock to do it.i made a very good living.just got to hard on the body,especially with arthritis.so i switched careers.

Forty years in the business with dealerships on both coasts and in the middle and it was always "flat rate" anywhere I went.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was was flat rate for my 44 years in the business. Like anything else you can call it whatever you want. Different areas of the country would be an example.
Puma 30RKSS

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
stumbled across this tale a while back: The ad read "wanted, welder, $18-$24 per hour." The employer's foreman was surprised when the applicant turned in two sample welds instead of the standard one. One was a beautiful bead laid down with machine precision, smooth and ready to paint. The other was irregular, had lots of spatter and numerous slag inclusions. The foreman asked why two samples. The applicant replied, "one is a $24 weld, the other is an $18 weld."

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
run100 wrote:
The 80/20 rule most likely applies to the salary range posted in the ad. 80% of the techs earn closer to $40k, while only 20% approach the $120k.

RV sales? Sure there are some earning a nice living, but at the big dealerships, likely not as many as you think. When a sale has very little gross profit in the deal (which is common today), many dealers pay a "flat" commission of a measly $200, $300 for a motorhome. If the salesperson is selling 6-10 units/month, that's not much income. Usually, the job is commission only too, so try raising a family on that pitiful salary. That's why turnover is so high in the industry.

Your absolutely right...of course. If it was so easy that 100% of the people could do it, there would be no reason to pay anybody that kind of money!

run100
Explorer
Explorer
The 80/20 rule most likely applies to the salary range posted in the ad. 80% of the techs earn closer to $40k, while only 20% approach the $120k.

RV sales? Sure there are some earning a nice living, but at the big dealerships, likely not as many as you think. When a sale has very little gross profit in the deal (which is common today), many dealers pay a "flat" commission of a measly $200, $300 for a motorhome. If the salesperson is selling 6-10 units/month, that's not much income. Usually, the job is commission only too, so try raising a family on that pitiful salary. That's why turnover is so high in the industry.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
The tech may have to supply his own tools, too.

They all do. My BIL is a master mechanic with 30+ years experience, he owns roughly $70K worth of tools.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who has employed hundreds of technicians, I can assure you the salary range quoted is possible. As in any other field, the person making the $120,000 is going to be a talented, experienced, hardworking employee. He is not going to be a salaried individual and is going to be paid based on production. He will have invested in time and training and tools for his trade. The $40,000 individual will be like many others who "show up".

As far as to the potential $200,000 sales position, I can show you more than one or two making that kind of money.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't touch that job for anything under $130K ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
free radical wrote:

Wouldnt anyone working on electrical systems need to be Certified Electrician?

LOL, On an RV? Not hardly. Go take a factory tour and look at who is doing the original electrical work, and more importantly how they're gping about it. Have you ever looked in hidden areas and nooks and crannies in your RV? How about behind the converter?

bucky wrote:
When the new min wage is $30k in a lot of places, $40k is chump change. If you want to get agitated look up the federal govt pay scales.

I'm not aggravated. If I thought for a second I could make close to even $100K as an RV tech working for Camping World, I might quit my job and head on over there LOL. It would certainly be way easier and less stressful than what I do for a living. I liken it to the same BS they throw out when selling a camper. By the way, the same location has an ad for sales people that you can make $100K/$200K selling campers. If you put "Camping World" into Indeed.com nationwide, what you'll find is a lot of ads for service techs and the salary range is $40K-$80K. That sounds a little more realistic. Not so sure why the same job would/could pay $40K more in western PA LOL.

I applied for it, we'll see if they call LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the new min wage is $30k in a lot of places, $40k is chump change. If you want to get agitated look up the federal govt pay scales.
The other scary reality is that the newest least trained tech is who is fixing your new RV under warranty. The manufacturers pay doodly squat for warranty work making the shops reluctant to waste talent for those repairs.
Get a lemon law of RVs passed and watch the quality go way up.
Puma 30RKSS