cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp food

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
So what is everyone eating on their adventures.Need some simple ideas. Hot dogs over the fire are really getting old.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS
100 REPLIES 100

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do alot of grilling when we go camping.and at home for that matter. Burgers(plain or dressed up with seasonings),chicken,steaks.chops,sausage and sometimes fresh caught fish. I take my small charbroil grill(the $80 ones at wally world) that I used at home until I got a new one. It is light enough for me to lift into the truck and move around by myself and it does not need to be cleaned for storage.We like to do pie iron cooking for breakfast sandwiches,pizza and fruit filled for dessert or snacks. They are a lot of fun and are a camping thing that my grown kids remember fondly. The posibilities for different pie iron sandwiches are endless. Eat what you like and keep it as simple or as complex as you wish,personally I like to cook for the gang while camping.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2023 Jayco 25RB

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
For breakfast it is cereal, eggs, pancakes, English muffins, toast or yogurt.

Lunch is PB & J, lunchmeat sandwiches, hot dogs or leftovers.

Dinner is marinated steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, sausage, or chicken on the grill. We might also do tacos or spaghetti or something else simple. We will often do corn on the grill and have potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans, mashed potatoes, or double baked potatoes. Peppers and onions are good. Veggies are my biggest nemesis at home and camping. I run out of Ideas to keep it interesting.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
All of us like Tuna Mac Salad, served with green salad or fruit. Also, I usually bring along a panini maker and a few deli meats/cheeses. We usually have tacos one night, for which I cook the meat and chop the toppings before we hit the road.

Tuna Mac Salad
You'll need shell pasta, stuffed green olives, 8 oz canned tuna, mayonnaise.
Cook 1 and 1/2 cups small shell pasta, drain and chill. For dressing mix 2/3 cup mayonnaise (NOT salad dressing), and a scant 2 Tbsp juice from the jar of olives. To the pasta add: dressing, 1/4 cup chopped green olives, drained tuna and black pepper to taste.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
A few weeks back I posted a recipe for Creamy Chicken Tarragon in the Cooks and Connoissuers. It requires on skillet, one serving dish and takes 30 to 45 minutes to prepare and cook. If you pound and cut the chicken in advance it is even quicker. If you use a low temp the sauce will come out a pale white color and our friends and grandkids love it. I use an electric skillet for cooking but it can be done in a castiron or non-stick skillet. Do an advanced serch for "sbishop" and you'll find it.

Another one pan (skillet) meal is Swiss Pork Chops with Grey Poupon Mustard sauce. Takes about an hour.

I serve both with white rice and whatever veggies we have on hand.

I'll post the pork chop recipe if you PM me.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

danager
Explorer
Explorer
I get 4-5 boneless/skinless chicken breasts and 2 cans of Campbells broccoli & cheese soup. Line a baking pan with foil, put in the chicken and cover with the soup. This bakes fairly quickly, and does not require a lot of attention.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
beermanjoe wrote:
Don`t think the wife wants to be stuck in the camper cooking big meals. What kind of portable grills do you have and how well do they work?

I don't think the wife wants to be stuck in the kitchen when were home eather, and she's not. She cooks a lot on a baby weber Q, at home and away.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Foil packs - hamburger, chicken, sausage, turkey, whatever with onion slices, peppers, mushrooms, potato slices (whatever you like) and sauce (BBQ, Teriyaki, whatever) all wrapped up in foil and placed on the grill. Put fastest cooking items on top as you make your creation. When done eat right out of the foil, minimal prep, minimal mess, maximum enjoyment since everyone build what they like best in their foil pack.

Personal pizza - English muffin half, ladle on some pizza sauce, cheese and whatever other topping you like. Place in cooking pan or pie tin and cover with foil and place on grill.

Dutch oven recipes, dump cakes, cinnamon rolls in a cardboard oven -- well check with just about any Boy Scout.

sandeeAR
Explorer
Explorer
We have the cheap Walmart Grill too. Just replace as it wears out.

We do the usually, burgers, hotdogs, etc. We also do chops, chicken and steaks.

One of my favorites:

4 hamb patties Grilled

While grilling, sautee one onion in a little oil. Add a package of sliced mushrooms (the type sold in the salad area). cook till mushrooms are done. (Really good if you add a cup of wine and cook down)

Place on top of the grilled hamb patties.

Top with 2 slices of Provolone chesse, to melt.

YummmY!

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
lornaschinske wrote:
beermanjoe wrote:
I need to get a portable gas grill.

Yes you do. My daughter will put one of those cheap refrigerated Mama Rosa pizzas on our grill. She says the cheap pizzas turn out better. We have a cheapie Wal-Mart tabletop grill.
We do pizzas, either in the camper oven or on a stone on the Weber-Q. As said, the thin crust pizzas work better on the grill.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Skillet scrambles for breakfast... one pan meal. Dutch oven meals, roasts, whole chickens with roasted potatoes,carrots, celery, whatever... again on pot meal, Baby back ribs, add baked beans when meat is done and simmer (in dutch oven).
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
That`s one of the grills I was looking at.

Utahtea
Explorer
Explorer
beermanjoe wrote:
Don`t think the wife wants to be stuck in the camper cooking big meals.

LOL...If DH isn't BBQing, he breaks out his Coleman stove and does the cooking outside unless it's raining, then he cooks inside!

I prep, he cooks, I wash dishes, he dries them. We've got the system down pat. But I do miss our son's now that they are grown because they were the ones that use to wash and dry! ๐Ÿ˜‰

We have the Weber Portable Go-Anywhere gas BBQ. We like it but we miss the old type that had lava rocks. We really don't have room for anything bigger.
Utahtea

2006 Allegro DA 28

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Don`t think the wife wants to be stuck in the camper cooking big meals. What kind of portable grills do you have and how well do they work?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
We eat pretty much the same meals we eat at home. After all you have all the same appliances to fix it on ๐Ÿ™‚

TravelChickk
Explorer
Explorer
I bring homemade already frozen.

like last trip the frozen lasagna I made and brought was fab!

breakfast I bring the biggies for just a few days of camping, bacon/eggs/pancakes....the rest is just some fruit and bagels, cereal, toast etc. I have just a few days of 'heavy' breakfast type cooking and by then we are getting into that zone of 'not too hungry'.....we don't eat heavy when camping, too much too do and too tired to cook lol

dinners will be 1 or 2 nights out because it is vacation....but the rest is bbq....one dinner was steaks on the grill, corn on the grill, broccoli and cheese and toasty bread on the grill. those are the types of meals.

lunches are simple...deli sandwiches, chips, or maybe hot dogs/hamburgers/sloppy joes...etc.

for my 6 yr old DD I bring some frozen pizza slices, frozen corn dogs she loves and a few other kid friendly, fast items. most times I come back with them...lol..but they are easy to grab from the freezer if she wants a snack type food.
Camping Crazy! ๐Ÿ™‚