cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp food

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
So what is everyone eating on their adventures.Need some simple ideas. Hot dogs over the fire are really getting old.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS
100 REPLIES 100

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
sandeeAR wrote:
We love corn on the cob. However, I've never fixed it on the grill, simply because I don't know how. Somebody, please tell me how to do it?
We just THROW THEM ON THE GRILL - AWESOME
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

roadtripray
Explorer
Explorer
sandeeAR wrote:
We love corn on the cob. However, I've never fixed it on the grill, simply because I don't know how. Somebody, please tell me how to do it?

Just pull down the leaves enough to de-silk, but fold the husk back where they were and grill them like that. Usually I will soak the ears ... to wash them, but also the water soaks into the cob and steams the corn to keep the kernels juicy. Or that's my theory.

Ray
Ray and Vicki, Jeremy (10), Mitchell (10), and Rachel(5)
2002 Wildwood LE 2953BH
2001 Ford E150 Conversion Van

sandeeAR
Explorer
Explorer

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
We`re going to try BBQ chicken this weekend. Have to get a grill first.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
My wifes cousin and I used to like the barbeque chicken I would grill. Had one of those grills with a turning spit so I would spear the chicken and tie the legs down and let it grill until done and then baste it with BBQ sauce. Took me awhile to figure out that you have to cook the chicken before you baste it or it will never get done. Had to start cooking a chicken for each of us cause they were so good. Making myself hungry. Tom

Utahtea
Explorer
Explorer
StaceyE wrote:
I do cheat when I'm just too tired to bother with a fire, or the kids are too hungry to wait.

Well, DH was worse than the kids when it came to waiting for food! LOL
Utahtea

2006 Allegro DA 28

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
We like to cook our own gullosh. I cook and chop about 2lbs. of hamburger up real fine. Before I drain the grease off the cooked hamburger she throws in the chopped onion to let it simmer awhile. I drain and mop up grease out of the hamburger and she pours in the gravy. Then she pours in the drained veggies and let them heat up. She makes instant potatoes and we eat our gullosh and potatoes- salt as needed. We save the left over gullosh and make more potatoes for left overs. Pretty simple with a pot and a frying pan. Hope this helps. Tom

StaceyE
Explorer
Explorer
PyrateSilly wrote:
Smoked ham over a wood fire with either oak, apple wood. Mmmmm people that don't like ham love this one. In the drip pan under the ham put 1/2 Spiced Rum and 1/2 water mix with cinamin sticks, cloves and nutmeg. Let it slowly cook for a few hours.
We've also smoked turkeys and chickens this way, again mmmmmmm good. Oh and when you are about done with the cooking of most things then take a cookie sheet with tator tots and smoke those for a few mins - oh wow so good.
No propane or gas grills allowed at my house. If I wanted to cook things over a stove I would cook it in the house in my opinon. But then everyone has their own opinions on how to cook things ....

Do you cook the ham on with a grate over a fire, and do you use a smoker? This sounds REALLY good and I'd love to try it.
Tom and Stacey
DD Nikki (14) and Kate (9)
Wrigley, our big black dog

lhoz
Explorer
Explorer
We also do the basics from home (steak, chicken,ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers brats)most of our cooking is done on the open fire, love the flavor. One of our favorite meals is italian beef sandwiches. Start it early in the am and let it cook all day in the slow cooker. After a day at the beach or an excursion and you get back to camp and it's ready to go. I have had other fellow campers come to our campsite to find out what smells so good.

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
Smoked ham over a wood fire with either oak, apple wood. Mmmmm people that don't like ham love this one. In the drip pan under the ham put 1/2 Spiced Rum and 1/2 water mix with cinamin sticks, cloves and nutmeg. Let it slowly cook for a few hours.
We've also smoked turkeys and chickens this way, again mmmmmmm good. Oh and when you are about done with the cooking of most things then take a cookie sheet with tator tots and smoke those for a few mins - oh wow so good.
No propane or gas grills allowed at my house. If I wanted to cook things over a stove I would cook it in the house in my opinon. But then everyone has their own opinions on how to cook things ....
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

StaceyE
Explorer
Explorer
Utahtea wrote:
StaceyE wrote:
We do quite a bit of cooking on the tripod grill over a burned down wood fire.

LOL...DH never had the patients to wait for the wood fire to burn down. Ever had chicken cooked over a flaming fire? It's burnt black on the outside and pink in the inside...it's not a pretty picture!

In the summer you might not want to have a fire, or you might be camping somewhere they don't allow open fires or you just might not have the time for one.

Cooking on the tripod took a few years before anything really good other than corn came off it. Now I've got it down pretty well, and can make juicy tender chicken breasts with a perfect smokey flavor. The first year resulted in some pretty dried up or burnt on the outside pink on the inside meat.

I love to cook while camping or I wouldn't go to all the trouble of cooking over fires. Electric or propane appliances are easier, but the challenge of putting a great meal on the table only using fire or coals is one I enjoy. I do cheat when I'm just too tired to bother with a fire, or the kids are too hungry to wait.
Tom and Stacey

Utahtea
Explorer
Explorer
StaceyE wrote:
We do quite a bit of cooking on the tripod grill over a burned down wood fire.

LOL...DH never had the patients to wait for the wood fire to burn down. Ever had chicken cooked over a flaming fire? It's burnt black on the outside and pink in the inside...it's not a pretty picture!

In the summer you might not want to have a fire, or you might be camping somewhere they don't allow open fires or you just might not have the time for one.
Utahtea

2006 Allegro DA 28

StaceyE
Explorer
Explorer
We do quite a bit of cooking on the tripod grill over a burned down wood fire. I cook chicken breasts, pizza, fish, steaks, grilled veggies, pork chops - pretty much any cut of meet I would cook on my gas grill at home. I have seasons for different meats premixed and put into tiny, labeled ziplock bags meant for pills - you can usually find them in the pharmacy isle. I cook potatoes first in foil, either simply wrapping the whole potatoe, or cuting up into quarters with olive oil, onion, garlic, rosemary and sea salt - my family's fav way to eat potatoes. Then the meat and veggies go on the grill with the meat in the center and the veggies around the outside edge where it tends to be a bit cooler. Corn, julienned carrots with butter in a foil packet, mushrooms on a screwer. We also cook up green beans in the electric skillet with a bit of bacon.

I also use dutch ovens stacked with coals in between to cook a pot roast in the bottom and biscuits on top, or pulled pork on bottom, scalloped potatoes in the middle and an apple pie on top - the combinations are limitless and it is really pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

When I'm not in the mood for cooking and just want something quick, I brown up leftover potatoes in an electric skillet and warm a ham steak on the electric griddle. I also use the electric griddle make grown-up grilled cheese sandwiches with good shaved roast turkey deli meat with provolone, thinly sliced tomatoes, a bit of onion, all topped with a pesto sauce.

I think we eat better when camping then any other time!
Tom and Stacey

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
I make the same stuff I make at home - but the easier stuff that does not require a lot of ingredients.

I also take stews, chilis, soups, etc that I have frozen. The added advantage is that it helps keep everything cold.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
lornaschinske wrote:
beermanjoe wrote:
I need to get a portable gas grill.

Yes you do. My daughter will put one of those cheap refrigerated Mama Rosa pizzas on our grill. She says the cheap pizzas turn out better. We have a cheapie Wal-Mart tabletop grill.
I gotta try that. Thanks!

Also, nothing like T-bone steaks while camping and fix baked pototoes in the Microwave.

Corn on the cob on the grill is excellent!

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds