cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campers with young kids, need a new baby monitor

FordsForMe
Explorer
Explorer
For this camping season we will have a new baby. My wife is due 3/13. We camp a lot with friends, and we all have young kids. Does anyone know of a baby monitor with really good range. We always camp beside the friends so we need one that works across 1 site since we all get together at camp fire. The one we currently have has so much static across 1 site that we need to replace it. Let me know if any of you have a good one to recommend. Thanks!!
1992 Dutchmen 220 - gone
2000 Springdale 250bhl - gone
2016 Jayco Jayflight 32bhds
2012 Sierra 2500 HD - gone
2011 F350 Lariat SRW
7 REPLIES 7

6pointOHHH
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one that we have used since our son was born last January. It is a little pricey but we'll worth the cost when you look at all the features. Color/night vision, two way radio through the unit to the baby, thermometer, built-in music, plus other stuff. Check it out. It's coming with us this year on our trips.

http://www.motorola.com/us/other-baby-monitors-1/MBP36-Remote-Wireless-Video-Baby-Monitor/92284.html

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Search ebay for wifi baby monitor or wifi p2p camera. There are cameras that can link directly to your smartphone using wifi, without an Internet connection. Some have two way audio and some even pan/tilt using app on phone.
We have the walkie talkies mentioned and they work, but Video would be great. I have been looking at the wifi cameras to use as a backup camera on the rear of the tt.
4ucam has some on their website.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

FordsForMe
Explorer
Explorer
7ofus wrote:
We have used a pair of decent walkie talkies. Find some with the VOX function - it basically keys the mike if it senses sound. The range is usually listed in miles. I have found if you divide the advertised range by about 10, you get the real range. In any case, more distance than what you are looking for.

Great idea, thank you!!
1992 Dutchmen 220 - gone
2000 Springdale 250bhl - gone
2016 Jayco Jayflight 32bhds
2012 Sierra 2500 HD - gone
2011 F350 Lariat SRW

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dang...I wish I would have thought about the walkie-talkies.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
One nice thing is that the receivers run on battery or AC power so you can plug them in and not worry about batteries going dead.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
We had one almost identical to this one. It had belt clips on the back too. This thing was great. We dedicated it to the camper just for that purpose. The SD state parks sites are HUGE and we could easily go sit with friends at the next site. They are very sensitive and can pick up the slightest peep based on your settings. Not cheap but well worth it.
Pretty sure we bought ours at wally world.

Amazon Clicky.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
We have used a pair of decent walkie talkies. Find some with the VOX function - it basically keys the mike if it senses sound. The range is usually listed in miles. I have found if you divide the advertised range by about 10, you get the real range. In any case, more distance than what you are looking for.