cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Destin, fl

campincory
Explorer
Explorer
We will be in the Destin area camping for a week in June. Does anyone have advise on what a family of 5 would like to do. Our kids range from age 9-15.

If you have ever stayed at a Topsail State Park let me know what you think about it.
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2007 Coachmen Chaperrel 5th Wheel
10 REPLIES 10

campincory
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We already booked our cap spite at Topsail. We booked it last July.
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2007 Coachmen Chaperrel 5th Wheel

BayouBoys
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the water slides. There is one in Destin, but a little pricy. The one in Panama City is less expensive and just as much fun. My kids range from 8-14 and they loved it.

DW found a site where you could buy tickets in advance for discounted prices. You pay online and pickup at a local shop when you get there. I think it is called "TripShock"
2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I love the Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area! Can't help you with campgrounds since we have family in the area and stay with them. My kids love the beach and crab island. For our family snorkel gear and boogie boards are a must! If you are there the first weekend in June you can join in some of the Billy Bowlegs events. Our favorite was the fireworks and night parade!
Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomkaren13 wrote:
I don't like Topsail. Found it to formal. Since it used to be private it is like a resort. The beach is so far away. 1/2 mile ride by tram or bike then a long boardwalk then across the dunes. If you do go and want the beach take a ride out the exit right turn and a mile or so down the road are public beaches. They are closer to the water.
And a lot more crowded!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
I think you and your family will enjoy Topsail - take the bikes, or ride the shuttle to the beach. Destin (the town) is several miles away from Topsail and has lots of touristy, shopping and eating places. Best of both worlds!
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like Topsail. Found it to formal. Since it used to be private it is like a resort. The beach is so far away. 1/2 mile ride by tram or bike then a long boardwalk then across the dunes. If you do go and want the beach take a ride out the exit right turn and a mile or so down the road are public beaches. They are closer to the water.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does become a busy, busy place that time of year. Miniature golf courses abound, as does surf shops. Best bring an extra credit card. Destin teems with activity. Topsail is convenient to the shops, etc and Henderson SP is also close by. Grayton beach is a bit more towards Panama City, but much quieter. But for ANY of these, best check for openings. They book up fast for that time period.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
you will love it. The beaches are beautiful and if you like good seafood(heaven). The beaches are #1 attraction but remember that this is a high tourist area and some things are priced that way. Renting a pontoon boat and hanging out at Crab Island, by Destin bridge, is a hot spot!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
We love it.

1. Go to the beach
2. Eat
3. Repeat
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It is a very nice place but I don't like it. Destin is a tourist town and Panama City Beach is just a short drive away. Between the two good dining abounds and some of the best beaches in the world will lie in front of you.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)