cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Family Game time

BlackSeriesUS
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my favorite activities when camping is sitting at the table with my family playing games. Some of our best memories come from this as well. Our TV quietly sits on its stand on the wall collecting dust. My kids look forward to game time as well. We like all of the usual card games: UNO, Phase 10, etc... But our favorite, and most violent (but fun violent) is Spoons. Look it up if you haven't heard of it. We even found a travel version of the game. But all you need is a deck of cards and enough spoons to have one less than the amount of players you have. It gets cut throat with my kids ;).
So my favorite is Spoons, What's yours?
12 REPLIES 12

LuxeSoni52
Explorer
Explorer

Playing games with family while camping sounds like a wonderful tradition!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
BlackSeriesUS wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
My parents' dining room table had a huge gouge in it for years... From a cutthrouat game of spoons.

Spoons is a game where the more players the better. Great game.

Gouges in tables!!! Good gosh, that does sound like it got violent! Hahaha The best we got was people jumping across the table, followed by a fervent tug of war over the last spoon.

Yeah, it's safer playing on a picnic table. We used to play at 4-H camp as kids and would have as many as 12-15 players. Definitely needed a good strategy. We never did eliminate players, just kept going until we crashed.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BlackSeriesUS
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
We travel as a decrepit couple anymore, cribbage is about as violent as we get anymore.

Hahahahaha! You're NEVER to old to be violent in a game of spoons. But it is best to be sneaky.;)

BlackSeriesUS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another fun game we have played the last few years is Nickel Dice. Dice, a deck of cards and a bowl to hold your nickels. We learned it from a cousin that works in a retirement home. The residents play to keep the pot so that they have change to wash their clothes. We just divvy the change back up and start over.

BlackSeriesUS
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
My parents' dining room table had a huge gouge in it for years... From a cutthrouat game of spoons.

Gouges in tables!!! Good gosh, that does sound like it got violent! Hahaha The best we got was people jumping across the table, followed by a fervent tug of war over the last spoon.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Farkle aka 10,000. It only takes six dice and a pencil and paper to keep score.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When we are through with the day early, I have finished the next days travel plan, don't feel like going to bed yet and we night want a break from what books we are reading, we may play open gin rummy. This is harder than you think. Seeing the others cards does not mean you will make the right choices.

In case we have more than two, we have Qwirkle. This is sort of like Mexican Train, but without a whole set of dominoes. It only requires a flat place and not a very large one at that. The travel version is a soft pack and can be stored anywhere.

We don't carry a TV, I do have a laptop, but we don't usually try to bother with electronic entertainment.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

PHM4LR
Explorer
Explorer
Rummy tiles/cube

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican Train

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
We travel as a decrepit couple anymore, cribbage is about as violent as we get anymore.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Maid! Of course!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad