cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fun things to do with the kids

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We are crossing country this summer with two grand kids and have plans to visit: Niagara, Presque Isles, Mississippi River, Badlands, Wind Caves, Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. But there will be some long stretches where boredom will reign. One thing we thought about was having the boys join the Junior Ranger programs and working on the booklets. Has anyone done this? Also looking into geocaching as the eldest will have his first phone.
Anyone have any experience with either
21 REPLIES 21

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took 2 8 year old's to Yellowstone a couple years back and they had some fun but got bored quickly. After a bit, all the water pools and geysers look the same. My sons friend was the worst, didn't want to walk anywhere. I swore that if I was going to do anything like that again I would buy them both cheap cameras and make a photo contest out of it. Something to give them an incentive to look at the next one and want to go down the boardwalk or get out of the truck at the next stop.

We did bring their bikes which they liked a lot and was good when we were not at a park like Yellowstone. As for on the ride, the iPad's were the biggest hit and kept them occupied for hours.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, don't forget to bring some card games. Some of our favorites include: Pit, Go Fish, Old Maid and the latest - Racko. Card games are simple to carry, easy to play and the whole family can play together. Oh! We also like to take checkers on our trips.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

clarkbre
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
... But there will be some long stretches where boredom will reign. One thing we thought about was having the boys join the Junior Ranger programs and working on the booklets....

This is probably the best educational idea for them. My boys (8 & 5) love doing this and ask to start on the booklets long before we start our journey. There is also an online Jr. Ranger program that has really good curriculum that does not require an actual visit to the destination. Subjects like "Help Abe Lincoln to the White House" and anything relating to aquatic life have been favorites. They then relate the information learned online to real life when we visit the beach or aquariums. It's also entertaining and educational for adults too.

For the long stretches of road, tune in to some podcasts or audio books. There is lots of family friendly content that's also entertaining and educational.

Podcasts:
America's National Parks
Those Park Guys
Brains On
But Why: A Podcast for Curious Kids
The Stuff You Missed in History Class

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always played, and started to do it now with my family. We play the license plate game to see if we can find all 50 states.

We'd also keep a running list of all the names of the trucking companies.

At camp, there's flashlights for exploring and always have the bikes.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again all. We will be on the road from June 28 to July 19 so its a long stretch so as many different experiences that we can fit in the better and your right, we are keeping it pretty open. The only problem was Yellowstone which we needed to get reservations for early.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Roy & Lynne,

It sounds like you are dragging a small TT. This is not a problem, but thinking that you can be bored while traveling is. Get all the guide books you can find and start making up maps now. There is way too much to see in this country.

Dragging the TT is really not a big issue, but it means that you have to think a head a lot more. I do not know what you TV is, but that doesn't matter if you do things that need to happen.

When we do (and did) travel with kids (ours are now the parents), we try to set up days so that we bivouac the night, get the day started and get to the local attraction. Wear the kids out, and then travel to the next overnight location. That last part is easier for us now because with the coach, any flat spot will do.

If you have question about attractions, come back and ask here. Even at 8 and 11, there is a world out there that will cause amazement and memories for ever.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Bother before your trip and as you travel let the kids pick things to see and do. In other words get them involved with the decision making. For example, you're going to be in the Black Hills of SD. There is lots more to see and do than just Mount Rushmore. Find out as much as you can. Let them pick some places to see. Then mix it up so that the entire groups gets to see and do things they want to do.

Be spontaneous and not regimented with your itinerary. That way if you find out about something that you didn't know about (and you will) you can introduce it to them to help decide if they want to do it. Don't be tied to times for things unless you have to buy advanced tickets that are timed for something.

In between talk about your experiences on the trip with each other.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Our kids loved (and still love) the alphabet game, car bingo (the ones you can buy at Cracker Barrel), and movies on either a portable DVD player or laptop with headphones (for your sanity). Enjoy the trip and make lots of great memories!

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
My children are 10 and 13, both girls and they are pretty good about riding far and wide. They each have cell phones, kindle fires, laptops and they watch movies, read books, sing, laugh, talk (we do our best talking in the vehicle when they are stuck there). At camp, we swim, walk in the woods, hike, bike, etc. They each help fix meals and some nights we will do Dutch oven meals they pick what goes in. We do pie iron nights and these can be very easy, but very good. (Check out a couple of threads in the Camp Cooks forum here). We LOVE to do pizzas over the fire. Purchase either packets of dough to make or get the frozen/fresh at the grocery store, gather the ingredients - red/white sauces, pepperoni, olives, onions, rotisserie chicken or whatever to put on top, then add cheese on top. Place on the well-oiled grill and top with a tent of foil. YUMMY, YUMMY! This can take up 2-3 hours on an evening, just fixing pizza. I will also purchase a can of pie filling (cherry, blueberry, etc) and fix pizza dough, add the filling and cook as above. Using a baggy, pipe a powdered sugar/milk mixture icing or use store bought.

My kids like to color, paint, do crafts and outside at a picnic table is the PERFECT place for that. A couple years ago, I purchased $1 wooden blank frames at the Dollar Tree. We gathered small pine cones, acorns, and other nature items and used some tacky glue to attach to frame. We took pictures that went into these frames. I printed them at Walmart that next day. It was a great souvenir.

PINTEREST has some great ideas.

PIE IRON RECIPES
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
If the kids get on your nerves, give them each a $5 bill and have them hold it to the window with their foreheads. The last one to drop it gets to keep the money! Any that talk during the “ contest “ loses!

Wish I had thought of that one years ago.
When I was active duty and gone a lot, I used to keep a couple of rolls of dimes in the car, when we got home, I would show the boys the roll of $5.00 worth of dimes and then slide them out of the tube and toss them straight up in the air. They would find 48 of them usually within 20 minutes or so and then spend the next hour or more searching for the last 2, which were in my pants pocket, while I reacquainted myself with DW. :W

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some good books on tape (or CD or MP3) might help the hours glide by. I was always fond of the Swiss Family Robinson--and, indeed, still am. There are many other great books, too, of course.

If you have a motorhome (and so can ride at the table), there are a lot more possibilities for things to do. A spirograph set is a lot of fun and would probably be workable on smooth roads. There are plenty of good board and card games that could be played. Cribbage is one that I like, and certainly is within the range of an 11 year old...and probably many 8 year olds as well.

If you can manage it, spend a day (a full day) at the St Louis City Museum. You may wish to bring knee pads.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If the kids get on your nerves, give them each a $5 bill and have them hold it to the window with their foreheads. The last one to drop it gets to keep the money! Any that talk during the “ contest “ loses!

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to another forum and a group I set up for info on WNY
Niagara Falls things to do.

There is in my opinion a better place than Presque Isle, and that is Allegany State Park on I86 south of Buffalo. It is rated one of the best State Parks in America. Link to Allegany State Park (PS: there are 2 campgrounds in the park Red House & Quaker - we like Quaker)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer