cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mountain biking with grade school kids around IN and KY

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I guess the title says most of it. Where are good sites to Dirt/Mountain bike in IN or KY? Preferably close to good trailer camp sites?
5 REPLIES 5

4monkeys
Explorer
Explorer
We live in OH, but camping in Indiana State Parks has been one of our favorite. Indiana just has such a great and varied State Park system. The parks have a lot of features to them. I hope the state keeps on keeping them up!! They are a GEM!
This year, Turkey Run is top on our list. Probably OBannon Woods. And maybe a return to Spring Mill now that it's back on my mind. Oh wait! That little boat ride into the cave was there too!!! Our kids really liked that and it was cheap too!
I'm glad you saw this message and the info was useful! They don't advertise that mountain-bike practice course, we were pleasantly surprised when we discovered it.

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
4Monkeys, that's GREAT information. I grew up less than 30 minutes from Spring Mill. My dad took me there as a kid, it's one of his favorite places.

We live in Indy now, small town Southern Indiana just didn't offer enough opportunity for a computer programmer like me!

But, knowing the Spring Mill has a dirt bike track moves it to the top of the list for this summer!

Southern Indiana is God's country to me. I close my eyes and I'm back on Jersey Park Road climbing hills and playing in the creek with the snakes, turtles and everything else!

4monkeys
Explorer
Explorer
And I just want to say, that my husband nor I could remember which Park it was that this was at, we only remembered it was either in KY or IN....so it took me forever to comb through maps of all the parks we've camped at in both states, to find which one this was at!!! Ha!

4monkeys
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you see this response ---
If the kids are just starting on Mountain Biking, I'd start here:
Spring Mill Indiana State Park!!
They have a "Dirt Jump Park", basically a smaller skill-practice mountain biking course where they can get used to bumps, turns, uneven services, inclines, downhills, etc. We took our kids here a few years ago and learned we need to wait longer before going on a real mountain biking trail where experienced adults could be flying past us.
The park also has a pioneer village and a working mill where you can watch & buy cornmeal ground right there. The cornmeal was AWESOME. I need to get back there. We didn't even see everything when we were there. But that was a really great vacation all the way around.
But if you are just starting to explore mountain biking w/ your kids, I highly recommend this as a place to start!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for this topic. More bikers out there than in here!
For example search for `Indiana mountain biking' etc.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)