cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tampa, FL to Birmingham, AL - Sightseeing... What to do?

Mako284
Explorer
Explorer
Need recommendations, please...

My wife, 2 daughters (ages 16 & 12) and I are traveling (truck & 5th wheel) this week from Tampa to Birmingham.

We have some time to do a little sightseeing along the way (to or from).

We are always going to the beach, so something different would be good. Thinking something in Georgia, Alabama or mid-southern Tennessee (Chattanooga).

Any recommendations on something fun the family would enjoy seeing or doing?

Thought about Atlanta/Stone Mountain/Aquarium, Calaway Gardens, Lookout Mountain, any other thoughts???

Thanks, Tom & Jen
10 REPLIES 10

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pine Mountain and day trips around... FDR State Park, White Springs, Callaway Gardens...

Agrirama in Tifton...

Andersonville, GA National Cemetery, Prisoners of War..

Eufala, AL Lake Point State Park... very pretty town and state park is nice

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
The Pensacola aviation museum is the Naval Aviation Museum onboard NAS Pensacola. It is not an Air Force Museum. Yes, it is world class.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chattanooga is a really cool town to visit. They have a great aquarium, and lots of things to do. To me Iโ€™d much rather see โ€˜nooga than ATL.

Birmingham has a great food scene.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The Air Force Museum in Pensacola is world class. The Air Force museum in Warner Robbins Ga is also very good.

Georgia Museum of Agriculture in Tifton Ga. which is an 19th century village and farm is good.

Ocmulgee National Historical Park Macon Ga has Indian culture remnants from beginning the Ice Age.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Mountain GA is a good place to visit. It's a little early for Callaway Gardens but a nice place to see. The Little White House is in the area also. If you like old homes you can go into La Grange and see Hills and Dales Estate. If in La Grange you have to eat at Taste of Lemon.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Mako284
Explorer
Explorer
We leave tomorrow...

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Mako284 wrote:
Need recommendations, please...

My wife, 2 daughters (ages 16 & 12) and I are traveling (truck & 5th wheel) this week from Tampa to Birmingham.

We have some time to do a little sightseeing along the way (to or from).

We are always going to the beach, so something different would be good. Thinking something in Georgia, Alabama or mid-southern Tennessee (Chattanooga).

Any recommendations on something fun the family would enjoy seeing or doing?

Thought about Atlanta/Stone Mountain/Aquarium, Calaway Gardens, Lookout Mountain, any other thoughts???

Thanks, Tom & Jen

When are you planning this trip?
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Sloss Furnace in Bham.
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you will be interested in the Atlanta aquarium when you see the downtown traffic. I don't go there unless I have a specific reason. Parking will be a problem with the 5er.
Maybe you could find a site at Stone Mtn and then drive the truck there. CocaCola world headquarters is nearby and the World of Coke is just beside it. There is a small trade school on N Ave your may have heard of, Georgia Tech, across the street from Coke.
The Varsity drive in might interest you if you have ever heard of it. It is on N Ave as well, just across over the interstate from Tech.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
National Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT