cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adopting older "kids"

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along the way, we had 4, count them, 4 rescued King Charles Spaniels at one time. Our very first and turned out to be our last(surviving her three younger sisters) made the Journey to the Rainbow Bridge about 5 months ago. We still have two other rescues(a mini Schnauzer and a Wire haired Mini Dachshund).

I realize we are setting ourselves up for heartbreak but we may soon adopt two matched King Charles Spaniels that are 13 years old. Unusual circumstances make it necessary for the owner to leave the "kids" behind(owner is leaving the country and her concern is the long flight and a month long quarantine would be too much for the kids to handle)….I tend to agree with her thinking.

Anyways....I know its the right thing to do for the Doggies(giving them a Loving Home for whatever time(years hopefully) they have left. We've adopted an older doggie before so this is not completely unheard of.

Anyone else here adopt older ones...any regrets(I can't imagine any)...any words of wisdom? Thanks for listening....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
49 REPLIES 49

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
His arthritis is fine - he's on a chewable med. It has really helped. It's his "old dog barking" (there's a specific note to that bark) and his "I'm an old dog so I don't have to listen anymore. I can just ignore you and pretend I don't hear you" and his "I don't need to get up as soon as you wake anymore" that I'm getting used to. His habits are changing very quickly after years of being steady.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
dturm wrote:
The only downsides we've encountered are that sometimes you have a short time to enjoy their company and sometimes they have peculiar habits that require some getting used to.

At our age, going through the puppy stage is difficult (not impossible) and there are so many seniors that need the home that this has been our choice for our last 3 dogs.

I've had my Moose-dog since he was 8 weeks old. He's now 11 and has developed "old man dog syndrome" - I'm now having to get accustomed to his new peculiar habits...

If one of those peculiar habits is due to Arthritis etc in the rear, talk to your vet, get some of this and give it a try. I usually shy away from the stuff our Vet wants us to buy, but although pricey, this product has made a world of difference after about a month of use. It's almost like rolling back the clock a few years.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
The only downsides we've encountered are that sometimes you have a short time to enjoy their company and sometimes they have peculiar habits that require some getting used to.

At our age, going through the puppy stage is difficult (not impossible) and there are so many seniors that need the home that this has been our choice for our last 3 dogs.

I've had my Moose-dog since he was 8 weeks old. He's now 11 and has developed "old man dog syndrome" - I'm now having to get accustomed to his new peculiar habits...

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scottiemom wrote:
Our dogs have all been rescues. Some purebred, some not. Currently we have a 12 year old Scottish Terrier who developed diabetes two years ago, then cataracts and is now blind. We full time and she still loves to go outside and smell new places. She has all her other senses and recognizes people she knows, etc.

Yes it is hard to lose them, we get so attached. But think of how many lives we have loved and saved through rescuing and how many have lived better lives because we have taken them in when they were old and loved them for as long as we can. Nothing wrong with that.

My son's rescue was just given a devastating diagnosis for which there is no cure. He is part pit and discarded at one time. My son got him from a foster and has loved him all this time. Son got married and had a little girl who loves her dog. It will be sad for all, but at least Jax has known what love is for his senior years.

As I get older I have thought if I want another dog after my wee one dies, I might look at adopting older, unwanted dogs. I shouldn't have to worry about them outliving me and I will be able to give an older dog a great life at the end of his time.

Dale

Many rescue groups have a "senior-senior" adoption. A senior person can adopt a senior pet at a reduced rate. It works well for those who worry about a pet outliving them or trying to deal with the puppy stage.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
We only adopt strays. We now have a discarded coon hound and a 9 year old Lab / Chow 108 pound solid black mix that was expertly trained and then discarded in our driveway (we live on a farm in the country). We have never in 40 years had a pure bred dog here.

I didn't know you had a Chowlab. Ours is about 13 and is starting to feel her age. She just showed up one day in 2006 when she was about a year old and adopted us. Not 108 lbs though, more like 45 but definitely lab and chow, and maybe a smidge of something else.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
There going to get an adventure the first day they get here. There suppose to be getting to us next weekend(24th) and it just so happens that's the same weekend we will be having our house tented for termites so we will be camping in the motorhome in our driveway for the weekend.

It will be close quarters for the kids and us for a few days but that will probably be a good thing...everyone will have to get along quickly!!! 🙂
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Do it and give them the best life you can afford. Take them RVing!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my gosh. My eyes are filling up reading all the wonderful adoption stories here. You are such good people. We have always adopted young dogs, but not puppies. We have yet adopted an older dog, but I'd have to think about it. On one hand, I would want to give them the best life has to offer for as long or short as they have left. On the other hand, I'd be a gonner. Emotionally, it would be very difficult for me, but I'm not the focus here, a pet in need is.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank You all....our age has certainly gone into the mix of things. When we were in Branson 2 years ago, we visited the Humane Society Thrift Store and of course their adoption center was next door. We came away with a 4 month old rescue(wire haired Dachshund)....a wonderful addition to the family.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

dturm

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
We just took a 10 yo Chihuahua from DW’s sister. He was her son’s who went in the army 2 years ago, and isn’t coming home any time soon. They had two large breed dogs of their own, and “Nico” was lowest on the pecking order. They knew we had a Chihuahua that passed away a little over a year ago, so asked if we wanted him. He was well cared for, but pretty much ignored, and if you know Chi’s, you know they love attention, and want to be with their family always. Fast forward three months, and he is loving life! You can tell how happy he is to be loved! He has added joy to our lives, as we try to add joy to his. Just coos when you pick him up. Follows us around the house licking at your leg etc. He turned out to be a great traveler, and goes everywhere with us. Fortunately he was well potty trained. I know adopting/rescuing an older dog can be difficult, but our experience has been great, so I thought I’d share.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Our dogs have all been rescues. Some purebred, some not. Currently we have a 12 year old Scottish Terrier who developed diabetes two years ago, then cataracts and is now blind. We full time and she still loves to go outside and smell new places. She has all her other senses and recognizes people she knows, etc.

Yes it is hard to lose them, we get so attached. But think of how many lives we have loved and saved through rescuing and how many have lived better lives because we have taken them in when they were old and loved them for as long as we can. Nothing wrong with that.

My son's rescue was just given a devastating diagnosis for which there is no cure. He is part pit and discarded at one time. My son got him from a foster and has loved him all this time. Son got married and had a little girl who loves her dog. It will be sad for all, but at least Jax has known what love is for his senior years.

As I get older I have thought if I want another dog after my wee one dies, I might look at adopting older, unwanted dogs. I shouldn't have to worry about them outliving me and I will be able to give an older dog a great life at the end of his time.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
All 4 of our dogs have been rescues and older. The oldest was 14 when we adopted her, she was with us for 1 1/2 yrs. Another of ours was a puppy mill survivor and 9 yrs old when we adopted. She lived for only another 1 1/2 yrs. The next was a kennel breeder and 7 yrs old - he was with us 5 1/2 yrs, and our current was 8 yrs old and has been with us for 5 yrs and a few months now. Thankfully she is very healthy except for failing eyesight. We wouldn't trade a minute of the time we spent with them and will do it all over again when the time comes.

Only words of wisdom would be - be patient with them while they adjust to their new home. We had one that pooped in each room of the house. We told him gently that was naughty - you have to go outside - would put him out. He went thru each room of the house - did his duty - was told no, outside again, and then never had another accident other than when sick in the house . They need to learn what is expected of them and it doesn't usually take long. They will worm their way right into your heart. Go for it!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a wonderful idea to even consider adopting an older dog...or cat. Our daughter has an older adopted cat now. He’s a treasure!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on what Crowe said.

I have a 3-1/2 year old cocker spaniel. IF something happens to him before his normal life span and I am still able to take care of one, I will adopt one or a bonded pair of cocker spaniels and give them a good, quality life for whatever time they have left.

Go for it.