cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

After giving your dog pills. Do you give them water?

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
I notice at times, as Anonymous Jr. takes more then one pill. That the pill will stick to his throat. What I've been doing is cupping my hand with some water in it, open his mouth, then pour it in.

I was just wondering as I hate when a pill gets stuck in the back of my throat. Do any of you's do dat too?

Anonymous
14 REPLIES 14

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Jerrybo66 wrote:
DOTLDaddy.
Your system seems good but I think there may be a problem between number 1 and two directions. ๐Ÿ™‚ Being your dogs aren't lap dogs maybe they are well trained enough that all you need to tell them is "OPEN YOUR DAMN MOUTH". I've considered your suggestion but noticed that the lumps on the side of the jaws of the Pit and Rottie aren't bumps of fat..... So, lets consider I have a helper. I have one arm on a neck hold. One hand with the pill. Two hands prying the jaws apart. Who squirts the water?? :B I don't have access to abundant labor, I'm my own Grandpa, so I just break out the cheese and beef cubes and do it the coward's way...... I like your sig...

Neck hold? No.... It is a snoot hold, with one thumb pushing the lip/cheek into teeth to cause mouth to open.

However, non-force (treat-pills) is best as long as it works.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I coat pills lightly with fat or oil to prevent sticking.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy.
Your system seems good but I think there may be a problem between number 1 and two directions. ๐Ÿ™‚ Being your dogs aren't lap dogs maybe they are well trained enough that all you need to tell them is "OPEN YOUR DAMN MOUTH". I've considered your suggestion but noticed that the lumps on the side of the jaws of the Pit and Rottie aren't bumps of fat..... So, lets consider I have a helper. I have one arm on a neck hold. One hand with the pill. Two hands prying the jaws apart. Who squirts the water?? :B I don't have access to abundant labor, I'm my own Grandpa, so I just break out the cheese and beef cubes and do it the coward's way...... I like your sig...
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Gretchen had always been a terrible pill taker, but since we have to give her a daily prednisone pill now, we have become somewhat "expert" with our routine. It is easier with two people, but I have done it by myself as well.
  1. Tilt patients head back
  2. Pop the pill towards the back of the mouth
  3. Quickly, squirt a 3ml syringe of water towards back of the throat
  4. By reflex, patient swallows water AND pill
  5. Favorite treat given immediately to chase the pill down.

You can get that kind of needleless syringe at any pharmacy or vet office. Ours is 3ml, but something a little bigger would work just as well, like this one:.
:C

Wow! This is a great tip. And with all my years in dogs, I don't know anyone ever mentioning this. :S I am definately going to try this with Sage. She's a problem with getting pills in her.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

MAC-a-roni
Explorer
Explorer
My Shih Tzu takes Medrol (corticosteroid) for his allergies. I dissolve the pill in about a tablespoon of water. Once it's dissolved, I add about 1/4 cup of milk and put the solution in a small dish. He finishes it off no problem. The milk hides the taste of the Medrol.

He also takes Atarax. The pill dissolves in water, but slowly. For this med, I have to add a little sour cream or sugar to the milk/med mixture, as he can taste the medicine.
I'm a happy camper, are you?:)

GulfStream StreamLite 28TRS (sold 11/30/2014)
2009 Ford F-150 Lariat, 5.4L, max tow pkg

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW Farm stores (brick & mortar and online) also sell syringes; we typically by a box at a time of 1mL, 3mL and 12mL syringes.

Did you know that some meds given to large animals are in pill form? Imagine trying to give 50 cows each one pill.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Gretchen had always been a terrible pill taker, but since we have to give her a daily prednisone pill now, we have become somewhat "expert" with our routine. It is easier with two people, but I have done it by myself as well.
  1. Tilt patients head back
  2. Pop the pill towards the back of the mouth
  3. Quickly, squirt a 3ml syringe of water towards back of the throat
  4. By reflex, patient swallows water AND pill
  5. Favorite treat given immediately to chase the pill down.

You can get that kind of needleless syringe at any pharmacy or vet office. Ours is 3ml, but something a little bigger would work just as well, like this one:

BTW, good job on scoring the new Jeep, Calvin! I gave up on stick shifts many, many years ago.
:C

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I usually give our dogs their pills in homemade sausage chunks or pieces of American cheese. The other day our Pit Bull would have nothing to do with either. Time for force. I figured I'd get him in a choke hold, force his mouth open and drive the pill down his throat. Good plan. I got him in a choke hold........... So much for plan................ Later in the day when he was feeling better he ate the piece of sausage with the pill in it... FWIW...
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
My Dad gives me chewable pills in beef or chicken flavor (i got tired of peanut butter flavor).
My sister tho, gives me the hard, yucky tasting pills. She picks up my head and pushes the pill down the side of my mouth (i have learned how to bite her finger while doing this). Then she blows in my nose until i start licking. I then run out and get a drink from my bowl of water. Not sure why, could be the bad breath or dirty fingers, you know how dirty those humans are.

I like dad's pills better, sometimes mom will give me a piece of cheese afterwards.

Bliss

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Peanut butter is perfect for pills

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
I wrap the pill in either a piece of lunch meat or a dab of peanut butter and down it goes. The dog usually takes a drink shortly thereafter. Never had a problem yet.

ed
๐Ÿ™‚

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I usually give medication right before a meal, too. And I always add a little warm water or broth to their food.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the pill can't be taken with food, I usually give mine pills before I feed them. I have never had a dog that was easier to give pills than Holly. I can hold a pill in the palm of my hand, and she will take it and eat it. She's also doing an excellent job of teaching Buster to do the same.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
A good drink before and after will help the medicine go down. A drink before will lubricate the esophagus, and plenty of water after to wash it down.