cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Degenerative Myelopathy

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 120 lb German Shepherd who has Degenerative Myelopathy, we are looking to get a rear harness that we can use to support him, there are so many different types out there that we would like to hear from anyone who uses these harness as to what they think and how happy they are with them. We have a ramp into our 5th wheel, but he will be needing help.
Thanks
MIchael
2007 Dodge 3500 Quad 6.7 L Cummins
2012 Montana 3750FL
My mind keeps writing checks my body won't cash.
12 REPLIES 12

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks corgi-traveler for the information and for your assistance in emailing Bobbie Mayer for us. We do want to keep our boy as long as we can and any information that allows us to do that is very much appreciated.
Thanks again
Michael and Tye
2012 Montana 3750FL

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I emailed Bobbie Mayer (author of the book I suggested in an earlier post)...
here is the short version of her answer. "I" here is her talking, btw.

1. I doubt they would want the dog in the cart in the trailer, anyway, so they'd most likely take him out and carry him into the trailer.

2. The issue with the ramp is more the width than the incline, especially for a dog the size of a GSD.

3. In her opinion, the best option would be to have the dog in a cart when outside, and use a harness to assist the dog up the ramp.

4. The Ruffwear Doubleback harness is really supportive and can be worn in a cart, so they might consider that and then take him out of the cart to go up into the RV
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'm sure the ramp I have for the 5th wheel is much steeper than a wheel chair ramp, so I'll have to think about a way of modifying the ramp if we go that route.
2012 Montana 3750FL

dturm
corgi-traveler wrote:
Most cart dogs handle wheelchair ramps with ease. It depends on how much strength the dog has in the front, though.

I would agree as long as the ramps are constructed within ADA guidelines. Most RV ramps are at a much steeper incline and would pose a problem with carts.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Most cart dogs handle wheelchair ramps with ease. It depends on how much strength the dog has in the front, though.
Samantha (the poster)
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information on wheel chairs, we are also looking at that possibility, for the moment we will take it as it comes. Do you know if the dog can get up a ramp in a wheel chair? Our boy is a little to big for us to be picking him up.
2012 Montana 3750FL

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
DM dogs can have many more years of good quality life in a wheelchair cart.
Check out http://www.k9carts.com/

This book focuses on corgis with DM, but you may still find it useful. Written by a friend of mine.
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Samantha (the poster)
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, we will order one.
2012 Montana 3750FL

dturm
We used the bottoms up rear support. It worked for our male dog and he tolerated it well after a bit of training. It was pretty easy to get it adjusted so the stress on me was minimal.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Doug
I was just on the site that you suggested, they have three products that look like what we would need they are "Bottoms Up Dog rear support lease" , "Fabric Walkin lift rear harness" and "Walkabout rear harness" . Which product do you think would be best for our situation?
Thanks
MIchael
2012 Montana 3750FL

dturm
I usually point my clients to handicappedpets.com. I find they have a very complete selection of aids.

The chest slings don't work for Degenerative myelopathy patients. With males, it's particularly important to have a sling that that keeps the belly open so they can urinate. My preference is to get one with rear leg rings. This worked real well for our Buddy (severe hip arthritis and ACL in one knee) but required 2 people - one to lead and one to support the back end. For a dog a little less head strong, one person could probably do fine.

I've had a hand full of DM patients in my career, a most difficult situation as there used to be nothing we could do. My brother's dog, Jasmine, died several years ago due to this disease, I felt pretty useless. At least now there is some potential with the stem cell therapy, not cheap and not fully proven, but very good first reports.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Pet Assist harness that goes around the ribs, for my old dog when he couldn't make it up the ramp alone. Not sure if that would work for a bigger dog with a back end problem, or not.

BTW they are doing stem cell transplants on DM dogs with some positive results.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.