cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Doberman

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone travel or have a Doberman? Looking for some general info. Thinking of getting another dog and it's on top of my list.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
30 REPLIES 30

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
More Doderman pictures please.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Ok we can't have a Doberman thread without any pictures of a Doberman:B

Did I say his favorite past times are stick chasing and swimming;)

What a beautiful dog!
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Ok we can't have a Doberman thread without any pictures of a Doberman:B

Did I say his favorite past times are stick chasing and swimming;)

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
We love the breed, smart, trainable and lovely to look at. Having standard poodles for the past fourty years we always joke they are like dobermans with hair. The good thing with standards is when they ask what kind of dogs we have, we say poodles. They smile and say that's fine.

Dobermans also seemed to be going through a lot of health issues. They do not have the longest life expectancy. Saying that, find a good breeder that does all of the health testing. They make fantastic, loyal pets.

Sooo true. Our last dog was a standard poodle and he was welcome everywhere. Of course, he had good manners too. Our first dog was a well-behaved Doberman lady. She was every bit as smart as our standard poodle, but lots of people were afraid of her just because of her looks and so-called reputation.

Incidentally, we have a little Bichon-Poodle now and he still needs a lot of training(he's a rescue). But people take one look at him and just want to hug him & squeeze him & stroke his pretty feathers. Um, no. Not if you want to walk away with your face intact. Get away from my dog! He's definitely a work in progress and we are very careful with him around other people and pets. But despite his skittish nature, I'm pretty sure most campgrounds would allow him in and keep a docile Doberman out.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Crazy4gsds
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had a Dobie but have camped with our 2 German Shepherds. I never ran into any breed restrictions with them per se. I did ask when making the reservation if it would be a problem to bring them. If nothing else, they were like a novelty because whenever we would have them outside and people would walk by everyone would stop and ask us if they could pet them. Even a park ranger at a SP stopped by our TT just to see them and comment how much he appreciated us having them under control. We now have a 9 month old German Shepherd puppy that we just started camping with. She is super social - almost too social but I'd rather have her that way than the other extreme. Good luck!
2011 CruiserRV Viewfinder 27RBSS
2012 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew EcoBoost
Frannie our dark sable German Shepherd furkid
Fritz our red sable German Shepherd Dog gone but never forgotten
Darby our black/tan German Shepherd Dog gone but never forgotten

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
thomasgunnar wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Anyone travel or have a Doberman? Looking for some general info. Thinking of getting another dog and it's on top of my list.

I say go for it. There will be places that turn you away that's a given. One of our dogs is a Rottweiler and we have been told no more than once. Their loss as far as I am concerned.

The place we do most of our camping at love her. We stopped in when she was about 6 months old and asked if she could camp there. This will be her 5th season camping there. If someone mentions the scaryarry Rottweiler they will defend her.

She is pretty special to us. I will now show her off.

She's darling!!

We get the same comments about our dog. People see him walking nicely on the leash letting kids come up and surround him and pet him and pull his ears, and everyone is shocked.

It's nice when a well behaved rottie (or dobie, or GSD, etc) can set a good example and be an ambassador for the breed.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

I say go for it. There will be places that turn you away that's a given. One of our dogs is a Rottweiler and we have been told no more than once. Their loss as far as I am concerned.

The place we do most of our camping at love her. We stopped in when she was about 6 months old and asked if she could camp there. This will be her 5th season camping there. If someone mentions the scary Rottweiler they will defend her.

She is pretty special to us. I will now show her off.

Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with Dobies, but I do have a 6 year old rottweiler that we camp with all the time, so I can address that.

In the area that I am in, there are very few campgrounds where there is a breed restriction. There are some, of course, but there is always an equivalent alternative that I can find easily.

Most places say that as long as the dog isn't aggressive, he is welcome. I appreciate that b/c I have a lovely and socialized rottie, but I have encountered aggressive labs and mean little dogs. I don't care what breed it is, if it's aggressive, get it away from me and my kids.

We were considering going to Niagara Falls this summer and I did find what I was looking for, but I had to search for quite awhile. Again, I did find it.
Same thing with Gatlinburg. Next year I want to go to the Smoky Mountains and in Galinburg there is a city ordinance against certain breeds and the Yogi Bear I wanted to stay at prohibits rotties. I called them personally and explained that we have stayed at multiple Yogies in Michigan, Kentucky, and Indiana, and it was never an issue. He said that they couldn't do it due to the city ordinance, he was very apologetic and even gave me the name and number for 2 other similar campgrounds. I called the other CGs, and the do accept any breed, and have what I was looking for at the Yogi park.

I would do it again for sure. In fact, next week we are getting an English Mastiff pup. So, we'll be camping with a rottweiler and a Mastiff, lmao!!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
Depends on why you're leaning towards a Dobie. If you think that this dog will make you look like a Bad A**, you will be mistaken

I was one of those years ago and didn't need a dog to do it. :W
2015 Wrangler JKU

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have been camping with my Doberman's for 7 years. In my area there is no shortage of CG's that will accommodate us. My dog is very smart and has lots of camping savvy. There are a 4 parks in the area that prohibit Dobies.
Two are KOA's, and one is a CG with more rules than a prison. I consider it their loss not mine.There are plenty of CG's willing to take my money.

While camping or at home we often seek out dog parks were our Dobie can run free and interact with other dogs. He is very socialized and is good with other dogs or people. When the occasional ankle biter get loose comes yapping at him our Dobie does not get excited and doesn't seem to mind.

One thing about camping with a Dobie is that people are intimidated by him. He is friendly but his bark is fierce. While fearless he is smart and not aggressive he knows friend from foe.
Fellow campers do keep there distance. I do not have to worry about people cutting through my site.
He is a great dog that dog lovers often admire when we take our walks through the CG.
Once while at a large amusement park CG. One of my kids friends did not shut the door well and the dog got loose. Our site was right across from the playground.
CG personnel were alerted to him wandering in the playground amongst all the kids. They quickly tracked me down at the pool. When I returned to the RV the dog was sitting right in front of the trailer waiting for me to let him in.
He never showed any aggression to anyone. While the CG personnel were obviously concerned and monitored the situation. They said the dog behaved very well and returned to the RV without incident.
Dobie's are very intelligent and very trainable. My dog has learned anything I have tried to teach him. Dobies are smart,fearless and have a keen awareness. They do make great watchdogs. They are also very loyal, They are fine with kids and can adapt to most any environment. I believe they like an in charge owner who will give them firm direction.
As mentioned get a Dobie if you are committed to interacting and training a very smart purebred dog. Do not get a Dobie to improve your image, esteem or status.
Dobie's are fine for camping because they are smart and trainable.
I have owned Doberman's for the last 15 years and would not consider any other breed.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Code2High wrote:

As the owner of a Lesser American Toodle I think you should be careful what you ask for. Dealing with a coat that confused can be extremely challenging.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Dobies: the ones I have encountered in life are all over-achievers. Trained to the point of being Canine Einsteins. If you were hurt - they'd call 911 then perform CPR; and assist the surgeon afterward.....LOL!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on why you're leaning towards a Dobie. If you think that this dog will make you look like a Bad A**, you will be mistaken. However, if you are attracked to the dog's personality traits, and you have researched the pros and cons-fine. I think a well-bred Dobie, with an experienced owner, can be a great dog.
BTW: Dogs that, lick people too much, nip, bark too much, rub their toys on you, nudge your hand to get you to pet them, or engage in any behavior's that are not welcome, are RUNNING the show. The dog's owner, should dictate which behavior is appropriate.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Had two Dobies over the years. Both really mush-heads. Slurped everyone they came in contact with. Now our Schnauzers, on the other hand -- nippers, unfortunately.

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
Jayco23FB wrote:

My wife has joked with me saying we should cross them with a standard poodle and call them doberdoddles.

๐Ÿ™‚ As long as it is a joke. Designer dogs in my opinion are muts that naive people pay ridiculous prices for.

Ya but they have a lot less health problems that the "pure" breeds do.

JKaz
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu