cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dog food for old dog

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
What he seems to like, (15 year old lab mix) and will eat the whole bowl of wet dog food down, if it is topped with a raw egg. ( which he would not prior to this)

Yes, I read the pros and cons of the raw egg thing, but end of the day if it gets my old buddy to eat well, I will take the risk of salmonella.

What do you think Dr doug
29 REPLIES 29

dturm
CDC Recent Pig's Ear Recall wrote:
Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Dogs can and do get sick with Salmonella. You, your kids, other animals and friends are at risk also. Treating salmonella risk as a dog only issue is a little short sighted, IMO

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put my Shitzus on a home made diet several months ago and so happy I did, both seniors. I have heard the dangers of salmonella so I scramble a couple of eggs and ad it to the mix every 4th day rather than raw. Chances of a dog getting salmonella likely pretty low though.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reduce the protein for older dogs.
We have a 16 year old Corgie running around. Their average life expectancy is 12 years.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a senior with some health problems, and little appetite awhile back. I thought that dogs are so scent oriented perhaps a few seconds in the microwave might make wet food more appealing. It worked.
Larry

DilanYah
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 9 y.o. Cocker Spaniel who is eating the Kirkland Adult Lamb/Rice right now. I was skirting https://goodpuppyfood.com/diets/best-dog-food-for-senior-dogs/https://goodpuppyfood.com/diets/best-dog-food-for-senior-dogs/ when I saw that Merrick Lil' Plates Senior Dog Food is rated quite a bit higher and has a better meat/grain balance (the lamb/rice is pretty grain heavy), but is technically a senior dog food. I wouldn't quite consider mine a senior yet - she has no issues getting around and has not slowed down at all, clean bill of health from the vet every year, etc.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs eat raw eggs; the whole egg.
Our dogs eat hard boiled eggs.
Our BJ (diagnosed with multiple tumors in liver and pancreas) will some days only eat eggs; she prefers hard boiled. We feed her whatever she is willing to eat (kibble, canned dog food, canned cat food, eggs, etc).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of quality dog foods out now. We feed our dogs a lot of meat. As they age, their kidney and liver function often declines. That means you should feed less protein.

I had a stock dog that developed some problems at age 12. The vet had no advice. I read up on it and changed to some high quality dog food made for senior dogs. She lived another 3 years to 15.

My last Border Collie went backpacking with me at 16. The vet said she had bad liver function but gave no advice. I gave her the same supplements from a health food store that I would give to a human. Her diet was reduced to cottage cheese, canola oil, rice and few other things at the end, but she lived 2 years past what the vet gave her for life expectancy.

dturm
Pawz4me wrote:
If it's truly a case of an elderly or ill dog eating versus not eating, then I'd opt for eating every time. If he finds a lightly cooked (maybe poached?) egg just as appetizing then that's the safe thing to do, though. Beyond any risk of salmonella for the dog -- do think about the humans in the house. If anyone has serious health issues or is immuno compromised (including being treated/medicated for cancer or auto-immune illnesses) then there's perhaps more risk to the humans than to the dog.

Listen to this.

Salmonella is a real risk to both dogs and people. Salmonella can be found both on the egg and within the egg itself. During development in the chicken a salmonella infected individual will contaminate all components from the actual egg to the shell.

If your egg supplier is reputable, well run, honest and always opts for public health rather than the bottom line, or the eggs are "pasturized" then you're risk is less.

The perceived benefits of raw vs cooked are not worth the risk IMO.
Feeding of an egg is a good plan, good protein and dogs love them.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
If it's truly a case of an elderly or ill dog eating versus not eating, then I'd opt for eating every time. If he finds a lightly cooked (maybe poached?) egg just as appetizing then that's the safe thing to do, though. Beyond any risk of salmonella for the dog -- do think about the humans in the house. If anyone has serious health issues or is immuno compromised (including being treated/medicated for cancer or auto-immune illnesses) then there's perhaps more risk to the humans than to the dog.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
A raw egg has minimal (actually probably no) risk to your pup.

Google the BARF raw food diet. My dogs have been on it for 3 years now, and are healthier in numerous ways.

They each get a raw egg every morning.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
At 15 he should be able to have whatever he wants.

Yep, I agree, I am down with that. Just don't tell him, or he will get all uppity and demanding

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 15 he should be able to have whatever he wants.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I just cook an extra egg for our Lhasa who is past 13, now and beginning to slow down a bit. He loves a cooked egg. he eats his dry dog food, too, and cooked chicken and canned dog food.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Mom fed our dog a raw egg with bread, lots of protein and he loved it. When he died at 14 his coat was still healthy. Go for it. Why would salmonella be a risk with fresh egg?

Apparently, from my understanding raw eggs do, present a risk of salmonella. But on the other hand they seem to make his meals very appetizing to him. which was not happening before.

So dog that won't eat, VS one that will. I think I will take the risk

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mom fed our dog a raw egg with bread, lots of protein and he loved it. When he died at 14 his coat was still healthy. Go for it. Why would salmonella be a risk with fresh egg?