cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog or Pets in Motorhomes

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
We do not have a MH yet but will be getting one as soon as I have time from home and yard fix up this year.

We have two dogs that we love very much. One of the reasons we want a MH is so we can take them with us when we travel for an extended time. Here it costs about $50.00 a day to keep your dogs in a kennel and then when you get them home they have been sickly for a time. So having them with us seems like a good idea. Questions: 1. Do you take your pets with you on long trips? 2-Do you leave your pets in the MH when you leave the camping area? 3-Do you let them have the run of the MH while you are gone and do they damage anything?

Your general thoughts and comments on the subject would be helpful Thanks
2009 Four Winds Majestic 28A
29 REPLIES 29

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
The only time we leave ours is like on a cruise or if we are going to be flying overseas for a couple of weeks. Other wise he goes too.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
We took our Lab all the way from Florida to Alaska and back with no problems. She loved the trip. She sat up front with us watching for moose, bears and other critters crossing the road. She would get all excited when something crossed the road. We left her inside loose with no problems. She was never a problem when left alone at home either. If your dogs tend to get mischievous when left alone at home they probably will do the same in the motorhome.

We always left the air on, running the generator if necessary, like when shopping or stopped at some attraction for an hour or so. She would sit in the driver's seat and watch everyone passing by and seemed to be entertained by the activity.

She traveled to 42 states and 3 Canadian provinces. She was a good traveler. We would never have thought of leaving her home. Take extra old towels or rugs for the muddy places. I used to wipe her feet before she came inside on those nasty days.

She is gone now. We had to put her down in December. With her being with us on those trips we have many wonderful memories of her that will last the rest of our lives. She was a great dog.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Our dog was jail trained when we got him. Worse treatment our dog ever got. Once we threw the jail away, let him have run of the MH all turned out OK. We turn on animal planet on TV. Our dog will lay and watch it. :B I always check with neighbor RVers to find out if our dog was barking. Once we threw the jail away no more barking. I agree with previou post. Long walks before and after leaving your dog.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
w3ozwizard wrote:
We do not have a MH yet but will be getting one as soon as I have time from home and yard fix up this year.

We have two dogs that we love very much. One of the reasons we want a MH is so we can take them with us when we travel for an extended time. Here it costs about $50.00 a day to keep your dogs in a kennel and then when you get them home they have been sickly for a time. So having them with us seems like a good idea. Questions: 1. Do you take your pets with you on long trips? YES2-Do you leave your pets in the MH when you leave the camping area? YES, with vents open or AC on if it's hot out. We try not to be gone more than 4 hours. 3-Do you let them have the run of the MH while you are gone and do they damaged anything? He has run of the house, & has never damaged anything, except one of his toys.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We take out Chow/Rot mix with us. He loves to travel and have no issues. Our new fiver has a couch just for him and that's where he sleeps and stays while were gone, even has a big window he can look out. Has never chewed anything and stays quiet.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not a C, but we always take our Golden with us on trips, never stays in a kennel. She is very comfortable riding in the back seat of the truck and would not be happy with us at all if we left her behind.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
chilly123 wrote:
The wife and I used to take our dog with us every time we went out. Our dog loved riding with us. Yes we would leave ours in the rig, with a/c on in hot days. Our dog always looked forward to our excursions on the road and on the trails. Training is key here.

X2

When we cannot we kennel Sparky but only for a shortest time possible. He is always tired after his stay... I think they stay up all not partying. You know like kids. The cost is only $18 a day so not bad financially. Anyway taking him in the motorhome he has his own chair to set in and you cannot pull the motorhome in front of the house with out him getting all excited. Buy one that fits your needs and travel on....
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

chilly123
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I used to take our dog with us every time we went out. Our dog loved riding with us. Yes we would leave ours in the rig, with a/c on in hot days. Our dog always looked forward to our excursions on the road and on the trails. Training is key here.

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
Bob states something you need to understand. The RV is not like a stick house. There are times you have to give up a group tour or a fun hike.
I leave my dogs for short trips and if we are on shore power longer trips with the AC running. But if I happen to be in a campground with no hookups, like a National Park, and the temp is above 85 by mid morning I do not leave the dogs alone for more than a half hour to an hour and that with windows open and fans running. The inside temp has never exceeded the outside under those conditions so I am comfortable with that. I am not comfortable with leaving them with a generator running so they have AC. To many things could go wrong. Even with windows open and fans running the inside can get dangerous in full sun on a hot day.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a "tense" dog (that's what I call them) that gets frantic when you're gone, then you'll have problems.
As for pets in the rig....we have 2 cats. They ARE different than a dog (they don't bark). We don't have to worry about them. We, too, leave the A/C on. They have the run of the place just as if we were in a stick home (it IS our home -- fulltimers). We've been traveling with them for 9 yrs. They ride in the 5er (I know...some people think this is horrible) because they get car sick in the car and I won't drug them. They sleep in our bed and are happy cats.

As for my thoughts. I've debated getting a dog. Have always had a dog except for last 15 yrs. I watch people having to walk their dogs in the rain, having to be out at night to walk their dogs, having to run back from a tourist attraction because they need to let the dog out and I've decided to not get a dog.
If I HAD a dog when we started camping, I'd KEEP the dog with me and NOT put it in a kennel. The best of kennels can't make most animals happy, in my opinion. would YOU want to be caged up like that?????
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
w3ozwizard wrote:
Questions: 1. Do you take your pets with you on long trips?

We have no choice as we full time RV.

2-Do you leave your pets in the MH when you leave the camping area?
Yes we do. If it is hot, we advise campground management and leave our cell phone number and request a call if the power goes out. (Never happened though)

3-Do you let them have the run of the MH while you are gone and do they damage anything?

Yes. But I would advise crate training and starting out with the dog in a properly sized crate.

By the way, our dogs have peed in more states than most people will see in a lifetime.:B
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we camp with the dogs. Like you we wanted to take the dogs with us. Had similar issues with boarding at kennels and with the cost to have someone care for them while we are gone. The dogs love the RV. We pull the shades and close off the back room of the Mid Bath (see LD floor plans) so they don't bark at people and critters going near by. Both our dogs (poodles) and the visitor pictured are fine in crates so crate training is a big plus. There are more tips on dog RVing with dogs in the pet section.

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 dogs and take them every time.
Yes, We take them on long trips.
Yes we leave them in the MH when we leave the camping area.
Yes We let them have the run of the MH. Never had any damage or accidents.
In warm weather we do use a temperature alarm in the MH linked to a cellphone if their is a problem with the MH AC system or power failure. Im also thinking about getting a Onan EC-30W Generator autostart.

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
We also bought our first motorhome, in 1991, so we could take our dogs with us.
We always stay in campgrounds with full hookups.
We leave the air conditioner, or fan on for their comfort, but also to help with keeping them from hear noise from the outside.

Our main concern was that we didn't want them barking while we were gone.
We had camping neighbors tell us the dogs were quiet until they heard our car pull up.
so we made sure we got into the motorhome fast to quiet the dogs, then we went back to unpack groceries, etc. One of these neighbors worked for the campground, so think if there was a problem, she would have let us know.

They never chewed or destoyed anything, they mostly slept. (we recorded them a few times).
We would take them for long walks before we left to tire them out. I really think that was key.

The longest we'd be gone was 5 hours, but usually much shorter than that.

Some of these trips were short, 2 or 3 weeks.
We did snowbird for 4 or 5 months for a few years.
Never had a problem

We're still taking them with us.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We were faced with the same problem when we had our golden retriever, after we'd bring home from the kennel she just slept for several days and didn't eat much; this was from a well respected kennel that walks the dog, etc. Think you're paying too much though, our cost was $15 per day. We took her with us when we could and that wasn't any problem for the most part. An option is to have somebody come to your house once/twice a day and stay with your dogs, walk with them, feed, etc. It would have to be somebody who already knows the dogs, maybe a son or daughter of friends of yours. A good chance for them to earn money and also do other things such as watering your plants or mowing the lawn.