cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog? Poop - or NOT

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to start anything! But I had to laugh.

Last week while camping I noticed a poop in the ditch right in front of our trailer. I quickly got a bag to pick it up, muttering under my breath about people not picking up. When I did pick it up it was immediately apparent that it was from no dog... unless that dog was fed a diet rich with seeds, berries, and other wild things! It must have been a racoon.

FWIW - in the 8 years that we've been camping (over 400 nights), I've seen only a few dog poops that weren't picked up.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal
24 REPLIES 24

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
At one campground our female dog squatted. Across the road, a woman squealed out from her campsite, "He's poooooooooooing!".

DH called back, "She's peeeeeeing!".
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Riding my bike I see where homeowners are throwing poop from their yards out in the street. Jerks........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was hiking with a co-worker not too long ago. We were on a trail that was no dogs allowed and actively enforced. As we were hiking, she started complaining about all the dog poop on the trail. She kept going on and on about it as we hiked, blaming dog owners the world over for the mess. Finally, I pointed out that it wasn't dog poop but deer poop.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
or the creature is pissed off that their carefully composed and placed message to everyone was removed.

ROFL!!! That, too! Both of my dogs are famous for dropping a pile, then turning around to admire such artfulness..... (rolling my eyes)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

6845ct
Explorer
Explorer
I clean up the yard of different poos, doggies, bear, cat and deer every day and do the same when we are out camping. Never realized coyote is the same as bear. We do have coyote in the area. I clean it up so we don't step in it....YUCK!!! As for the doggy owners that don't pick up after their doggies....shame on you. Karma!!!

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
I'd better keep an eye out over my shoulder!
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
lasparrot wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Somewhere in the woods, a creature is pointing and laughing, telling his buddy "Can you believe the human SAVED that???"

🙂
or the creature is pissed off that their carefully composed and placed message to everyone was removed.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
could be coyote, perhaps a tad big, but whose to say that they always poop the same size! The park has lots of wildlife (most likely no bears), I would be surprised if there were NO coyotes. Thanks, this has been interesting... and I'll be more careful if I have to go out in the middle of the night!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I see fox scat on our property all the time and it has berries in it.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
less formed like these?

Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
it was a less formed stool and broke apart as I picked it up, revealing seeds and other vegetation. There wasn't that meat-eating consistency, although with a coyote this time of year it might no surprise. I'm thinking a racoon is most likely.

This scat site describes various scat. It sounds like either a bear (unlikely) or a racoon (more likely).

Some of my city friends would be laughing as our place was once called 'Laura's House of Poo' - with 11 horses, 11 parrots, 3 dogs and 2 cats I was always cleaning something up!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
What about a different species of canine:

Source: Beartracker’s Animal Tracks Den
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Ya know, we haven't had a good "dog poop" topic in quite a while! I hope this one remains as entertaining as most of the rest. :C

FWIW, we use plastic grocery sacks. In order to conserve, I often "double dip", as we have two poopers. I have become quite proficient at the "inside out / outside in" maneuver.:C

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

NashTT
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved:

"The opposite of Progress is Congress"
2013 Nash 23F
2008 Doge Big Horn Hemi Quad Cab 3.92
Reese 1000 bars-Prodigy Brake control