cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duncan has bilateral luxated patellas

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We knew Duncan had one luxated patella, but now both knees slip. It's now so bad that he walks like a cowboy in the rear and a bulldog in the front. He's developed a bad limp in the front left leg and is having a lot of pain. He loves to run and play and he can't. He snaps and clicks with any quick movement.

BTW, he's a Cavalier King Charles spaniel (you probably know that). He's very large boned for the breed and we're keeping his weight down. He weighs 22 lbs. The vet said today he should have surgery to correct the luxation because that's what's causing the limp.

We have a consulting appointment with the orthopod on Thursday. I hope this will fix his problem.

I know that CatandJim had a thread started about the same issue. It was very helpful.

He's such a darling it makes me want to cry knowing now that his knees are so bad. Please send good thoughts his way.

Thanks for listening.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
11 REPLIES 11

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry to hear about Duncan's knees! Our last toy poodle, Potsie, had grade 4 luxating patellas (one was actually a 3.5). The one popped back out everytime the vet tried to put it back in. The amazing thing was that the dog never went lame, although he did get the characteristic bow-legged look in the back; he never even started skipping when running! I gave him Cosequin DS plus MSM and fish oil daily. The vet was totally confounded, as Potsie should have needed surgery, like your Duncan. She told me to keep doing what I was doing since it was working. I also had to keep him very slender, to avoid putting more stress on the knees. Sadly, it was a ruptured disc in his back that did him in eventually.

Prayers for a successful surgery! Please keep us updated.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
Duncan will feel so much better after he gets those knees fixed...I injured my knee here in Ecuador and can empathize completely with him..no fun for sure !

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prayers for a speedy recovery for Duncan!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:

Duncan is having surgery on Monday morning. He has a grade III/IV luxation. He seems to be having more pain. He doesn't need the left side done...yet...possibly a couple of years.

It's his right leg which is also the side where his hip socket is malformed. His femur head doesn't fit into the socket. That may need a repair in the future. UGH!!!
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

suzmax
Explorer
Explorer
Aw darn it! I'm glad you're getting him the help he needs. He'll be good as new in no time. I have a friend who had a Golden that's ACL tore. The poor thing quit using that leg. She said, "It doesn't bother him. He just doesn't use it." What??? It bothers him a lot...that's why he doesn't use that leg! Bostons are notorious for luxating patellas too.

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
It must be a cav thing. He will only go on the perimeter of the yard, not in the middle. We have a huge yard. Luckily, the temps are getting better.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
When our Cav. had his, I had to take him out 6-8 times a day/night and walk him around to do his business. The first few days, he went very close to the patio, did his stuff, and was ready to come back in.

After the first few, then he was feeling better and 6-8 times a day/night we did it again BUT then he had to walk the perimeter of our backyard along the fence first! That was aggravating since it was Nov/Dec with cold and snow but he was just glad to be outside and ABLE to walk his patrol.

Bare with him, he will be fine.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing worse than a pet that is in pain. They are actually family, at least ours are. My prayers will go out for him...
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
IDman, thanks for that. It's encouraging. Duncan sleeps in his kennel at night (his choice). The hardest part will be getting him to go potty in a timely fashion. He has to what we call "read the paper". It takes a while no matter the weather.
Also having him wait to be lifted off the couch without jumping. I guess it's time for some training.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Our Cavalier had one three years ago and it went very well. Dogs are much more resilient than we think and they figure out how to walk, pee, etc.

You will probably have to keep him on a short leash for 4-5 weeks, including at night when sleeping. We had ours on a leash which was wrapped around my wife's hand in case he wanted off the bed during the night.

It worked out well but is tougher on us than on the dogs!

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Awh, Geez, all the positive thoughts coming your way, that the DOC's can relieve him of the pain in his leg/s!

Pops n' Calvin