cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
How about Gingembre and Noir?
Ingvers and Melna?
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've temporarily settled on Czarny and Rudy. That's Polish for black and ginger-haired. If they ever come out of hiding and decide to hang out with us, the names may change, but these will do for now.

So why Polish? We don't speak it, but of all the languages we do speak, none had words for black and ginger that "sang."

I took Mom to one of her doctors, then around the city for various stuff, so that meant driving over 100 miles today. One of the ladies at the independent living place shared her cheesecake recipe with me; it does look good. Then I went to the pet store and picked up a couple of kitty beds, since that's what they grew up sleeping in, a couple small bags of grain-free kitten food, a few cans of grain-free kitten gooshy food, and some toys. Kittens need their own stuff, not hand me downs as old and worn out as we had.

When I got home, the boys had been exploring a little, but hid when I walked in the door. Someone peed on the door mat, so they clearly haven't figured out the Litter Robot yet. I did find Rudy "hiding" in the hall bathroom. He had his head stuck under the sink cabinet, with his entire body out in the open. Pulled him out and held him for a bit, until he calmed a little, then let him run off to hide somewhere else. At present, they are both behind the washer/dryer. I do hope they come out before we take them to the vet for a checkup on Tuesday.

Been a long day. Sleepy time. Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
I'll let y'all brainstorm names, but did want to offer my congratulations and thank you for adopting!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herself has some suggestions.

Romulus and Remus

Sherlock and Watson (she liked that one too).

Jethro and Leon (NCIS)

Wilbur and Orville (the Wright bros.)

George and Ira (Gershwin)

Odin and Thor
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
I like Ben and Jerry, congrats on the new additions.

Hash and Tag made me laugh out loud :B

They could have their own Twitter account :B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

dturm
I like Ben and Jerry, congrats on the new additions.

Hash and Tag made me laugh out loud :B
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusfide wrote:
I'm so glad you rescued them. Spotacus the Mighty would be too.
What about:

Inigo (Montoya) and Fezzik (Princess Bride)

Butter (the ginger) and Jam (he's so affectionate he sticks to you)

Cisco (Kid) and Pancho

Picard and Riker

Don Quixote and Sancho Panza (if one was a girl she could be Dulcinea)

Franken and Stein

Fred (Astaire) and Gene (Kelly)

(Lone) Ranger and Tonto

My fave would be Walt (Longmire) and Henry (Standing Bear) - because they're brothers

Being in Texas my ideas are running to Westerns. If one had been a girl I would have gone with Marshall Dillon and Miss Kitty:C I can see you "face palming" and saying "stop it - just STOP. IT!

One more
Sherlock and Watson
Perfect.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm so glad you rescued them. Spotacus the Mighty would be too.
What about:

Inigo (Montoya) and Fezzik (Princess Bride)

Butter (the ginger) and Jam (he's so affectionate he sticks to you)

Cisco (Kid) and Pancho

Picard and Riker

Don Quixote and Sancho Panza (if one was a girl she could be Dulcinea)

Franken and Stein

Fred (Astaire) and Gene (Kelly)

(Lone) Ranger and Tonto

My fave would be Walt (Longmire) and Henry (Standing Bear) - because they're brothers

Being in Texas my ideas are running to Westerns. If one had been a girl I would have gone with Marshall Dillon and Miss Kitty:C I can see you "face palming" and saying "stop it - just STOP. IT!

Magnus

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Bojack and Mr. Peanut Butter (or Bojack and Todd) from Bojack Horseman.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
:B

Abbott and Costello (nope)
Crosby and Hope (on the road...)
Ricky and David (the Nelsons)
Bing and Frank (Crosby and Sinatra)
Don and Phil (Everly Brothers)
Peter and Gordon (1960s Brit singing duo)
Herman and Hermit (good grief)

I did warn things would get silly...

Czarny, black cat

Stephany
Explorer
Explorer
How about Skully and Mulder (X-Files)?
Laurel & Hardy?
Abbot & Costello?
Hall & Oats?
Tom & Jerry?
Fred & Barney (Flintstones)?
Martin & Lewis (as in Dean and Jerry)
Rum & Coke?

I could go on! Duo names are a lot more fun than a single name!

Oh just one more....how about Arrr and Vee? Tee Hee!

Stephany
Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 grown kids, a ball-obsessed beagle, and a camping cat
2004 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
The house feels so much better. The shelter had a pair of six-month-old brothers they wanted to keep together. So we did.

The black one was very affectionate at the shelter; the ginger is very shy. At the moment, the black one is "hiding" in a corner; the ginger is hiding in a carrier. They'll be fine...

The new shelter manager used to work as a vet tech at our vet, so when I walked in, she knew immediately that Spotacus was gone and I was there to adopt. We did not have to go through the full adoption nut roll, because she knew how we care for our cats. We also got 50% off the adoption fee by taking the bonded pair. Good deal all the way around.

The family is coming up with names. :R

Some examples:
Legolas and Strider (Lord of the Rings)
Vladimir and Estragon (Waiting for Godot)
Kirk and Spock (Star Trek)
Scotty and McCoy (Star Trek)
Hash and Tag (no. just no.)
Tyrian and Tywin (Game of Thrones)
Jamie and Ian (Outlander)
Barnaby and Troy (Midsomer Murders)
Wurst and Fest (local celebration, but no)

Things will get silly before we find the right names.

Czarny, black cat

LastOfTheBohica
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't posted on RV.Net in a very long time.

But I remember reading Spotacus's story from the very beginning.

Pets give us thousands of good days, and one really bad day. Prayers for you on your really bad day.
Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I ordered his stone, same kind as Alex'. One day I'll order stones for the other three kitties buried there. Our little cat cemetery is looking like a nice place, now that we've mowed around it and trimmed the lower branches of the live oak there. I'm thinking a nice bench is in order, so it can be a place of meditation and wildlife observation. Maybe. One day.

Tall Friend needs our help to unload. WLToo went over; I waited for new kitchen light fixtures to be delivered. They just arrived, so I'm off to help Tall Friend. Good. The atmosphere in the house is just too quiet and empty feeling. I wanted to hold off a few days before searching for new kitties, but since I'll be driving past the local shelter, think I'll pop in and see if I can meet some kitties before filling out adoption paperwork.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spotacus the Mighty is waiting for you at the Bridge along with Alexander and the rest. We too are shedding tears as we feel we know him oh so well through your writings.

In grief and tears we are with you; thank you for adopting more.

Magnus