cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our community band played our last concert for the year on Friday. Wind made it really cold, so the little festival wasn't going well. We ended the concert early; so did the vendors.

Got an inch of rain this morning. Now we're only 13" below normal...

Had to take Czarny to the vet. He has a minor UTI. We've never given him meds before; this will be interesting when we get started tonight. When I got out his carrier, I realized we've given away or buried with the cat all the little binkies. An old towel just doesn't cut it for a carrier pad. So I'm crocheting one for him out of old yarn. He likes all the crocheted afghans; why not make a little one just his carrier's size?

Supper time. Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
SUs meds are probably affecting his taste. We're getting more than enough rain. Frankly tired of it.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Served up some Rumtopf over ice cream last night. SU thought it tasted a little bitter, but Short Friend and I liked it just fine. I think I might put some in canning jars and gift it.

It's so foggy today that we can barely see the garden shed roof or the windmill, which are reasonably close to the house. Can't see the gate at all. Did manage another .01" of rain overnight, so now the year's rain deficit is "only" 14" below average.

Because it's so damp outside, Czarny's decided twice out there is enough. He's napping with SU.

A buck came by for a drink the other day. He had one 3 point antler and one spike. Not ever gonna have a trophy rack, but otherwise was a fine looking buck.

Time to get moving. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm glad SU is doing so much better. Good for him! It's okay to keep the Christmas decor simple. That's what I keep telling herself but she doesn't always see it that way.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
SU hasn't asked me to rub anything onto his radiation burns, so I guess he's happy with the healing.

He's moving around without the walker a lot more. In fact, it's sitting in a corner with his rain jacket dangling off it. We've been damp for a week or so, not actually rainy, just damp -- we'll take that. Now we're back in air conditioning and wearing shorts. I love it here...

Czarny hasn't come to bed with us the last couple of nights. He shows up later, SU tells me. I slept through it, for a nice change. He's spending a lot of time out on the porch, sleeping in a chair or sitting on the railing and surveying his empire. Yesterday, he walked down to the mailbox with me; well, almost -- he stopped about ? of the way down and waited. The doe herd was on the other side of the fence, eyeing him, so I walked back to him quickly, then we strolled back up the hill. Every few steps, I had to stop, scratch the base of his tail, resume walking, repeat. Makes for a long stroll, but it's nice to have the company.

SU walked out to the garage, did something out there, and came back, then took a nap. I think it's great progress for him. He's also stopped one of the pain meds; it was for muscle spasms, which he's not had since the last surgery.

Meanwhile, we're still working on developing some Christmas cheer. We've managed to get the "Merry Christmas" sign out of the garage. Next, I'll go find the zip ties, and then walk it down to the gate and attach it. Will add some electric candles in the windows, on timers, and maybe pull out a couple more decorations. Still not sure if we'll pull out a Christmas tree or not; if so, it will be the little one. I'm not planning on doing his part of the big tree tradition (putting it together)...

At least the stollen and Rumtopf are already made and aging in the pantry.

Czarny, black cat

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
When my husband had radiation burns, emu oil worked wonders. From dark brown to pink in a couple days and regular in a week.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear SU is not giving up. Sorry to hear about Tall Friend. It’s hard but I hope you all keep trying to find something that will get him going again. Sometimes it does click in.

Our deep fried turkeys are nothing but bones in the freezer to make stock later. We had no leftovers not even mashed potatoes to make potato pancakes. Had to dig into my emergency stash of Cousin Ts pancake mix to make breakfast the next day. The pantry was bare like Mother Hubbard’s. Waited until today to go to the store for restock. There was no way we were going on Black Friday. News said cars were lined up out to the street to get into parking lots yesterday. Today was back to normal. 300+ later and pantry is restocked. There’s another couple of supply trips but the haggis for Hogmanay is ordered and will arrive on time.

Czarny’s a smart cat. He knows when to stay in. Looks like we have some storms headed our way.

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have a few leftovers, but only one meal's worth. It's warming back up, so I don't think soup or stew is in the offing just yet. Guess I'll pull out the pork tamales for Sunday.

On Tuesday, SU will have what we hope is the last kyphoplasty on his spine. He's lost so much weight that he's decided he needs to eat more, and more often. I'm delighted that he's taking an active role in his recovery, unlike Tall Friend, who's just given up.

We had a few minutes of very heavy rain and dime sized hail early this morning. Czarny was sleeping between our pillows. I knew there was nothing to do, so I didn't open my eyes. But SU said Czarny's eyes grew huge as soon as the hail hit the window by the bed, and slowly backed underneath the bed covers.

He's turning out to be much like Spotacus when it comes to being outside in the rain. Unlike Spotacus, though, his fur doesn't shed the water, but mats down. He's not that fond of being toweled off, but I'm not happy with Czarny drying himself off on my clothes...

Beautful sunny day today, albiet rather windy. Czarny is playing kitty on the wrong side of the house, looking for that non-windy patch of sun. On this hillside, non-windy is an illusion...

Think I'll do some more crocheting now. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Magnus

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, the rash is partly cleared, but one part is still giving him fits. Ordered the colloidal silver for delivery Saturday. We make it a point to go absolutely nowhere on the day after Thanksgiving -- it's beyond crazy out there.

Got the pinto beans cooked yesterday. Now they're coming to room temperature before I heat them up. Fog is so thick I can barely see my garden shed roof about 50 feet away. Hope everyone gets here safely.

Czarny has decided he doesn't care if it's wet outside. As long as it's reasonably warm, he wants to be out there. It's very foggy and wet, but in the 60s, so I turned off the heater and opened a couple of doors, so Czarny can play kitty on the wrong side of the house without us having to open doors for him.

All in all, today is looking pretty nice, fog notwithstanding. Hope y'all have a happy Thanksgiving.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
WL, prayers for you and SU. Great idea, no-fuss Thanksgiving and Christmas Mess. Hope SUs rash clears quickly.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Magnus

Stephany
Explorer
Explorer
Love your "No Stress" ideas for holidays! There's only 5 of us for dinner this year, so I am going to pare back too.

I hope the rash passes soon. At the risk of being too out there, colloidal silver is amazing for skin issues/rashes and it plays well with other meds. You can find it at Walmart or a vitamin shop. Just spray it on the rash several times a day.

We had to turn our heat on early in Seattle too this year. My roses' hips are saying it is going to be a cold winter.

I hope you have a very good Thanksgiving!

Stephany
Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 grown kids, a ball-obsessed beagle, and a camping cat
2004 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
SU finished his radiation on Tuesday. Now we're treating the skin rash, which should clear up within a couple weeks.

Managed to get my driver's license renewed yesterday, in spite of their system trying to lock up and stop working. One less stressor.

Sister's contractor reported that Mom's bathroom won't be finished until about 14 Dec, due to backorders. That means Mom stays with Brother at least a couple weeks longer, and he's having a fit (now he knows what caregiving really entails, and neither sister is sympathetic...). I do need to move more of Mom's medical appointments, but that's easy to do from the comfort of my recliner.

Thanksgiving will be a no stress dinner. Sister's Friend is smoking brisket, Short Friend is doing her aunt's famous mincemeat tarts (amazingly delicious), Sister is making potato salad and cornbread, and I'm cooking up two big pots of pinto beans.

Until this year, I never realized how much stress Sister puts on herself at Thanksgiving. Think I'll come up with a no stress Christmas, too. I'm thinking about ordering Schlotzky's sandwiches again. That went over really well a few years ago. Add a nice soup and a berry cobbler, and we have good food with little effort.

Weather turned chilly, about 15 degrees below normal. Actually had to turn on the heat (we don't normally have it on this early), as SU is feeling the cold. Apparently, so is Czarny. He's crawling under every blanket or throw he finds. If the wind isn't blowing and it's sunny, he likes being outside, but that's not the case today, so he's under the bedcovers.

The doe herd is hanging out in our meadow again -- it's safe from poachers. Even have a couple of very nice looking bucks coming through twice a day. Nice to have them back.

SU's pain management telemedicine is coming up. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dturm
After your post I looked up and my next license renewal REQUIRES and in person renewal due to age. I guess that's better than an auto shut down date.

I hope they find a method to eliminate the nausea/vomiting with the radiation treatments. We'll be thinking about you both.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older we get... :w

Magnus