cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
*snip*The hummingbird feeder is being attacked by some kind of large bird. It pulls the mesh inserts out, throws them on the ground, then sticks its bill inside to drink. The hummers are outraged.

A few years ago we had a larger bird (can't remember what type) that would come to our hummers' feeder and lick the grids, not being smart enough to pull them out for a faster flow. I'm not sure, but I think this might be the equivalent of a birdie alcoholic? Anyway, nobody we told even believed the story. It's nice to find "our people" on this forum. :W
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing the good results of cat scan!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Barb and the 4 chocolates
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't forget the rat snake, Gary... Although I draw the line at him being inside.

It took an hour and a half before the hummer got tired enough for me to catch it and release it back outside. Then I went out to get the happy gas and groceries, and found myself stuck behind drivers going 20 mph under the speed limits going into town and coming back. Not that I needed to be anywhere in a hurry, but why can't folks read the speed limit signs and come a little closer to that speed? Sheesh.

I desperately need a nap, and the floor still isn't steam mopped. I vote nap. Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you now have 3 pets: 2 cats and 1 deer. If you're not careful, MDL may wind up inside more than Spot :B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Good heavens! I am exhausted just reading about it!
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I slept just fine, even hearing Spot occasionally calling. Finally woke up a little after 0700, got up, opened the door, and got their breakfast. Spot strolled inside like nothing special had happened, ate a little of the gooshy food, then used the Litter Robot. Then he strolled back onto the porch and laid down.

I decided it was ok to sit down for a bit. Spot promptly climbed on me, tucked his head under my chin, and stayed a whole two minutes, before going into the bedroom and climbing up his cat tree for his usual morning nap. At least when he's asleep, he's not playing the tom cat game. After breakfast, I'll start steam cleaning the floors and everywhere he sprayed to get the Wee Cleaner off. No, I have to go get the happy gas and groceries first. Dang, now I'm tired again and haven't even started.

Mama Doe Lassie showed up about 20 minutes ago. She kept creeping closer and closer to the open door, and finally stuck her head inside and made that grumbling belchy sound. So even though we don't usually feed her in the morning, I did. Now I have to make a run to the feed store for more deer corn.

Two black chins were at the feeder, and one suddenly chased the other away. It flew inside the house, whacked the windows on the other side, and fell to the floor. Before either cat got there, it was up and flying. Right now, it's flying in circles near the ceiling and chirping, and I can't get its attention to get it to fly back out the door. I expect an exhausted bird soon, followed by a cat snack, unless I get to it before they do.

This day is proving exhausting, and it's barely started. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
What a day. The CT scan went fine, after which I finally found an excellent Korean restaurant and ate very well. Then I ran some errands, came home, and let the boys outside to enjoy a beautiful day.

Mama Doe Lassie stopped by for some corn and a little nuzzle (I do wish she'd stop that. Deer snot on my hand = ewww). That annoying bird threw all the hummingbird feeder inserts on the ground and drained the feeder. I cleaned it, refilled it, and had to contend with several hummers trying to feed while I was still hanging it. I hope that bigger bird moves on soon.

Saw Spot stalking the seal point cat several times today. No direct confrontations, so little did I expect what was to come later.

Since it was just me, I indulged in sweet potatoes for supper. However, my eyes were bigger than my stomach, so I had a few leftovers. Who should come wandering back up but MDL, so she got the leftovers. Even cooked, she likes sweet potatoes. We did not plant any this time; might do that next time.

Settled down to watch TV, when what should I hear but Spot on Alex' scratch pad. I knew immediately what Spot was going to do, grabbed the Wee Cleaner, yelled at Spot, and the chase began. He'd run to another spot, start to spray, I'd arrive yelling, and spray it with Wee Cleaner immediately, then dash off after Spot. At one point, I sprayed Spot with the Wee Cleaner instead of the water bottle, and that's when I lost it completely. I chased him outside, yelling to beat the band. He's never heard me yelling like a drill sergeant, so he knew he was in deep kimchee.

I put a little food out for him, and it's the kind of night he loves to be outside in, so he's staying out. I had an a-fib attack from all the excitement, and I need sleep. If he's inside, he'll be going around spraying all night, and I don't need that stress.

Starting tomorrow, a major re-training ensues. Luckily, the weather will be gorgeous, perfect for his thick fur -- not too hot, not too cold, so he'll be fine. We don't have coyotes or loose dogs, and I haven't seen a fox in nearly two years. I'll let him inside for meals, then watch him closely. Each time he acts inappropriately, he's outside. Until I get the Feliway or other happy gas, can't let him stay inside unsupervised, but I'll have to do that tomorrow, as we have a cold front coming in next week that will drop us into lows in the 40s. He could handle that, having survived colder temps making his way to us, but I don't like the idea that he may have to stay out very long.

Spot is stubborn, still with that tom cat attitude, but he knows for certain now that I am not even slightly happy with his behavior. Now we'll see if he understands the consequences.

First cat I've ever had to toss outside for my own health. Frustrating for both of us, but if I'm in a-fib all the way to my surgery next week, I can't re-train him. So he's on the porch loveseat and looks pretty happy at the moment.

Well, my throat hurts from yelling at him (I rarely yell, makes it hard to sing), the a-fib has calmed, and I'm drained. Time to sleep. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
BTW I'd slap a happy gas collar on that bad boy and see if it will mellow him out a little. Best to nip that behavior in the bud.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Oriole?
susan

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spot got the injection, and it cleared up his urine right off. He continued to squat all over the place, just not as often. However, some of his squatting seemed to be more of a dominance issue between him and WLToo. I say that because Spot would squat right where WLToo could see him, and be upset when WLToo chased him off whatever he was squatting on. Monday night, Spot peed on the clothes WLToo left on the bedside bench.

WLToo left a couple days ago to do some things for his mom. That night, he pulled WLToo's towel off the rack and peed on it. I put away all WLToo's shoes and clothes, and Spot is only squatting in his litter box, outside, or occasionally in our shower. Between WLToo not being here and the injection, Spot seems to be greatly improved.

That's a big cat, Hammerhead. Spot's down to 15.9 pounds, thanks largely to being able to go on really long patrols around our fence line.

Mama Doe Lassie tried to get me to feed her twice today. Hmmmp. Not happening. She even put her front legs just inside the door, before figuring out no more corn was forthcoming. We need a storm door there...

Harvested a bunch of icicle radishes. The radishes were small; the greens huge. Tomorrow night is sauteed radish greens, assuming I'm feeling up to cooking.

Having a CT scan tomorrow, in prep for a catheter ablation (to stop the a-fib) next week. The CT requires an IV of iodine solution, and my skin is a little iodine sensitive, so I've been pre-medicated with two antihistimines and a steroid, just in case.

The hummingbird feeder is being attacked by some kind of large bird. It pulls the mesh inserts out, throws them on the ground, then sticks its bill inside to drink. The hummers are outraged.

Which reminds me, time to refill it. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
We had a cat 20 years ago that looked just like this one. We thought he was an adult when we first adopted him and he kept on growing. He eventually got to a lean 26 lbs and was tall enough to stand with his hind paws on the floor and his head higher than the dinner table to see what we were eating.

dturm
Covenia - one injection every 2 weeks.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I've had better luck with capsules than pills (though pills are better than liquids!). I have been known to put a pill in an emptied capsule, coat the capsule with butter or oil, and give it that way. It goes down fast that way with at least two of mine.

Liquids are impossible and a straight pill gets mushy and wet. You can help that with a little oil or butter, but the capsule makes it easier yet. I've used capsules to give liquids a couple of times, but you have to be FAST.

There's convenia, which is a dream in terms of convenience, but I'm seeing a lot of talk about side effects, some fatal. That's a shame as it's just awesome for ferals or cats that are really tough to dose.

Sometimes it's easier to just go with an injectable.
susan

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's kitty piddle all over the place: Alex because he's old, and Spot because he has a nasty bladder infection. Good thing two gallons of Wee Cleaner arrived last week...

Unfortunately, Spot's not handling the antibiotic at all, so tomorrow I'll ask the vet for something else. Shoving a horse pill down his throat, followed by water, is a very painful process for both humans and Spot. I tried dissolving it in water, then squirting it into his mouth, and that was not successful, either. As much experience as we have with giving cats medication, this is really frustrating. He needs that medication.

Still just the one hummingbird, but more barn swallows are taking a look at our nests. Just one pair has stayed so far.

We have a new pet: a rat snake. WLToo came running into the house, saying there was a diamondback by the pool deck. But when I went out and looked, I saw a non-aggressive snake with no rattle, just watching for a chance to slip away. WLToo was under the misimpression that only poisonous snakes have arrow shaped heads, but when he looked at the photos of rat snakes, he realized that's what we have under the pool deck now. It's only the second snake we've seen since we got here nearly three years ago, and that first one was a bitty garter snake that we rescued from Alex.

Mama Doe Lassie's neck hair is falling off in clumps, making her look pretty ratty. We also don't think she's pregnant anymore, but we could be wrong. She's not showing like she did last month.

Have to water the cubanelle peppers every day. I didn't realize how much water they seem to want. Next time they get their own container, with a water reservoir.

Wow, it's kinda late. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the keyhole garden. Wish you luck with them, I now grow only in large nursery pots. No fighting Bermuda, and don't have to bend over, a plus when you have bad knees!