cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microchips

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
There was a recent thread talking about having ID on pets. People finding dogs sometimes remove a collar and will just keep a dog.
There's more out there than you think. I've seen it many, many times over the years, while doing rescue.

I've always used AVID microchips in all the rescues and my personal dogs. I paid to register the AVID chips in my name, and had no further fees after the initial registration.

I recently got a rescue, and he has two microchips. The breeder had a Home Again chip in him. Years later, he was in a shelter and they chipped him the second time with a 24 Pet Watch chip.

When I went to change ownership information --
Home Again charged me nothing to change the information.
They did suggest that I buy an $8 tag with his number on it because that did not come with him, but it was not required.

But the 24 Pet Watch that the shelter used -- charged me $18.95 for one year or $59.95 for a lifetime. I asked if they will contact me after one year, if I don't renew. I got a mealy mouthed response that they would try to contact me with the information they had. Did not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder
20 REPLIES 20

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Actually there have been reports of injection-site carcinoma (Founded or not? Obviously you'd know more about that.) Just saying...that could be one reason someone would want to unchip a pet.

But generally I agree with you that removal has more potential for harm than good. Thanks for bringing that up.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

dturm
WyoTraveler wrote:
JMHO. If the pet was mine I would have a vet remove the pound chip. We have a home again chip. The chip is only as good as how the pet was lost. Since people stealing pets could remove the chip. Our only hope is honest people find the pet.We bought a high quality tag with our phone # and home again phone #

Seems like it would be easy to remove, but unless there was an overwhelming reason, I'd never agree to do it. Having to retrieve bullets (for forensic reasons) or finding an object in a body is NEVER as easy as the movies and old cowboy shows seem to portray. You end up causing harm, tissue trauma, possibly introduce infection and cause PAIN. Just not an ethical procedure for any vet to do.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
One problem with pet ID chips is that there isn't a fully-centralized database yet, or at least there wasn't last year when we got adopted by a cat that was pre-chipped by a rescue.

When you take a pet to a vet or place that has a chip reader, all they get is a number. They can't tell if it's an AVID chip or a Pet Watch or SOB (although by the number they might be able to venture a guess.) Information isn't cross-referenced, so the vet tech or whomever has to check multiple vendor databases.

Having a chip is better than NOT having one. I just wish there was some sort of way to have all the information available from one source.

(Funny note: When you try to type "Pe****ch" without the space in between the words, the RV.net editor thinks you're typing a naughty word. How funny.)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many heartwarming stories on the news about pets that came home, thanks to a microchip, sometimes many years later. Recently there was one that the thief had taken the trouble to dye its coat! Apparently, some crematoriums also report the animal as deceased as I've seen that on some of our past dogs' Avid files.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO. If the pet was mine I would have a vet remove the pound chip. We have a home again chip. The chip is only as good as how the pet was lost. Since people stealing pets could remove the chip. Our only hope is honest people find the pet.We bought a high quality tag with our phone # and home again phone #

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We had a dog once we got from the animal shelter. Appeared to be a sweet dog (in the shelter). Got it home ... and what a creature! Emotionally co-dependent! and a terror if left alone. (which we had to do because of work).

The pooch escaped on us SEVERAL times! Each time, I said, .... "Finally we got rid of the dog!" But my wife really loved the dog. I did not "love" him at all...

Well, that darn chip in him! We never could get rid of him! He always came back! Always!

FYI, we kept him till he died. He did have a good home, and when he went blind, he didn't attempt to run off any more!