cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mikko is having a rough time ( God speed Mikko)

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mikko a Collie I adopted at 3.5 who will be 14 on 3-25-19. He has been having issues with his back legs for about two years. So far I been able to keep him mobile with medication. Today he can barely walk. I don't know if my younger Collie Cooper injured him or just natural progression. I will take him to the vet tomorrow to see if anything else can be done and give him a few days to see if it gets any better. On top of that I have to go in Thursday for a consultantion for gallbladder surgery.

I know the day is coming rapidly when I have to make the decision and it sucks.
33 REPLIES 33

dturm
Per Dan's request, this thread is closing. We all know how hard this loss is and continued reminders are also hard.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the kind words, I pick up Mikko's ashes today.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sad, We are so sorry Dan.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sad news. We're so sorry.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Dan and B C Snob (Mark) I am so sorry for both of you. It's been a while since I've had to face that situation, and I know I will have to face it again someday with Buttons, and it is never easy. You are compassionate and that quality is so admired in today's world. Sending hugs and healing thoughts to you and your families, both human and furry.

Rita

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
We hope your vet can find something to help Mikko. Even though we know the end will come sometime, out wishes and prayers are that it's far into the future.
Thanks, I'm greatful you have graciously donated your time to helping others with questions on the forum. When I described Mikko's actions to my vet he said it was a symptom of chronic pain and the final decision was made for Mikko. He said he could up the medication but it would be a extremely short reprieve. I did not want to put Mikko through anymore pain.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, I'm so so sorry over the loss of your beloved Mikko. You did the right thing. In spite of that, and having been there, it is not easy to accept this, but over time you will. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Just know that Mikko is healthy and running over the Rainbow Bridge.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
😞
Walter I couldn't have said it better myself.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
I am sorry for your loss; I feel your pain.

I had to let my Peg go 2 weeks ago (2 months shy of her 16th birthday). A week later we learned our BJ (12 yo daughter of Peg; mother of Lee & Grant) has multiple tumors in her liver and pancreas. All we can do now is make her comfortable, spoil her, and make the most of the time left.

So sorry for you too, Mark. The one thing for sure - our pets are skilled liars. "I'm OK, let's go camping" "Nah, that doesn't hurt" "What tumor?"
You are so correct Deb and Ed, Mikko was extremely Stoic.

This morning Cooper who usually greats each morning with tail wags and barking to celebrate the day was silent, although he did take over Mikko's bed in favor of his own.

Just like you, Cooper will be grieving while you each adjust you lives without Mikko.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scottiemom wrote:
So sorry Dan. I had to let my girlie go 2 weeks ago. Just picked up her ashes so she is back home with us now. I always second guess and think I could have done more, but my girlie was both blind and deaf and had not enjoyed life for at least six months.

We love them so much and it hurts so bad to let them go.

Prayers for you and Mikko.

Dale
I'm so sorry for your loss of girlie as well. As loving caring pet owners some times we have to put the needs of our pet above our own. I go to pick up the ashes today less the 24 hours.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
BCSnob wrote:

I had to let my Peg go 2 weeks ago (2 months shy of her 16th birthday). A week later we learned our BJ (12 yo daughter of Peg; mother of Lee & Grant) has multiple tumors in her liver and pancreas. All we can do now is make her comfortable, spoil her, and make the most of the time left.

So sorry for you too, Mark. The one thing for sure - our pets are skilled liars. "I'm OK, let's go camping" "Nah, that doesn't hurt" "What tumor?"
You are so correct Deb and Ed, Mikko was extremely Stoic.

This morning Cooper who usually greats each morning with tail wags and barking to celebrate the day was silent, although he did take over Mikko's bed in favor of his own.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
BCSnob wrote:

I know I'm not alone in people who have had to endure this. I told my sister yesterday over the phone that as time heals the hurt the good times will be remembered, not the brief bad time at the end. It sure seems empty right now without him. It is especially difficult when you lose pets in close proximity to each other, I'm so sorry about Peg and BJ. I've enjoyed reading your posts about them.

If the memories weren't so sweet the pain wouldn't be so bitter.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M