cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New dog flu going around

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Just at the vets office this morning for one of our kids scheduled shots.

The vet mentioned that there is a new strain of dog flu going around, for which they do not yet have a vaccine available.

He said mainly east of where we live in South Dakota has been the most reported outbreak.

The vet advised to not allow our dogs to be as sociable as previous, and to be sure to not allow them to drink out of the community type water dishes for pets found at say rest areas or dog parks.

In the not sociable comment, he did mention it would be best for the short term to stay separate from unknown pets, no nose taps or sniffing new friends for the time being.

And stay away from any dogs that are sneezing or exhibiting such signs of possibly having the flu.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!
10 REPLIES 10

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would re-post to bump this back up.

Latest news I read today indicates this is spreading, so one still needs to be aware.
RV'ing since 1991

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
chrisnpat wrote:
Mad Norsky, Im sorry I didn't mean to Hi-Jack your thread, just wanted to share this experience with anyone who is interested.

Oh good gosh, not a problem. More information is always good, and it was on topic.

Our vet did mention Chicago area as center of outbreak, so your location and situation seems to fit in just fine.
RV'ing since 1991

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Mad Norsky, Im sorry I didn't mean to Hi-Jack your thread, just wanted to share this experience with anyone who is interested.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dr Doug for jumping in there.

My three Cockers started coughing and sneezing about three days after they were exposed. We didn't have any other symptoms other than Summer who also has IBD and her immune system was a little compromised to begin with, she had a slight fever and little congestion, she was put on antibiotics. The other two were just fine, all three were much better after two weeks. Which we did keep them away from any others animals at that time.

We elected not to give them the flu shots at that time because it was too late. (:
If I had known before we boarded them that it was going around I would have given them the flu shots.

Im not in Chicago, im on the Il/Wisc. border and as Doug said it is spreading very fast.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
sometimes secondary bacterial infections can pile on and make the whole illness worse

Good point.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

dturm
JAXFL wrote:
"Symptoms were coughing, and sneezing"

Is this something that comes on fast? Like overnight or in a day or two?

Any other symptoms?

If there are no vaccines for it, is there any reason to take the dog to the vet?

This virus has hit our area pretty hard, we're near Chicago and it's spread. It is still recommended to get the flu vaccine as there MAY be some cross immunity even though the vaccine doesn't have the exact strain of flu in it.

The reason that you need to go to the vet if your dog gets sick is that medication can lessen the symptoms and sometimes secondary bacterial infections can pile on and make the whole illness worse.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
"Symptoms were coughing, and sneezing"

Is this something that comes on fast? Like overnight or in a day or two?

Any other symptoms?

If there are no vaccines for it, is there any reason to take the dog to the vet?
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bad part is there is no vaccine for this yet.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
My vet advised no contact with other dogs, especially nose-to-nose. Do not let them share food or water bowls, or toys. Do not take them to a dog park if you have other options.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, great advice from your Vet.

I live in the Chicago land area and we have 2 different strains going around.
I had my three Cockers boarded the end Of March for a few days.
All three of them ended up with the first Strain of flu/. Symptoms were coughing, and sneezing, some dogs were experiencing fevers which was causing secondary infections. Luckily my three are pretty healthy to begin with so it was very mild.

Here is the info I was given, some places are requiring flu shots before you can visit there facility's, personally I think that's not necessary but im not a vet either. lol. The only shots they have available is for the first strain.

Anyways some very good info here.

List of information sources and references:

CDC | Key Facts about Canine Influenza (Dog Flu) | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine/index.htm?fb_action_ids=354547724748145&fb_action_types=og.shares

CDC | Update on Canine Influenza (Dog Flu) Outbreak Reported in Chicago Area | News (Flu) | CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/news/canine-influenza-update.htm

Cornell University | Chicago Canine Influenza Virus Outbreak
https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/news/civchicago.cfm

Cornell University | Animal Health Diagnostic Center
https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/news/civ.cfm

AAHA | Count is high for canine influenza outbreak in Chicago
http://www.aaha.org/blog/NewStat/post/2015/04/08/813572/Count-is-high-for-canine-influenza-outbreak-in-Chicago.aspx

McHenry County IL | McHenry County, IL : Health News View : Animal Control cancels May 2 event; pets positive for H3N2 dog flu
https://www.co.mchenry.il.us/Home/Components/News/News/4159/1026?backlist=%2Fcounty-government%2Fdepartments-a-i%2Fhealth-department

CDC | Influenza A Virus (H3N8) in Dogs with Respiratory Disease, Florida - Volume 14, Number 6โ€”June 2008 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/14/6/07-1270_article
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels