cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New puppy - a few questions

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
My son moved back in with us for a couple months and brought his new puppy with him. We have two adult dogs, both current on vaccinations. The puppy will have her second round of shots on Friday and then he is bringing her up to our camping lot on Saturday. The puppy will be kept in an x-pen during the day and crate at night.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it OK to use K9 Advantix II on our dogs when they are around the puppy so much? Can the puppy use this or just Frontline?

2. There are a lot of deer at the campground and I'm not sure if there is anything we need to worry about transmitting to the puppy from the deer other than fleas and ticks.

This has been quite an adjustment. After going through the puppy phase the last time, I told my hubby that we would never get another puppy. Now here we are with another one. :R
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax
17 REPLIES 17

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently using Parastar & have had good success we were using Frontline but our Doc suggested the switch. We live in a very high tick area & have had several found crawling on us starting back in March. Dogs with Lyme and other tick borne diseases are very common here. Fleas are not much of an issue. Parastar says apply to puppies over 12 weeks of age.........

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like to use insecticides on my dogs unless I HAVE to (Aussies react to some chemicals) and mine aren't exposed to overly "buggy" places - but I WILL comb them with a flea comb nightly if they start scratching. Granted, a flea comb doesn't work on long-coated dogs; but for a Lab puppy, it would?

The flea comb also gives me an idea of the number of fleas on the dog - if I start finding more than a couple - THEN it's time to get something from the Vet. I know I can order stuff online, but I trust my Vet.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DonNH
Explorer
Explorer
We typically use Frontline on our Shepherd mix. Tried Advantix Plus a couple times. Each time, within a minute or so of applying, he started pacing and acting agitated. This would last a couple hours. Back to Frontline and no problems.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the eating, just watch her after she eats. If she starts hiccuping after meals, then she's probably eating air along with the food and that can be a problem. The other thing to watch is any food that is even remotely within reach of her or the other dogs. If she is that food oriented, she will likely be a food thief.

My Bat-dog is a food thief and inhales her meals - she is definitely not starving, but the desire for any and all food is extreme. At first, I thought it would make for an easy training tool, but she also tends to get possessive with food in her vicinity so it can create problems with her brother. I have caught him, Moose-dog, knocking food off the counter (she can't reach it) and then just letting her eat it (it was chocolate the first time - and he never even tried to eat any himself)... I suspect he's actually trying to kill her as she is a little snot.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
On the flea issue, is there something that is stronger than Frontline with less side effects than Advantix?

We have tried one of the tablets, either Trifexis or Comfortis, and it smelled so horrible that the dogs wouldn't go near it.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:
Not sure of a good answer for a dog that eats like there is no tomorrow. Our sons dog is a Ole English Bulldog / Norwegian Elk hound mix & he is the same way tried the bowls designed to slow them down & placed a heavy toy in the bowl really not sure that either helps much.

Good Luck.

So it must just be how she is wired. One of the reasons he moved back home is because his roommate's girlfriend thought he wasn't feeding the puppy enough because she always acts so ravenous. She would feed the puppy in her crate while my son was at work and the puppy would have accidents in the crate as a result. He tried explaining that it is just the way she is, she is getting plenty of food and that you can't feed a dog without giving them the chance to go to eliminate afterwards.

Not so happy that we aren't empty nesters anymore but happy that he is doing the right thing for the puppy. The puppy and our younger dog wear each other out which makes our older dog very happy because she gets to sit on the couch and do nothing. 🙂

Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
352 wrote:
You are aware that what kills the fleas kills the dog? Bluntly put. Research it!!!!!!!

I was going to let this go, but I just have to respond 🙂

This is a very sensational statement long on drama and short on facts. If you have research supporting your assertion, show it.

Have there been deaths reportedly associated with flea products? YES.

These terrible situations have been thoroughly investigated and fit into categories of:
1. owner error (using dog product on cats), improper dosing (using large dog dose on small dog)
2. specific product related problem (a specific Hartz product was implicated a few years ago)
3. use on a sick/debilitated animal
4. use of a product that was tampered with - specifically counterfeit product usually purchases cheaply on the internet from unknown sources.

What these sensational stories/statements fail to mention is that serious diseases ARE transmitted or spread by fleas and ticks and are a threat to people as well as your pets. Fleas and ticks are not just a nuisance.

Responses have mentioned Lyme disease, but other diseases happen as well: Bartonellosis, Erlichiosis, Rickettsial diseases (several including Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever), Meningoencephalitis, tapeworms, and most frightening to me is that there are new ones showing up that we don't know about.

One other note, in 37 years of practice I have not seen a single death from a flea/tick product; and that includes many years when the products used were not as safe as the spot ons we now have.

Reactions were not usual, but not uncommon - those being topical irritation where the spot on was applied.

BTW, advantix is labeled for use in puppies as young as 7 wks of age. Just make sure you use the appropriate size for the weight of the puppy.

Doug, DVM

I agree with you, to a point. What you do not mention is the use on an older dog(what is the definition of an older dog, who knows that answer?) The companies that sell these products, readily agree, they could cause damage to an older dog... Not just the sickly dogs as is commonly believed. The drugs filter through the liver and kidneys. As you well know, the older we get, the older the organs. As an example, children have better longevity after chemo because their organs are younger. Whether it be chemo or flea medicine, what you put into the body to kill the causative organisms can kill the user. After we lost two of our healthy older best friends from kidney failure, who were treated with top of the line flea products, advised and monitored by our DVM, we started our search. Like you, our DVM was not sold that it was the flea products, until he himself started to see his older clients passing away from one particular top of line product, usually from kidney failure. He no longer refers his clients to flea products after the age of seven years.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your view Doc I for one was hoping you would comment. There is so much false hype and misinformation on the internet. Then it gets spread....

Not sure of a good answer for a dog that eats like there is no tomorrow. Our sons dog is a Ole English Bulldog / Norwegian Elk hound mix & he is the same way tried the bowls designed to slow them down & placed a heavy toy in the bowl really not sure that either helps much.

Good Luck.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
The puppy (Nora) is an 8 week old black lab. She is my son's first dog and unfortunately, he got her when she was only 5 weeks old. She has adjusted just fine and crate training is going well.

He takes her to the vet on Friday and I will have him ask for flea med recommendations for the puppy. We have found that Frontline isn't very effective for our dogs so wanted to try Advantix, especially with all the news about ticks lately. Good to know that it is safe for 7 week old puppies. We also have some Zodiak house spray that I will use when the dogs I can put the dogs in their crates for a while.

One other question, is it normal for her to gobble her food down like she hasn't eaten in days? We have been told this is a "lab" thing. We keep food in our dogs dishes for them to eat whenever they want and they can ignore it for a day before eating it. I know we can't leave food down all the time with a puppy. She freaks out about food every feeding. She is fed 3 times a day and probably a little more than what is recommended on the bag.

Thank you for the advice.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
dturm wrote:
352 wrote:
You are aware that what kills the fleas kills the dog? Bluntly put. Research it!!!!!!!

This is a very sensational statement long on drama and short on facts. If you have research supporting your assertion, show it.

These terrible situations have been thoroughly investigated and fit into categories of:
1. owner error (using dog product on cats), improper dosing (using large dog dose on small dog)
2. specific product related problem (a specific Hartz product was implicated a few years ago)
4. use of a product that was tampered with - specifically counterfeit product usually purchases cheaply on the internet from unknown sources.

What these sensational stories/statements fail to mention is that serious diseases ARE transmitted or spread by fleas and ticks and are a threat to people as well as your pets. Fleas and ticks are not just a nuisance.

Responses have mentioned Lyme disease, but other diseases happen as well: Bartonellosis, Erlichiosis, Rickettsial diseases (several including Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever), Meningoencephalitis, tapeworms, and most frightening to me is that there are new ones showing up that we don't know about.

One other note, in 37 years of practice I have not seen a single death from a flea/tick product; and that includes many years when the products used were not as safe as the spot ons we now have.

Reactions were not usual, but not uncommon - those being topical irritation where the spot on was applied.

BTW, advantix is labeled for use in puppies as young as 7 wks of age. Just make sure you use the appropriate size for the weight of the puppy.

Doug, DVM

I'm glad you did speak up. I can't imagine going back to the days of ineffectual flea dips, collars, and Hartz products. There are also additional products like Zodiak yard & kennel spray and Zodiak household spray that can be used in conjunction with the topical products - if done per instructions, you can completely eliminate fleas in and around your home for years.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
My Shih Tzu had an adverse reaction to K9 Advantix II yesterday. It was the second time I'd applied it to him, which according to my vet is often when an adverse reaction occurs. Within two hours of application he got extremely itchy and like he couldn't stand to be in his own skin. So I gave him a bath in Dawn dish detergent and took him to the vet to be checked out. He was given a shot of Benadryl and we discussed another option for parasite control.

Does that mean I think K9 Advantix II is dangerous/bad/should be dissed all over the Internet? No. It just means it's not the right product for this particular dog. My oldest son adversely reacts to amoxicillin. Does that mean it's a bad drug overall? No. Of course not.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

dturm
352 wrote:

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you did not mention is how old is the puppy? or the breed, Large Dog? Small Dog.........

Talk to the Puppy's vet......

When our son's puppy came with us we did not worry about the big dogs Flea & Tick (nor did the vet) ....... But he is a bigger dog, at a year he's over 70 lbs and a working breed. When he was old enough (about 5 months) he was also put on a Lyme disease vaccine. (A lot of dogs are coming up with the disease here). At two months we had to start his puppy shots over as we could not get the info as to what he already had.

Good Luck !!!!!

TTT_member
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to go natural just go to cedarcide.com and get some best yet cedar oil. Put some in a mister or spray bottle and spray starting at the legs up to along the side of your pet. Then do your shoes up to your legs! All natural and smells great! I have been using this for years to fog my chicken coop and when my 3 dogs and I are going outdoors!